Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

SuperValu wankers!

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
PogMoThoin22

SuperValu wankers!

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Missus was in SuperValu getting a handful of bits yesterday evening. There's was only 2 checkouts open and the queues were building up when an announcement came not to call a member of staff to open another aisle but telling people to use the self service checkouts.

Wankers! That'll be our last visit.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: SuperValu wankers!

Post by JayZeus »

Seems like a strange thing to be upset about.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:35 pm Seems like a strange thing to be upset about.
Friday evening is always very busy with at least 4 checkout aisles and 2 quick checkouts open. The self service checkouts were only installed this year
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Yeah, but they're there for people to get in and out without having to stand in the queue. Don't want to use them, you have to queue.

I actually hate having to stand in a queue when the self-service checkouts are offline!
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

JayZeus wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:48 pm Yeah, but they're there for people to get in and out without having to stand in the queue. Don't want to use them, you have to queue.

I actually hate having to stand in a queue when the self-service checkouts are offline!
Yeah I understand that, I choose to use it sometimes. But telling people in a queue (most with baskets, some with trolleys) to use self service is not the right way to go. My missus was getting alcohol and Lotto so had to queue no matter how many items. I wonder has the self service checkout already displaced staff, looks like it could have!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

A little off topic but I was in Aldi in Greystones on Thursday. This is a shop I normally avoid like the plague as the service is so bad in it but it was a case of not having time to get to the next one.
I picked up a few things more than I went in for but was still able to carry them in my hands. I got to the checkout, (only one open), and there were at least three people with fully laden trolleys in the queue and several more with lesser amounts. No attempt was made to call staff who were packing shelves, to open another checkout so I just dumped what I had and walked out, other people did the same.
To me, this is a sign that management is not present and staff are running the store to suit themselves, it was after 9pm and I suppose there was a certain amount of shelf packing to be done before closing time, so the idea seemed to be, the customer can wait, we want to get out.
In any case, this was an occasion when a couple of self-service checkouts would have been welcome.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Yeah there's definitely a place for them for convenience, but not when they displace real humans which seems to be the intention of Musgraves
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I had a long, heated argument with a floor manager and a duty manager in Tescoes a few years ago over the RIPOFF calibration of their automatic teller machines. They were not calibrated to give reductions as advertised for multiple purchase of the same item, like 2 for one pricing on meat items.
I bought 2 on an auto checker and was overcharged for one item. I blew a gasket, called for an assistant, who asked do I want the floor manager, I said why not. I tore him a new asshole. And was asked do I want the duty manager. I said bring him on down. Now I had an audience of 15-20. I tore the duty manager a new asshole too. And accused them of ripping off poor pensioners that could not read the receipt to understand they had been overcharged.

And all those queueing at the auto checkouts moved over to the tills, where the duty manager apologised to them for incorrect charging, and asked me to leave the store. I have never been back since

Auto tils, check your receipts on multiple purchases folks.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Missus was asked outside the store, "Is he always like this".

She nodded and said" Well, if you feck with the bull, you get the horns" :lol: :lol: :lol:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:40 pm Yeah there's definitely a place for them for convenience, but not when they displace real humans which seems to be the intention of Musgraves
I don't think they'll displace humans to any great degree, not for a long time anyway, they're just not efficient enough. My local Tesco installed them in addition to the regular checkouts and you really wouldn't use them if you had more than three or four items, certainly not for a full weekly shop.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here's what you need to do: move to a high-crime area!

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... and-stores

Not just one local, posh British store, though:

The same story reported by FoxBusiness adds:
The move away from self-checkout lanes by Booths comes as major U.S. retailers like Walmart and Wegmans reevaluate their use of the kiosks.

Walmart recently removed self-checkout lanes from several stores in Albuquerque, New Mexico, amid losses due to theft and testing with employee-assisted self-checkout kiosks, according to Insider.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Was just getting ready to post that same article. I don't like using the self checkouts for anymore than 3 items and I HATE being forced to use them.

Post by 678904673 »

My local Super Valu has 6 or 7 self service check outs. There is always a member of staff on hand. But I've always got the impression that the staff aren't taking too much interest in what items customers are scanning, or more to the point, not scanning in
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:21 am My local Super Valu has 6 or 7 self service check outs. There is always a member of staff on hand. But I've always got the impression that the staff aren't taking too much interest in what items customers are scanning, or more to the point, not scanning in
Wasn't there a case in the UK of somebody scanning in carrots and putting beef joints on the scales? I can't remember how they overcame it, but it doesn't seem to happen now.