Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Food you loved as a kid..

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Food you loved as a kid..

Post by Del.Monte »

This article https://www.theguardian.com/food/2023/m ... el-delight from the Guardian resonated with me and, indeed, several of the items were favourites of mine. Anybody here who was conscious in the 1970's will probably remember them. I have happy memories of Smash instant potato, Angel Delight and the 'meat free' Fray Bentos steak and kidney pies. Funnily enough they were introduced to me by my grandmother who was a super cook but being born in 1899 she was obviously taken by the novelty and the ease of preparation. Back then e numbers, additives etc. were alien to most of us and instant gratification/convenience was everything. ....Any favourites?

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: Food you loved as a kid..

Post by isha »

Angel Delight. As kids we were thrilled by it.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

Not exactly a food but I can still remember the excitement the evening my Father bought home a Sodastream maker.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

My sister trained as a nurse in Liverpool and one of my enduring memories of going to visit her was sausages and beans in a tin. We never seemed to get anything like that in Ireland, but there again my mother prepared everything from scratch.

Post by 678904673 »

Tins of Corned Beef. My Grandmother use to have a press full of them. I remember I use to cut of big chunks and wolf them down. Mind you the salt in them use to make my eyes water
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Corned beef. This feels like something from the 19tg century but my mother used to send us to a local country shop on Saturday mornings and a really incredibly old woman would wind off the top of a large long rectangle tin of corned beef and then heat all sides of the tin against the flame of the Superser so the fat would melt and it would slide out easier. Then she would slice it up to the quantity my mother wanted and feed us slivers of it as she went, from her fingers to our mouths, like we were a huddle of cats on the other side of the counter.

How did Gen Xers make it this far?? 🤣
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I think I only had Angel Delight twice, or at most three times, during my childhood. One of those was in the Gaeltacht. It was lovely! :D

At home, I absolutely loved Ready Brek on toast.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Angel Delight was magic as a kid.
Jelly and Icecream was another fav that I wouldn't touch nowadays.
Anyone remember a fizzy drink called Football Special? It was kind of reddish/pink? I think it was a subtle cherry flavour. It was a household favorite.
I used to love Goodfellas from pizzas
Chicken Kiev (I've been veggie for over 20 years now though)
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Campbells meatballs in onion gravy. (With Smash)

Findus crispy pancakes (with scalded chin on occasion)

Birdseye potato waffles (with baked beans)

Birdseye cod fish fingers (with bread and butter)

Real corned beef (with peas from the garden and mashed spuds)

Mogerley Spiceburgers and a single (and yeah, split the bag)

Fresh Ray (and a single, as above)

Toasted batch, on a fork in front of the superser, with homemade marmalade.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I used to love Campbell's meatballs although they always had a strangely chemical taste from what I remember - I may have to search them out again!
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Fat Frogs (Ice pops)
Golly Bars
Wibbly Wobbly Wonder
Calypo
Tangle Twister
Wham Bars
Dan Bar
Frosties (sweets)
Nerds
Runts
Dweebs
Penny logs
White Chocolate Mice
Stinger Bars
Snax
Mint Feast
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Time bars. You forgot them. You could get a whole afternoon chawing out of them.
Quarter of bullseyes.
Peggy's legs.
Candy cigarettes.

There's a kind of sad thing this topic has made me think of. Younger people probably wouldn't believe it.

There was a huge degree of conditioned misogyny in Irish society not so long ago. And it manifested in weird ways. Like girls having to iron their brothers clothes etc.

But re food, it was like this for me...
The three brothers got the breast meat or their rotating turn to get a chicken leg on Sunday (my father got the other one). This I think is because there was a belief that boys aught to be strengthened and nourished. Me and the sisters got the wings and other lesser meat. Since I became vegetarian at 16, this meant that even though we had chicken every Sunday of my life till I left home, I have never eaten a chicken leg.

Jaysis, you could write a misery novel out of the bones of that 🤣
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jaysus is right - like something out of Dickens! As for me - only child and raised by my grandparents with no siblings to fight with me over food. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Beans on toast with a slice of cheese under the beans - and just had it today too!! NOM!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 678904673 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:59 pm Beans on toast with a slice of cheese under the beans - and just had it today too!! NOM!!!
I like the sound of that. Tea is officially sorted
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:03 pm I like the sound of that. Tea is officially sorted
It was lovely!!!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I still have potato waffles and beans around once a month.

Add Vesta Curry to the above list
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh I HATED Smash, Angel Delight, corned beef , fruit cocktail.

Potato Waffles are still a secret comfort food, especially when between two slices of toast.....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I haven't had potato waffles for ages. They were one of the special treats I used to buy when I took the camper to England (from France) ... but there's feck all reason to go to England these days, and I can't bring back my other special treat - Melton Mowbray pork pies. :cry:
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Anyone else use to make sugar sandwiches?

2 slices of plain white bread, butter both pieces, sprinkle sugar on piece, press together and enjoy the creamy, doughy, sugariness.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:22 pm I haven't had potato waffles for ages. They were one of the special treats I used to buy when I took the camper to England (from France) ... but there's feck all reason to go to England these days, and I can't bring back my other special treat - Melton Mowbray pork pies. :cry:
Melton Mowbray pork pies are great. I get them in M&S here.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:18 pm Melton Mowbray pork pies are great. I get them in M&S here.
We don't have M&S in France. Not real ones anyway. And no chilled pork products from Britain. Brexit, innit.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:40 pm We don't have M&S in France. Not real ones anyway. And no chilled pork products from Britain. Brexit, innit.
All this talk of pork pies has made me all nostalgic for 1970s/80s British Rail pies and ham sandwiches. I was once a patron of such fine eateries as Holyhead and Crewe station buffets in the wee small hours of the morning... :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Norman Breaks wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm Anyone else use to make sugar sandwiches?

2 slices of plain white bread, butter both pieces, sprinkle sugar on piece, press together and enjoy the creamy, doughy, sugariness.
My dad lived on them!!!!!