Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

What are you buying?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Norman Breaks

What are you buying?

Post by Norman Breaks »

What have you bought recently with your hard earned spondulix?

On Saturday I procured a stack of 60 wax recordings of the 'Drum and Bass' variety. All 2000s or earlier. Gently used and in pretty good finding. Not the cheapest price but then again, vinyl is on the upswing. $400 CAD for the lot, he threw in 5 bonus records so it comes out to $6.15 per piece.
Xe.com tells me that is close to 4.20 EUR, a decent bit cheaper that the 5 EUR Spindizzy was charging per 12" last time I was there.
I will probably have a mix ready for about this time next week.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: What are you buying?

Post by JayZeus »

A new bandsaw and some other woodworking tools, near enough to one cubic meter of European beech for some projects this year and next. Fairly well sorted now so expecting to spend fairly little in future months.

Also bought a good used car last month as the company car is no longer an available benefit. That was a bit of a financial ouch in one hit, but glad to not be paying a loan or BIK so I’ll get over it.

Another couple of months worth of dried, tinned and similar foodstuffs put in the larder. We’re running with about a 12 month buffer there now, which is great for peace of mind. I work in a tech/software startup, in sales, so the tech sector layoffs are a bit of a worry.

A few bob aside each month now and I’ll see what kind of holiday we’ll manage with the missus this year. Probably head west and spend a week or ten days floating around Kerry. Haven’t done that for many years but always enjoyed it.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

On the imminent end of cash a vintage or classic car is next purchase.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My biggest purchases always come out of the blue. They start with a new light showing up on the dashboard or an unexpected rattling/grinding/shrieking noise in the body of the car 😑

But for ordinary things that are not groceries my next purchase will be a self inflating camping mattress as I am keeping my eyes open for the earliest opportunity to have some sunny days camping on Inisbofin before the schools close for summer. The bus and ferry fees will be things I'm buying also then.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

Nothing yet. But I'm thinking of buying this for Uncle Charlie's big day in a few weeks
Attachments
Jacket
Jacket
Jacket.jpg (129.82 KiB) Viewed 585 times
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Other than a set of mismatched tyres on an antique axle, all of my current "discretionary spending" is going on materials and fittings for my chicken shed renovation. Just in, a washbasin for the bathroom; next up, a mixer tap and a shower, followed closely by a shower screen. The guts of 500€ there, after various discounts and the application of credit notes.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:11 am On the imminent end of cash a vintage or classic car is next purchase.
Snp...beat you to it, just snapped up a valuable rust free VW kombi. It was on the web for about 5 mins when I swooped.
Rust free except for surface rust is unheard of in these wagens.
Attachments
IMG_0119r.jpg
IMG_0119r.jpg (35.13 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Seeing this thread makes me think of what I'm 'not' buying. It's always been my 'mid life crisis' ambition to own one of these Volvo Amazons as my dad owned one when we were nippers. I seen this very well priced one on Donedeal a few days back, (it was even made the same year as me), but I need to spend any spare money that comes my way on a new roof and floor for my shed first.
Screenshot_20230418_104923_DoneDeal.jpg
Screenshot_20230418_104923_DoneDeal.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 564 times
As its the more rare/sort-after two door model, I doubt it'll be available for that price much longer.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

There is a reason its that price. I'm going to assume you are not tech savvy on classics for the purpose of this advice.
I can see from that pic alone that there is extensive work required on that car body, and once you start digging, it always gets worse. Bring a knowledgeable gut with you when you go for a peep. If you are classic savvy, then you know what I am talking about.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

kadman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:40 am There is a reason its that price. I'm going to assume you are not tech savvy on classics for the purpose of this advice.
I can see from that pic alone that there is extensive work required on that car body, and once you start digging, it always gets worse. Bring a knowledgeable gut with you when you go for a peep. If you are classic savvy, then you know what I am talking about.
Yeah, you can see from the pics that it needs some fairly major repairs to the bodywork, he mentions it in the description.

TWIN CARBS, BILSTEIN SUSPENSION, SPORTS EXHAUST, D CAM, POLISHED STEEL BUMPERS AND OVER RIDERS, 4 SPEED GEARBOX, XR3 FRONT SEATS, REV COUNTER, SPARE DOORS AND WING PLUS BOX OF BITS. MECHANICALLY PERFECT, REQUIRES BODYWORK TO A PILLAR AND CHASSIS RAIL

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for ... s/33708516

While my own business is more to do with building restoration, I'm not classic car savvy and have never fully restored an old car before. I'd be okay with minor repairs and spraying, but I've never done any welding, though I know a couple of people who are good at that stuff so if I happen to win the lotto in the meantime, I'll throw you a few bob and collect you on the way down to Cork . . you can be my expert tire kicker. :D
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

What building restoration are you into? I was at it for decades myself.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

kadman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:42 pm What building restoration are you into? I was at it for decades myself.
Pm'd you Kadman.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

The only resto I do now is on my classic cars. Woodwork is way too dusty :D