Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Away from the madness of geopolitics ...

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Away from the madness of geopolitics ...

Post by CelticRambler »

This could have gone in "woodworking" ... or maybe "farming" ... or "favourite YouTube videos" ... or any number of other threads. I couldn't decide, so here it is in it's own right:

Might be hard going with auto-translate subtitles, as it's all in French (spoken with a Swiss accent), but a year-in-the-life report on a most interesting fellow, Hans-Martin Bader. Born in Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Bavaria, he moved to Switzerland and lives a life of self-sufficiency using a couple of horses to plough his field, and makes stringed instruments to bring in a bit of money.

No computer, no TV, no mobile ... no stress.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Away from the madness of geopolitics ...

Post by kadman »

I must confess that at first I thought " a french language video "..what the hell would i be watching that for.
But I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, that it would be as interesting to watch no matter.

Well, it was. The most enjoyable vid I have watched on Gubu. I have so many questions because I no speaka da lingo, boss.
But no matter, I enjoyed it and thought,,,if I was french that could well be me....amazing skills, amazing animals....

Thanks for posting. I assume the timber was lime, sycamore, plane or similar.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 pmI have so many questions because I no speaka da lingo, boss. ...
If they're keeping you awake at night, ask away and I might know where he gave the answer. :mrgreen:

Or maybe not:
kadman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:05 pmI assume the timber was lime, sycamore, plane or similar.
He didn't say. I was wondering that too, as it looked a lot paler than I'm used to seeing, even after varnishing. Next time I'm over that-away on my travels, I'll keep a keener eye out for the local style and see if there's someone who knows.

Oh yeah - no TV or computer ... but he does have a Stihl chainsaw! :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:18 pm If they're keeping you awake at night, ask away and I might know where he gave the answer. :mrgreen:

Or maybe not:

He didn't say. I was wondering that too, as it looked a lot paler than I'm used to seeing, even after varnishing. Next time I'm over that-away on my travels, I'll keep a keener eye out for the local style and see if there's someone who knows.

Oh yeah - no TV or computer ... but he does have a Stihl chainsaw! :lol:
I am pretty sure the curved laminations he was working on at the start were sycamore. As they appear to have figurative grain that we call here fiddleback sycamore.....because its normally used for fiddle due to the beautiful patterning. So that fits.
The neck was pale and carved so easily I suspects its lime, as its a timber used in instrument making, so that fits.
I need to know whi his helper is, she seems to be dedicated to the work required for the horses and gardening.

I must say the horse playing in the field seem to be the happiest animals i laid eyes on. Absolutely beautiful. I would love a good gander in his workshop....I would end up squatting there.....as in an unlawful occupant of it :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:21 pm I need to know whi his helper is, she seems to be dedicated to the work required for the horses and gardening.
She's a sort of apprentice or pupil. A nurse by profession, she's been coming to visit him at intervals (sometimes weeks, sometimes months, he says) over the previous two years, to learn those old-school farming techniques, possibly with a view to "retiring" into a similar way of life herself in due course.

The relationship between them doesn't seem to be particularly personal. One of the advantages of being able to speak the language is picking up on subtleties like the fact that they both use the "vous" form of address when speaking directly to each other. That's very formal, especially for country folk who've been working together for a couple of years.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I particularly liked his "grain silo" (at 32m10s) - think I'm going to have to make myself one of those now! He grows four different cereals - rye, oats, barley and wheat, and mills his own blend for his bread.

My house used to have a bread oven like his until the previous live-in owner gave the place a major modernist makeover in the 50s. He demolished the oven to have more space in the courtyard for his pigs and poultry. :( But he kept the bricks, in case some day they might come in useful. So did I ... and finally they did, a few months ago. :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I liked his method of ploughing/planting of the spuds. Makes perfect sense, and a sort of no digging method of planting. Simple things, dontcha luv them. :D
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

Poor lad probably never played Assassins Creed.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Mirabeau wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:04 am Poor lad probably never played Assassins Creed.
Gaw on outta dat you gurrier...... :lol: