Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Have you been Influencered? Ever?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Have you been Influencered? Ever?

Post by CelticRambler »

Up until the end of last month, I'd have said "nope, not ever!" The unending stream of product placement on the (relatively limited) number of YouTube channels to which I subscribe skirts uneventfully around the "buy now" and "buy later" regions of my brain. Very occasionally, I'll click on the link in the description just to see if the reality matches the hype (rarely does it) and out of curiosity to know how much the promoted thing sells for (always more than it's worth).

But the inevitable has happened. A couple of recent threads in the woodworking have coincidentally included videos from the "Stumpy Nubs" channel, to which I'm not subscribed, but do go for entertainment quite frequently. On one of those occasions, "Stumpy" lauded the attributes of a Trend Stealth dust mask, and shortly after, the Amazon genie delivered one to my workshop.

I've been influenced :cry: ... but don't regret it, as I've finally found a mask that doesn't fog up my glasses. 8-)
quodec

Re: Have you been Influencered? Ever?

Post by quodec »

Maybe, when I was younger and naive, I would have been swayed over this or that, but the older I get, the less inclined I am to have my heart or my head turned by whatever is being promoted or hyped at me. I'm just suspicious of most adverts these days. If I don't need it, I don't buy it. If someone tries to persuade me towards an idea or a policy, I baulk at their words, maybe not argue back or be a contrarian. But, hey, maybe age does that to you. And I'm glad of that.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I bought a clock radio back in the 1970's when they were still a novelty but it was because there was one in a TV Ad for eating eggs - not radios.
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I was looking up a hotel a few months ago then realised all my ads in various things changed to ads for hotels. Maybe influencing is now working backwards.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

On Instagram, where I follow my children's adventures and humour, I am always getting Bobbi Brown Miracle Balm adverts. They are very pleasant and encouraging and the texture of the balm as the people dip into it for the first time, cracking the seal of lovely gleaming coloured product is very ASMR-style soothing. So I also cracked and bought a couple of tubs of Miracle Balm. It's genuinely lovely and amazing and is a very light - touch dab of makeup that really does brighten the complexion with no need for anything else and I am glad I was influencered.

I bet you're glad you asked now 😊
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 95438756 »

No.

It is done for celebrities here but
1. Audience and target market is too small
2. The agents here are fu€king €rap at their job and just take a prepared script from a goon boss for EMEA or UKI and tow the line.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:12 am On Instagram, where I follow my children's adventures and humour, I am always getting Bobbi Brown Miracle Balm adverts. They are very pleasant and encouraging and the texture of the balm as the people dip into it for the first time, cracking the seal of lovely gleaming coloured product is very ASMR-style soothing. So I also cracked and bought a couple of tubs of Miracle Balm. It's genuinely lovely and amazing and is a very light - touch dab of makeup that really does brighten the complexion with no need for anything else and I am glad I was influencered.
Ah-ha. :!: Now I know where my (7-year-old) niece sees her future. When she was here in the summer, she discovered the joy of peeling apart an aloe-vera leaf to get at the goo to rub on a nettle sting, and went on to extoll the virtues to her two brothers, even encouraging them to get themselves stung so she could split another leaf and scoop out the goo for them. :mrgreen:
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I pay extra for Barilla pasta because they sponsor Roger Federer but tbh it's way better than the own brand crap and so worth it!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane