Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What was on the trucks?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
schmittel
Verified Username

What was on the trucks?

Post by schmittel »

I have just driven back from Spain via Bilbao. About 120km south of Bilbao stopped for fuel in big services area. As we pulled in we saw about 10 what we thought were Guardia Civil, armed, bullet proof vests etc, loitering around a few trucks parked. At first glance it look they were about to search the trucks for contraband.

When I went to pay for my fuel, one of these guys was in the queue in front of me, and up close it became clear they weren't Guardia Civil, but a private security firm, but still armed to the teeth etc.

We watched them all leave. The guy buying the fuel, was travelling on his own in a marked car (security firm logos) at the front of a convoy of four totally normal looking curtain side artics, two of them travelled in an unmarked car in the middle of the convoy, and the rest of them travelled in the cabs of the lorries.

If we hadn't seen them stopped and just passed them on the road we would have thought absolutely nothing of it. There was nothing to suggest this was some sort of high value cargo that needed protecting.

The artics were marked with a non Descript transport firm name based in Cadiz, and given that we only saw them once again on our journey to Bilbao we suspect we diverged when they diverted towards the French border. Or delivered somewhere in Northern Spain I guess. i.e we didn't see them arrive at the port in Bilbao.

Anybody care to guess what it was? I've no idea, but we speculated for ages on the journey and couldn't come up with anything. Everything legit we suggested would have involved some sort of government transport, and hence the security would be military/guardia civil and a lot more visible.
Mirabeau

Re: What was on the trucks?

Post by Mirabeau »

I'm not saying it was aliens but ...
It was aliens
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Quarrying explosives?
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh, definitely Aliens.
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

Setanta wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:09 pm Quarrying explosives?
That was one of our ideas, but we googled it a bit, and it looks like their is an EU directive with pretty strict regulations for transport of explosives by road - rigid body vehicles, hazardous/explosive warning decals etc.

These were just bog standard curtain sides with no distinct markings.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

EU eggs for Wetherspoons. :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Maybe it was some ex-CIA types carrying Bin Laden (or maybe's Trump's extra hair pieces) on a secret GOP mission to discredit sleepy Joe?

Or maybe they found Hunters Laptop and didn't want the CIA/FBI/Big Government to get it?
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Bags of imagination
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:11 am Bags of imagination
Truckloads maybe?
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:15 am Truckloads maybe?
Of mushrooms.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Building materials.....as they are more expensive and valuable than gold now. :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Armaments maybe. Spain's defense industry has had a fair bit of investment recently. They do about 3 billion in export. Apparently it's the world's seventh largest arms exporter . Over 20,000 employees. Several hundred factories Maybe it was munitions/ hardware going north through France and on to Ukraine?
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Probably a load of nukes from the FCA stores at the Glen of Imaal.
'no more blah blah blah'
schmittel
Verified Username

Post by schmittel »

isha wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:18 pm Armaments maybe. Spain's defense industry has had a fair bit of investment recently. They do about 3 billion in export. Apparently it's the world's seventh largest arms exporter . Over 20,000 employees. Several hundred factories Maybe it was munitions/ hardware going north through France and on to Ukraine?
This is exactly what a lorry driver I got chatting to on the ferry said, after a lot of head scratching.

He said the whole thing sounded very unusual and claimed to have seen almost everything in 40 years of driving lorries all over Europe.

He reckoned the most plausible explanation was weapons en route to Ukraine. This sort of cargo would normally have more visible/official security but because of the political sensitivities of officially arming Ukraine, the subtle approach was preferred in this instance.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To be clear, I was not that lorry driver on the ferry 🙂
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Damn you Isha and your sensible logic!