Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Maintenance jobs that give you that satisfaction feeling.

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
KHD

Maintenance jobs that give you that satisfaction feeling.

Post by KHD »

Was looking at a video of someone in China tapping the roof of a house and big slabs of snow falling off and found it something I'd get great satisfaction out of. Got me thinking of what mundane tasks I do that I look forward to doing and give me that chuffed and satisfaction feeling.

For me it's unblocking drains / channels in the fields / ditches and watching the water start to flow. This satisfaction also occurs when I've cleared a blockage from my septic tank, which i won't go into. :mrgreen:

Also having nothing but a long handled pruner, clippers and hand saw when cutting or tidying hedgerows and looking at the neat job I've done.

What are yours ?

Last edited by KHD on Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KHD

Re: Maintenance jobs that give you that satisfaction feeling.

Post by KHD »

Another one is part of my Christmas routine, I get a load of aa and aaa batteries and do my annual replacement of old batteries in remote controls and clocks... I've loads of clocks...most I wouldn't look at from one end of the year to the next... but they have to be done. :mrgreen: After doing that chore I know I'm ready for the new year. 😀
KHD

Post by KHD »

Greasing machinery. This truly can be both a highly enjoyable task and very frustrating one. I will only post about the enjoyable ones this time. I'm on my last grease nipple, the grease tube is probably nearly empty, working the grease gun and praying that the gentle cracking sound comes soon... and then you hear it. I thank the gods that I didn't have to go back to the shed for another tube or worse, your on your last tube.

The annual greasing of the boards and disks on my plough. This is something that turns into my own little personal moment of artistic endeavour. I purposely choose blue lithium grease. I spread it on with my nitrile gloves and stand back and admire the colours and the smell. :mrgreen:

My clothes ruined and grease everywhere it was worth the effort.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's certainly TMI but I have had to learn to unblock the sewage pipes and also the septic tank because himself often works away and it has to be done. There is a problem with the falloff degree of the pipes and there are not infrequent problems. It could be seen as gruesome and in some ways it is, but there is something strangely satisfying about getting all the sludge moving properly again.

I like cleaning out the stove too, especially when you get to draw out all that invisible ash under the cooking compartment. It gets dragged by the long handled flat end poker thingy in silent ripples out into my container. And there's always more, it's weirdly satisfying. I like it.

This year I'm going to try and paint the whole pebble dash outside of the house. In small bits, over a long time, just bit by bit till it's done. I hope it will be satisfying though I'm a bit nervous. There are some high gables so I'm a bit worried about them, about the long ladder etc. I'm not going to use a roller as I hate the flecks and fine spray that inevitably comes off rollers. I'm going to be daubing it on with a masonry brush.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:40 pm It's certainly TMI but I have had to learn to unblock the sewage pipes and also the septic tank because himself often works away and it has to be done. There is a problem with the falloff degree of the pipes and there are not infrequent problems. It could be seen as gruesome and in some ways it is, but there is something strangely satisfying about getting all the sludge moving properly again.

I like cleaning out the stove too, especially when you get to draw out all that invisible ash under the cooking compartment. It gets dragged by the long handled flat end poker thingy in silent ripples out into my container. And there's always more, it's weirdly satisfying. I like it.

This year I'm going to try and paint the whole pebble dash outside of the house. In small bits, over a long time, just bit by bit till it's done. I hope it will be satisfying though I'm a bit nervous. There are some high gables so I'm a bit worried about them, about the long ladder etc. I'm not going to use a roller as I hate the flecks and fine spray that inevitably comes off rollers. I'm going to be daubing it on with a masonry brush.
I'd rather buy a new cooker than clean it out :mrgreen: ( half joking there )

I done the pebble dash on the house last year after years of putting it off. Used a brush too and actually got into it. Would do one bucket per painting session. Made large squares from top to bottoom and painted them in and that way it felt like I was making progress. :D
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

KHD wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:00 pm I'd rather buy a new cooker than clean it out :mrgreen: ( half joking there )

I done the pebble dash on the house last year after years of putting it off. Used a brush too and actually got into it. Would do one bucket per painting session. Made large squares from top to bottoom and painted them in and that way it felt like I was making progress. :D
That's exactly my plan of action. Squaring off blocks of it and doing a bit every time I get free time. Otherwise it's too daunting.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Cleaning the dust that builds up out of electronics air inputs like on a pc, laptop or gaming console. They work better with the better airflow and make far less noise, always really satisfying.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Digging over garden soil. I often wonder if this is in the genes as before my ancestors moved into the trades, we were market gardeners. Nothing more therapeutic than breaking clods into fine tilth. Getting a bit beyond it now though. :(
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

For me, it's spending a few hours properly cleaning / detailing a car. I do like to keep things nice and clean.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:31 pm For me, it's spending a few hours properly cleaning / detailing a car. I do like to keep things nice and clean.
I'm terrible about that. I have it looking like a tractor, carrying around all manner of stuff. Even my husband, who is no clean freak by any means, is horrified by what I can stuff into it. Firewood, sand, wellies, Christmas trees, a million shopping bags, piles of notes and research for jobs, plus the stash of electronics that I have been trying to bring to the recycling centre for six months!

