Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Crappy rites of passage

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Crappy rites of passage

Post by 95438756 »

So what noteworthy shitty rites of passage did my other fellow gubernites go through?

For me head and shoulders above the rest was going to the Rathcairn Gaeltacht in summer of 1987.
Learning a few songs and playing board games. The outdoors games were okay. And then it was over. Never went to the Gaeltacht again.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Crappy rites of passage

Post by Del.Monte »

Being stripped naked by my 'friends' on Dublin's Clare Street on the night of my 21st birthday - luckily it was pre-internet and no digital cameras back then. Beat that! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Have to say the Corpus Christi Processions of my younger years stand out to me as weird. Even as a fairly devoted Catholic child - which I was right up until I had a sudden de-conversion at 16 - I used to think there was something a bit voodoo about them. Us all out in our Communion or Confirmation gear, giving them another outing, following loads of priest and nuns and people carrying canopies, flags and I seem to remember at least one time there was a statue transported through the town.

Another crappy right of passage, I remember the first time I tried yoghurt. It was just coming into fashion in Ireland and my mother didn't want to be left behind. She forced us to eat yoghurt which had orange bits in it. I thought it was vile, worse than sour milk, I literally thought it tasted like vomit.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

The Gaeltacht was a crappy but also useful rite of passage for me - second time staying away from home and first as a teenager. I was bullied and learned a few things about people, myself and life.

Others included finishing the junior and leaving cert exams and receiving results for them - there were going to be the best celebrations and maddest nights out EVER afterwards yet all were massive anti climaxes. Not helped by me doing subjects in the leaving which were some of the last to be examined, well after most others had finished. Then I remember collecting the results on a sunny August day in the mid 90s, hanging around with a couple of lads I was fairly friendly with afterwards then just going home due to boredom. I haven't seen either of them since, nearly 30 years ago now.

Post by 678904673 »

I genuinely can't think of any which saddens me, as reading some of the above I feel like I've missed out. Although I'm probably better for having do so:)
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I worked in factory for about 6 months in Galway.
The longterm inmates seemed to think a new person like myself had to prove themselves.
Well that didn't work for me brother.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

At 21 going the football with my dad and getting so hammered after that my mother had to call in sick for us both for two days after!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

"rites of passage??" don't they involve having friends and such ? :D :cry: :lol:
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>

Post by 95438756 »

Enoch Von Clausewitz wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:50 pm "rites of passage??" don't they involve having friends and such ? :D :cry: :lol:
If you don't have any or never had any, that won't stop you posting something bof your own experience mate
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Getting drunk on a hot summers day on buckfast

Singing now disputed songs, on terraces at matches🤫

Attending ploughing matches and buying fireworks

Getting bogged on tractor while working on marginal ground and piss getting ripped outta ya
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I actually had a great time at both times I went to the Gaeltacht. Mainly because I got to shift girls. Lol.
Not just that though, got on well with practically everyone there.
I still have a very vivid memory of one of them.
I was big in to Ice Cube back then, had tapes and my Walkman. One of the other lads in the gaff had brought a ghetto blaster. So we pop the tape in, turn the volume up and proceed to walk into the town. I was cradling the boom box like a delicate child. We had on our baggy X-works etc. Some many heads turned to the sound of Ice Cube - Wiked, it was surreal. Most of the student from around the country didn't know what hit them.
This was before the internet but still managed to maintain a few friendships with non Dublin folk for a year or so, with the reunions happening in St. Stephen's green. Also stayed in contact with some of the Dublin girls from two different schools for a number of years.
In all, was great craic during and after.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Fruit picking in Lamb's or Scott's fruit farms to earn the money for Butlin's or Red Island, up at the crack of dawn and off with your bread and jam for the day. Hundreds of pre teens from Dublin's North Side every day queueing at the gates to be picked, I never remember being passed over, never felt like I was victimised, although we probably were, sun was always shining, crack was always ninety.

Post by 678904673 »

Being dragged down by my Father to join the under 10 GAA team, as my Brother had before me, and being forced to keep playing until Minor. How it didnt turn me off GAA is a small miracle