Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Cut off a friend or family member addicted to drugs?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
mariannaspring

Cut off a friend or family member addicted to drugs?

Post by mariannaspring »

I saw a thread on Reddit on this topic and the majority of people say they would distance themselves or totally cut off someone who was addicted to drugs apart from weed. I think that's a bit harsh. Many people said the same even with a former addict for fear that they might rob from them.

People can obviously associate themselves with whoemever they want but it does seem a bit judgmental. I can understand cutting off a friend but a close family member? Unless they threaten to kill you it would seem that getting them rehab is best.

Re: Cut off a friend or family member addicted to drugs?

Post by 95438756 »

Had a drug dealer use me as a comfort blanket up to a year ago.
Before then, I had given him Christmas gifts in the form of a modelling book and a hubsan x4 drone without a camera on it. I TRIED to help him. He kept on making utterly pathetic excuses for himself and our last conversations were his own way as having a pity party. He was also set up as with his own rental apartment to rent out in a capacity of him being a landlord. He fucked that up good and proper. No thanks for you OP.
EDIT
There was a moderator on boards IE with a parent affected with drug abuse. She posted her story. That is long deleted but was one of the best passages I ever saw in boards. .
The moderator closed her profile several years ago
Long term boardsies will know who I'm talking about.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

The whole country is on drugs, professionals down to the rock and rollers.
If they want to straighten themselves out help then but forcing them to go to rehab will be fruitless.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I don't know anyone presently who is addicted to hard drugs.

Long ago I knew a few who were. The drama around even very peripheral involvement in their lives was unbelievable. Casting spells and possession level shit. Nah. Would not recommend.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

To be honest though, having come from a long line of alcoholics and seeing what that does to whole clans, I have very low tolerance for people who drink too much as well. Much underestimated drug.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

mariannaspring wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:50 pm I saw a thread on Reddit on this topic and the majority of people say they would distance themselves or totally cut off someone who was addicted to drugs apart from weed. I think that's a bit harsh. Many people said the same even with a former addict for fear that they might rob from them.

People can obviously associate themselves with whoemever they want but it does seem a bit judgmental. I can understand cutting off a friend but a close family member? Unless they threaten to kill you it would seem that getting them rehab is best.
As the old saying goes: If you cant beat them join them
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I had a friend who had problems with prescription drugs.
He abused them and used them with drink.
He wasn't good to be around.
Very hard to be around someone like that nevermind trying to help them.
It got the point where it was personally detrimental NOT to distance myself.