It's odd because I keep the house well, but the poor car gets only one good going over a year - which was yesterday, as it happens - when I clean it spotless for the NCT. Which was yesterday! But then right before it there was a dental emergency for one of the children home visiting and I had to bring them urgently to a dentist and miss the NCT. But at least the car is spotless now.... for a while . . until I start stuffing things into it again!! 🙂
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ah geez Isha you would go mad when you hear that I'm going stupid here as I couldn't clean the car this week with the weather and now that the powerhose has shat itself........

I'm so bad that I've been known to take the wheels off and clean behind them.

Some call it obsessional...

Edit - yes, I did say this week.
KHD

Post by KHD »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 pm I'm so bad that I've been known to take the wheels off and clean behind them.

That's some impressive attention to detail Joe. I do get satisfaction out of washing away the suds off the car with the help of my watering can. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:44 pm Ah geez Isha you would go mad when you hear that I'm going stupid here as I couldn't clean the car this week with the weather and now that the powerhose has shat itself........

I'm so bad that I've been known to take the wheels off and clean behind them.

I have the beginnings of moss growing on parts of my car 😛

But I did get the powerhose fixed this week. Second time in six months. 82 quid 😡
Though now I can wash the paths again. That's another job that I get satisfaction out of. Might even give the car an oul blast - you have me feeling ashamed.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

isha wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:09 pm I have the beginnings of moss growing on parts of my car 😛
Oh God, I'm breaking out at the thoughts of that.

I passed a 201 reg "white" car at work this morning and it was green. I shook my head in disgust and was overheard saying that it was a disgrace. I may get in trouble for that....
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh, Isha, quick tip for the paths. Get Chloras in the local creamery. It's designed for cleaning milking parlors and diluted spread on paths, its fantastic for getting rid of the moss, snoss, green gunk etc.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I bought a house recently. The fan in the bathroom used to howl like a banshee. Then for about a week it would start slow before kicking in to high pitch whining mode. Then sometimes it wouldn't start for a few minutes. When I finally got the time, I took it down and it was caked with dust and crud.
I took some pics for later and took it apart. I took out one of my trusty used toothbrushes that I keep for just such reasons and went to town.
Once I put it back together and got it back in place it hummed so sweet like I imagine a well tuned Ferrari does.
Pure satisfaction.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Maintenance jobs? Does cleaning your shoes and boots count?

Sunday evening, the newspaper is laid out on the table and the brushes put to work.

There is nothing better than putting on a pair of well broken in and properly cared for shoes or boots. They'll fit and feel better than anything short lived and fashionable, and over their lifespan prove much more economical a purchase too.
KHD

Post by KHD »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:51 am Maintenance jobs? Does cleaning your shoes and boots count?

Sunday evening, the newspaper is laid out on the table and the brushes put to work.

There is nothing better than putting on a pair of well broken in and properly cared for shoes or boots. They'll fit and feel better than anything short lived and fashionable, and over their lifespan prove much more economical a purchase too.
Absolutely, I know a man who was in the Irish Army and he is very particular about caring for his shoes. He takes great pleasure in it. I'd be the opposite, sometimes I walk in long wet grass outside the house to take the rough look off my shoes if I've muck on them :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yiz are all making me feel like I'm a lazy, filthy, undisciplined savage. :cry:

The best I can manage in the context of this thread - other than the cliché'd satisfaction of "a job well done" - is that (very brief) moment just after tidying up a space I've been working in, including sweeping/vacuuming/wiping down all horizontal and vertical surfaces and being able to stand back, look at it and say "that's that done".

And then it's on to the next job (which almost inevitably means the aforementioned clean and tidy space gets messed up :x ).
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

If it makes you feel better CR, my shoes wanted a life like JayZeus's shoes, instead they get to live life being dragged undignified through the long wet grass like KHD 's. 😭
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

When it comes to shoes, the greatest satisfaction is making them....

A good friend of mine is a 7th generation shoemaker and lives in the UK. he offered to teach me shoe making in the traditional manner, and said he could do it over the internet. Which I laughed at. He persevered with the offer, which I ended up accepting. And this was the result, which I have never worn, although they are the best fitting shoe I have. I just dont want to dirty my precious :lol:
Attachments
DSCF5127.JPG
DSCF5127.JPG (115.96 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
DSCF5125.JPG
DSCF5125.JPG (130.9 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Wow!
KHD

Post by KHD »

Amazing work and love the colours.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:37 am If it makes you feel better CR, my shoes wanted a life like JayZeus's shoes, instead they get to live life being dragged undignified through the long wet grass like KHD 's. 😭
Reading how you treat your car is what makes me feel better! I can relate to that. :lol:

Post by 678904673 »

Cleaning out my sex cave