Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What is your most shameful moment(s) of gluttony?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Mr Daniel F. O'Leary

What is your most shameful moment(s) of gluttony?

Post by Mr Daniel F. O'Leary »

I'll start...

I once ate 6-7 penguin bars in a single sitting. This was because I somehow developed an addiction to the things (more like the sugar that's in them), and I had my hands in my face after I realised what I did. Haven't had them too many since then, though.

There's also times where we bought cans of of Pringles and 2l bottles of Fizzy Drinks and I ended up demolishing them (with little to no help, BTW) by myself in the space of a few hours.

Re: What is your most shameful moment(s) of gluttony?

Post by 95438756 »

Pffft.

More commonplace than you think.
A large minority Irish people prefer moments of gluttony than pursuing / investing in a constructive past time.
I'm not spouting gibberish... Read stuff like Angela's ashes. Interspersed with moment where the author indulges in eating cakes and biscuits drooling down the mouth, and "pawties" once he hits the US. Had an acquaintance in college too back in the day and although he was a third year student he developed a notable hygiene problem more like the more immature fresher students
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I cannot remember a specific incident, but I do know that on occasion I may have been given a box of chocolates for my birthday over the years by one or other of my children....and I have not shared them!! :P Guess that means I ate them all myself. :twisted:

One of the worst things for inducing overeating is exhaustion (I find) - throw in airports and plane delays and I will eat anything (not meat) in any amount :lol: Airports are generally hell (for me).
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

July 1986. 9 years old. Ballinglanna holiday homes Clonakilty, Cork. I demolished a big family bag of M&Ms and shortly afterwards spewed multi coloured chocolate puke all over the kitchen. If I recall, M&Ms were new to the Irish market at the time, obviously they "didn't agree with me".
Memento Mori

Post by Memento Mori »

I am a confirmed glutton - cannot be trusted to do the shopping unsupervised or to be left alone with sweets in the house.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I recall a spectacle of gluttony now. My first born, age three, was with us at a pagan festival. He had been raised fully vegetarian and, completely coincidentally, looked like a white-haired blue-eyed angel child. We were gathered in a circle doing something, (no not that, you sillies), and the feast was laid out nearby on tables under some trees. We got to the food after a short while and there was my small angel, under the main table, with the bare bones of the centrepiece rabbit, which he had eaten in an atavistic frenzy 😊
Whoops.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Memento Mori wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:28 pm I am a confirmed glutton - cannot be trusted to do the shopping unsupervised or to be left alone with sweets in the house.
I'm another that if left unchecked I'll buy nothing but sweets, biscuits and soft drinks.

It's so bad that I generally have to write a shopping list and impose a budget on myself.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:45 am I'm another that if left unchecked I'll buy nothing but sweets, biscuits and soft drinks.

It's so bad that I generally have to write a shopping list and impose a budget on myself.
Yes, this. Have warned the missus not to let me out to the shops when I'm hungry. I'll come back with multiple pastries from the bakery and demolish them with a mug of coffee. It's not uncommon for me to wolf and entire pack of jaffa cakes with a cuppa either. :oops:
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

When you have kids you soon learn that you go to the bathroom to eat biscuits
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:45 am I'm another that if left unchecked I'll buy nothing but sweets, biscuits and soft drinks.

Well, that failed again. I "found" the money in the self imposed shopping list and limit to buy a sharing size bag of Malteasers and a sharing bag of M&M's when calling to Dunnes on the way home after work today. Both are now gone.....
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Electric Picnic 2014

Went at it hard on the Friday. Drinking from 2.00pm to 3.30am - mixture of pints, cans of McArdles and Newcastle Brown Ale
Started up again at 10.00am on the Saturday morning after a bad night's sleep. Ice in cooler bag had melted so it was warm McArdles.
Fairly shook on Saturday night.

By Sunday midday my three friends were fucked and I wasn't much better. They decided to cut their losses and bale out. I said I'd stay for a few hours until I was safe to drive. Catch Simple Minds and Sinéad O'Connor. Decided on some food first. Was planning on getting noodles but passed a stall selling pulled pork in a baguette. Two options - spent about five minutes trying to decide which one and ended up going for both. Two 12" baguettes. Managed to eat them all but felt totally stuffed afterwards like the protagonist from The Wolf & The Seven Little Kids before he jumps down the well.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Once I flew back from Switzerland and got three large (like 15 inch long by about 4 inch wide) chocolate bars - for "gifts".

One didnt survive the 2 hour flight and the other two went that night.

The weight loss surgery could not come soon enough!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:22 pm Well, that failed again. I "found" the money in the self imposed shopping list and limit to buy a sharing size bag of Malteasers and a sharing bag of M&M's when calling to Dunnes on the way home after work today. Both are now gone.....
Why do they insist on calling them "sharing" bags when they must know we ain't gonna share and if you try to put a paw near the bag we will make a noise like a rabid wolverine!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:06 am Why do they insist on calling them "sharing" bags when they must know we ain't gonna share and if you try to put a paw near the bag we will make a noise like a rabid wolverine!!!
McDonald’s removed their supersize option shortly after the 2004 documentary “supersize me”.

We can still buy large amounts of chocolate though under the pretence of sharing :lol: