Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

The Reckoning - Jimmy Savile

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
DeletedUser

The Reckoning - Jimmy Savile

Post by DeletedUser »

Just watching Ep 3 of 4 of this.

Deeply disturbing and frightening to see how easily he got away with abuse in plain sight.

Some scenes such as the assault on a wheelchair bound young girl were very troubling to watch.

Steve Coogan is superb and deserves every BAFTA and other award going.

Anyone else watching ?
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Fugue

Re: The Reckoning - Jimmy Savile

Post by Fugue »

Yes, I just wanted to see Steve Coogan's performance, which is spectacular. I knew he'd be good though - he's such a great actor, with an exceptional understanding of character, particularly dark ones.
I find myself looking away or fast forwarding a lot though. It's devastating. Your heart would break for those children.

Outside of the dreadful abuse scenes though, it's mindblowing to watch how expertly he manipulated people (including Maggie), how people suspected he was dodgy but couldn't find anything tangible to pin on him, and how the BBC was twisting and turning in the face of damning rumours.

There's quite a bit of criticism of the fact that the programme was made, and of Coogan taking the role, which I don't get at all. There are countless dramatisations of the stories of some of the worst people ever - why is this getting it in the neck? One of the survivors (the little girl who helped out in the church 😢) was being interviewed on BBC and said she couldn't understand people who haven't seen it criticising it. Bastards like Savile should be spotlighted, and a well done dramatisation is more powerful than a documentary. Also the BBC is being condemned for showing it as it's "hypocrisy". Seems like the BBC isn't trying to hide its complicity actually - it's acknowledging it.