Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Why Are We Here?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
isha
Verified Username

Re: Why Are We Here?

Post by isha »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:53 pm Biologically, it's a simple answer to a simple question. Is there another reason to ask?
Well? Is there? Bacteria also replicate. Is there more to your existence than replication? What if you are one of the many who don't fulfill the biological raison d'etre? There must be other reasons then.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
mariannaspring

Post by mariannaspring »

I think people only question when they're suffering.

Being honest, life has no inherent meaning for anyone. Whether you're the happiest, smartest, or richest person. We only start to question is when we feel like our efforts to live are futile.

If someone shot you up with heroin or gave you a line of coke to snort, life would still be meaningless but you wouldn't care.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

mariannaspring wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:37 pm I think people only question when they're suffering.

Being honest, life has no inherent meaning for anyone. Whether you're the happiest, smartest, or richest person. We only start to question is when we feel like our efforts to live are futile.

If someone shot you up with heroin or gave you a line of coke to snort, life would still be meaningless but you wouldn't care.
I think we often seek intoxication to get past meaninglessness.

And I agree suffering does induce such questions, but would contend that most people do suffer, it's rare not to. It may not be sustained. In some it may be more major than for others. But it is rarely entirely absent from a life.

But yes, I know what you mean - when things are going well we feel invincible, carefree, and skate along without thinking on the existential matters much.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

The YouTube thread we have is really only for clips and this is a one hour video. I really vibe with Iain McGilchrist's ideas. Watch out, he does mention the unfashionable word... spirituality. One can leave that aside if wished and still appreciate his philosophy based on the two sides of the brain. He is a fan of Wittgenstein if that helps. For reasons I presently can't remember I have had some issues with Wittgenstein, but I have not time to think why at this moment. The video fits in with this thread because the interview below is a simple summary of his views and addresses existential questions about our present civilisation.

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

There are two types of people.
1) me, who spent most of the five hours I was driving to and from a place last Tuesday agonising (yet again) over the meaning, the purpose of life. Silently. I was alone. ( Oh God, is that the answer 🤔😳)
2) my husband, who has just spent twenty solid minutes leaning on the window ledge in the spare bedroom watching the baby hare who lives in the garden, him sighing regularly with bliss and talking baby talk at the hare, and then when the hare scampered off, he said to me this is the life, this is why we are here.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Tip for the day: be more like your husband! :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

No. He's hairy.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That was unintentionally punny.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:05 amNo. He's hairy.
I thought we didn't discriminate against hairy women any more? :mrgreen:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Be more like the hare.

It doesn't care about , being woke, material possession, wealth, ect, ect and all the worldly things we care about. It doesn't lie, steal, cheat, being destructive to our neighbours and the planet, nor needs its ego massaged constantly.

Yeah, be more like the hare.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My hare likes sex and drugs and rock and roll. Desire is endless, grasshoppers. Even baby hares in the garden want food, sleep, shelter, survival and sex. They live a life full of small frights and wariness. Everything is cute until the foxes teeth arrive. Happy yoke, amnt I? 🤗😁

Ah no, I know what yiz mean, I get it. But things are deeper.

Post by 678904673 »

I'm coming to the conclusion that we're simply here to provide RTE 'Stars' with the means to enjoy a lavish liflestyle:)
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I'm here to make everyone sane feel better about themselves 😂😂😂