Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Christmas 2023 Over Indulgence Thread

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Christmas 2023 Over Indulgence Thread

Post by Del.Monte »

Not even Halloween and I'm in Christmas mode from today. Started off with ordering a 3lb plum pudding €28.50 - (€24.99 last year) - well there is the Ukraine situation, Brexit, GDPR etc., etc....Followed up with ordering my Christmas card tonight which involved buying artwork from the USA and then uploading to Vistaprint - it's only a test card from a low res eBay image but I should receive the original artwork in a week to ten days. The same seller has been able to facilitate me for several years now and has some great stuff available. :D

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Re: Christmas 2023 Over Indulgence Thread

Post by isha »

I've booked my flights. I will be away from mid December to early January. Can scarcely wait. Finally, Italia. 😁
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Must be a lot of bah, humbug merchants on here? Christmas threads in the other place used to be fairly lively.

Anyway, having started off well the wheels fell off the cart at the start of December and I've still only sent four cards. Some pressies acquired but a good deal of last minute online shopping in progress with Green & Blacks, Amazon etc. Every year I try to buy Irish but it's not easy - Butler's Chocolates and the Foot Locker this year (I missed my chance for free shopping at the latter earlier this month) and of course all my eats will be sourced locally. I have a craving for Hershey bars which will have to be searched for when I visit Dublin (south of the river) one of the few good things to come out of the the US since my grandmother in 1908. :mrgreen:

Regrettably more purchases from Amazon than ever this year but most Irish retailers just don't stock the things I want and it's not to do with price. Same story for as long as I can remember and they could get away with it pre-internet but they would want to up their game.
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Del.Monte wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:23 pm Regrettably more purchases from Amazon than ever this year but most Irish retailers just don't stock the things I want and it's not to do with price. Same story for as long as I can remember and they could get away with it pre-internet but they would want to up their game.
Definitely agree. Nothing worse than hearing "I don't have that but I can order it in for you...."

No thanks, I'll just order it from Amazon.

After getting a stern talking to from my doctor re diet and exercise, I have started my New Year's resolutions early - smaller portions, no treats and plenty of long walks for the last 10 days or so.
mrmercedes

Post by mrmercedes »

I think I've eaten too many chocolates today on top of the dinner and dessert
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Still haven't had any of my wildly expensive (€28) plum pudding and associated brandy butter (specially ordered from Helen Gee's Jams, Abbeyleix). The reason is that I also purchased a Supervalu (€5!) pudding in case I ran out of pudding to have with my second jar of brandy butter. What a mistake as it was ghastly and fortunately I had some cream to have with it so spared the brandy butter. Having been at two boarding schools I eat almost everything but the Supervalu pudding was so bad that I dumped about a third of it. A case of you sometimes get what you pay for and at €5 I should have known. Lesson learnt but it's kind of put me off tucking into the good one.....maybe at Easter. :)
'no more blah blah blah'