Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The most soulless pubs in Ireland

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

The most soulless pubs in Ireland

Post by Del.Monte »

Being a connoisseur of 'old men's pubs' I feel well placed to vent on this subject although since Covid my visits have been few and far between.

Today called into Madigan's at Connolly Station for a hurried lunchtime pint - I had forgotten just how depressing it is and all the more unforgiveable given the historic location and ready made theme that they could follow. Not as much as postcard of train or anything else for that matter. Service and beer fine but for ambience - zero, unless you count the smelly toilets. Don't be fooled by the colourful pic here: https://www.madigansconnollystation.com/ the camera does lie. So come on, don't be backward in coming forward, let us all know your list of soulless pubs.

As an aside, earlier on in the day I picked up a copy of this interesting guide to Dublin Pubs (new old stock - €5 reduced from €20) - I have some catching up to do.
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: The most soulless pubs in Ireland

Post by isha »

Sorry Del, I don't know any pubs to complain about as I can't remember the last one I was in. I just don't get pubs. But I am just here to say if I had two pints at lunchtime on whatever day today is, I would be in an absolute heap πŸ˜‚ and would not be able to find the train home.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

Railway bars then to be awful. Designed purely for the transient customer who is there for a quick pint and then gone. They dont have a regular clientele unless it the Galway Hooker at Heuston Station which is an early bar. And where I see the same faces every morning I go by. If you're looking for good 'old man pubs' in Dublin I recommend The Long Hall, Mulligans, The Palace Bar & Bowes
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 7:41 pm Sorry Del, I don't know any pubs to complain about as I can't remember the last one I was in. I just don't get pubs. But I am just here to say if I had two pints at lunchtime on whatever day today is, I would be in an absolute heap πŸ˜‚ and would not be able to find the train home.
I only had the HopHouse my son had the Guinness - you're definitely not a drinker....the idea of the two one after the other... Guinness for wintertime - lager for the warm weather.

I used to be able to name my favourite watering holes around a good chunk of the 26 counties and the Isle of Man. Alas, genuine Irish/old men's pubs are dying off big time to be either closed down altogether or replaced by 'Orish' pubs with bicycles hanging off the ceiling and enamel signs stuck up everywhere. I got my serious drinking out of the way in my late teens/early twenties and now it's quality over quantity. Atmosphere is everything, followed by quality of the drink and friendliness of the staff. I veering off topic but when I get my head together more soulless kips will be listed - everything in Temple Bar is in that category and don't need naming. I imagine the thing in the Guinness Storehouse would be right up there but I have no intention of paying €25 for a pint to find out.

Last edited by Del.Monte on Thu May 18, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 8:13 pm Railway bars then to be awful. Designed purely for the transient customer who is there for a quick pint and then gone. They dont have a regular clientele unless it the Galway Hooker at Heuston Station which is an early bar. And where I see the same faces every morning I go by. If you're looking for good 'old man pubs' in Dublin I recommend The Long Hall, Mulligans, The Palace Bar & Bowes
Ah no, they were some of the best in times past - the Glanmire Buffet in Cork station (now a travel centre/comfy office for staff to hide in) was one such. The Comeragh Bar in Waterford Station - long gone; the tiny little bar out on the pier at Rosslare Harbour. There was even a more recent one that appeared at Bray station a few years back now also gone...and as for railway bars near railway stations but that's for another thread. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 8:13 pm Railway bars then to be awful. Designed purely for the transient customer who is there for a quick pint and then gone. They dont have a regular clientele unless it the Galway Hooker at Heuston Station which is an early bar. And where I see the same faces every morning I go by. If you're looking for good 'old man pubs' in Dublin I recommend The Long Hall, Mulligans, The Palace Bar & Bowes
I like the Long Hall but haven't been in it for years; don't like Mulligans and never tried The Palace or Bowes. Don't forget this thread is for soulless kips not nice pubs! :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

The Sheraton Hotel Bar in Athlone. Absolutely dreadful. Minimalist design and a grey colour scheme. Only bottled beer and house wine. Shag all seats and a very limited menu. Not mention surly staff. You felt like they didn't want you there

Post by 95438756 »

Old Orchard inn Butterfield avenue

Scripted staff
Stuffy elderly clientele
Stretched waiting times
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: ↑Thu May 18, 2023 8:28 pm I only had the HopHouse my son had the Guinness - you're definitely not a drinker....the idea of the two one after the other... Guinness for wintertime - lager for the warm weather.

I used to be able to name my favourite watering holes around a good chunk of the 26 counties and the Isle of Man. Alas, genuine Irish/old men's pubs are dying off big time to be either closed down altogether or replaced by 'Orish' pubs with bicycles hanging off the ceiling and enamel signs stuck up everywhere. I got my serious drinking out of the way in my late teens/early twenties and now it's quality over quantity. Atmosphere is everything, followed by quality of the drink and friendliness of the staff. I veering off topic but when I get my head together more soulless kips will be listed - everything in Temple Bar is in that category and don't need naming. I imagine the thing in the Guinness Storehouse would be right up there but I have no intention of paying €25 for a pint to find out.

