Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

You know you're a true peasant when ...

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Apelles

Re: You know you're a true peasant when ...

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:10 pm I'm a true peasant because I raised my family with no indoor facilities. We had a compost toilet in the garden. Yes, we pooped outside, covered the poop in various forms of organic matter and composted it. It really makes fantastic compost. No condoms were harmed in the making of it.
I'm sure I'd consider making compost to grow spuds the same way . . If I was ever stranded on Mars.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Apelles wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:40 pm I'm sure I'd consider making compost to grow spuds the same way . . If I was ever stranded on Mars.
I've only ever used it for growing trees. Ordinary compost for vegetables.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

isha wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:45 pm I've only ever used it for growing trees. Ordinary compost for vegetables.
Unless heat treated the use of human waste as fertiliser is not a good idea also sorts of nasties lie within from heavy metals to all sorts of viruses....yuck.

I always knew that it was frowned upon but it's worse than I thought: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 18.1558889 :o
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:55 pm Unless heat treated the use of human waste as fertiliser is not a good idea also sorts of nasties lie within from heavy metals to all sorts of viruses....yuck.
That's only a concern when local authorities encourage people to pour everything indiscriminately into their nearest sewer, and well-meaning researchers trying to find something useful to do with it. If your own personal excreta are full of heavy metals and "all sorts of viruses" you probably need to be changing to a more peasantish lifestyle! :D
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

. . I'm regularly checking the free listings on Adverts.ie for more stuff I don't really need.