Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Any other Geoguessrs?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
schmittel
Verified Username

Any other Geoguessrs?

Post by schmittel »

As if I didn't need further ways of wasting time on the internet, I've recently got into Geoguessing - a game in which you're shown a random spot on google maps and you have to try and work out where in the world it is using the info on the street view.

It's surprisingly addictive. Anyone else here on there?

https://www.geoguessr.com/
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Any other Geoguessrs?

Post by Del.Monte »

schmittel wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:53 am As if I didn't need further ways of wasting time on the internet, I've recently got into Geoguessing - a game in which you're shown a random spot on google maps and you have to try and work out where in the world it is using the info on the street view.

Might give it a try but I find most things that are addictive are bad for me - I even removed Chess Titans from my laptop as it was taking up too much time and used to put me in a bad mood when I kept increasing the difficulty level. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Get thee from me Satan! I almost clicked that link and it's a rabbit hole from which I would never emerge 😱
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Back in the day on another forum there were both and international and national find the place from a pic.

Of course some smart ass once put up a reasonably close up picture of a goalpost of an Italian stadium, San Siro I think.
And then they complained when we all said it was a joke, you might as well put up a pic of a close up of the 18th hole from St Andrews.

Those things are addictive and massive time sink.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

schmittel wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:53 am As if I didn't need further ways of wasting time on the internet, I've recently got into Geoguessing - a game in which you're shown a random spot on google maps and you have to try and work out where in the world it is using the info on the street view.

You are EVIL!!!! I remained unhooked on my painkillers that were strong opiates but that site could easily become an obsession!!

Sure I might just have one more go.....!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

jmayo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:30 pm Back in the day on another forum there were both and international and national find the place from a pic.
Yep. If we're thinking of the same place, I remember wasting many a happy hour chasing geographical clues and googling half-hidden phone-numbers in the hope of pinning down a location.

Never again! :lol:
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

I'd be useless at it but I watched a few videos of people trying it. It's crazy how accurate some of them are and what they look at to make their guesses
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

CelticRambler wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:04 pm Yep. If we're thinking of the same place, I remember wasting many a happy hour chasing geographical clues and googling half-hidden phone-numbers in the hope of pinning down a location.

Never again! :lol:
There was one particular Canadian that I tried, very unsuccessfully, to hoodwink with someplace in Alberta.

This guy used to try do things like work out what time of day it was from the shadows, thus what direction you were looking to then try work out what feature there were in background.
Road signs, taxis and buses are always helpful to narrow down countries.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Just started. Can see the the addicting nature of it.