I did all me serious drinking too, when it was cheap back in the day...all along the border in the midst of the troubles as they call them.
I spent many a long night and half the morning with the rest of the demolition crew I was working with, singing rebel songs, drinking whisky by the bottles, and finishing off running across the rooftops so as we were not " found ons" as they called them then.
I remember one particular night/morning leaving the pub from the first floor back window, along with the rest of the crew and skipping along roof tops and sheds. Then it suddenly dawned on me through the whisky haze " Jaysus, I've left me tape recorder along with me tapes on the bar. I have to go back fellas, I forgot me tape.....Get it tomorrow they said...na, I'm going back, and off I went.

As I stepped in through the back window....a hand grabbed me by the neck and pulled me in. "Did you forget Rory, son" this big ignorant looking guard said, holding my tape recorder in his hand.....and Rory blasting out " Same old story" :lol: :lol:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Lamb Doyles ....situated at 1,200 ft above sea level and with a panoramic view over Dublin. What should be superb pub is a bland kip with poor food/drink, and too many patrons - especially kids. Thankfully I have only been there very infrequently as my former in-laws lived nearby. Full of mountainy folk and shure isn't it good enough for them - for the rest steer clear. :mrgreen:

Tripadvisor seems to agree with me with 26% of 65 reviews in the Poor-Terrible category. A visit to their website is a good indication of their slipshod 'it will do ' attitude. https://lambdoyles.com/
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Swiss Cottage Santry village

Turks head templebar

Bowry rathmines closed since pandemic

Post by 678904673 »

You can include most pubs in Temple Bar.

Post by 678904673 »

Nancy Hands on Parkgate St, Dublin. It's sole function seems to be to provide gargantuan meals to coach loads of obese American tourists
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 1:44 pm Nancy Hands on Parkgate St, Dublin. It's sole function seems to be to provide gargantuan meals to coach loads of obese American tourists
Never heard of it, thankfully. Off topic but Ryan's of Parkgate St., used to be great back in the late '70s. Some genius ripped the snug out only for it to be replaced some years later.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 3:49 pm Never heard of it, thankfully. Off topic but Ryan's of Parkgate St., used to be great back in the late '70s. Some genius ripped the snug out only for it to be replaced some years later.
Ryans is a fine spot and the snug is still very much there. As chance would have I'm heading there in 10 minutes

Post by 95438756 »

The Morgue / Templeogue Inn.

Bored families and cranky tantrum prone kids on a day like this.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Is Mahers pub in Waterford still on the go? That place was the ultimate old man pub I've experienced. I spent a few hours there one evening in the early ninetys. . no smoking or no ladies allowed, and as soon as a bit of banter got in anyway loud they'd threaten to stop serving you.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 3:57 pm Ryans is a fine spot and the snug is still very much there. As chance would have I'm heading there in 10 minutes
Haven't been in a few years but I remember possibly the best pint of Guinness I've ever had was in Ryans Parkgate St.

Post by 678904673 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 9:21 am Haven't been in a few years but I remember possibly the best pint of Guinness I've ever had was in Ryans Parkgate St.
Still does an excellent pint. Although personally I think there are 2/3 pubs in Dublin which do a better one
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 9:21 am Haven't been in a few years but I remember possibly the best pint of Guinness I've ever had was in Ryans Parkgate St.
In one of my many former incarnations I used to drive buses from the nearby depot and Ryan's was the watering hole of choice for a lot of the crews. Ryan ran a tight ship but the place was always immaculate. Spotlessly clean, glasses polished, furniture and counter gleaming, along with the mirrors. Pumps cleaned regularly and no slops. I expect he's long gone now and I don't know if he had anyone to follow on, but I doubt anybody could have taken the pride in the place that Willie did.

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 2:23 pm In one of my many former incarnations I used to drive buses from the nearby depot and Ryan's was the watering hole of choice for a lot of the crews. Ryan ran a tight ship but the place was always immaculate. Spotlessly clean, glasses polished, furniture and counter gleaming, along with the mirrors. Pumps cleaned regularly and no slops. I expect he's long gone now and I don't know if he had anyone to follow on, but I doubt anybody could have taken the pride in the place that Willie did.
owned by FXB now. But they run a tight ship. I go there once a week and have never had any complaints about the quality of drink or food
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 2:32 pm owned by FXB now. But they run a tight ship. I go there once a week and have never had any complaints about the quality of drink or food
Food? You wouldn't even get a packet of crisps when Ryan had it. It was purely a drinking establishment. Rarely any women either, it was just not the sort of place women wanted to go. There was nothing though, no darts, no cards, it was purely for drink and conversation and it was never empty because it was comfortable. Drunks weren't tolerated, so no fights, no puking, I'm surprised they even allowed smoking, although the ceilings were so high it was rarely smoky. Fond memories.
Johnny Von Pintland

Post by Johnny Von Pintland »

Apelles wrote: ↑Sun May 21, 2023 5:51 pm Is Mahers pub in Waterford still on the go? That place was the ultimate old man pub I've experienced. I spent a few hours there one evening in the early ninetys. . no smoking or no ladies allowed, and as soon as a bit of banter got in anyway loud they'd threaten to stop serving you.
Sounds dreadful tbh.
Bishop_Brennan

Post by Bishop_Brennan »

Happy Days wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 9:43 am Still does an excellent pint. Although personally I think there are 2/3 pubs in Dublin which do a better one
Please do tell!

Post by 678904673 »

Bishop_Brennan wrote: ↑Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 pm Please do tell!
I'd rate Bowes, McDaids & The Gravediggers as better. But its all subjective