Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Booker Prize: Prophet Song by Paul Lynch

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Booker Prize: Prophet Song by Paul Lynch

Post by Del.Monte »

Okay, I wanted to like it as I like the subject matter - Ireland in a dystopian future. I even put it in my Amazon basket (since removed) but the more reviews that I've heard about the print version the less I am drawn to it. Lack of syntax, line breaks, punctuation etc. make it sound an horrific thing to try and read. So. I thought I'd give the audiobook a try .I listened to the sample available on Kobo - see below image for link - a horrible experience. It's great to see Irish authors winning the prestigious prizes but for this dross?

https://www.kobo.com/ww/en/audiobook/prophet-song-1
'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Re: Booker Prize: Prophet Song by Paul Lynch

Post by quodec »

Reading it on kindle at the moment and have mentioned it in the What Book are you Reading thread, so I Will reserve overall judgement until I complete it. Yes, the wall of text and lack of separate lines of dialogue is off-putting - but I’m getting used to it as I go on and want to see how the story develops. I’ve read several better dystopian books but none set in Ireland, so it’s intriguing in that way.