Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Passing through ... ->>>

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Passing through ... ->>>

Post by CelticRambler »

Howaryiz ...

Have just spent a fortnight wearing out my eardrums in the company of two dozen gabby relatives (none of whom has ever kissed the Blarney stone); and come home to find myself with an unexpected houseguest for a week.

No, not her :cry: ; another her - one of my festival buddies - whose idea of heaven is an Advent calendar where every door hides a Job of the Day, so work will be done this week, and there's no time to be wasting on social media. :mrgreen:
Norman Breaks

Re: Passing through ... ->>>

Post by Norman Breaks »

Never really considered message boards to be 'social media' but I guess they could fit in to that broad category.
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

How are all the cats?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Right: picking up where I left off (sort of) ...
Leg End Reject wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:27 pm How are all the cats?
"Gone, all gone, 'cept me, mwhahhhaahahahahha!" :twisted:

:cry: I came home to find my carefully constructed kittens-only feeder burst apart and all the food eaten, and the factory-made timer-dispenser also completely empty. And, at first inspection, no sign of feline life anywhere on the property. Then, a few hours into the next day, Bingo appeared, agitated and timid as he was when I first spotted him back in October.

Over the course of the following week, he regained some confidence, but even though I gave him permission to come into the house, he preferred to stop at the threshold, and made a run for the garden every time I tried to encourage him to put a foot further into comfortable domesticity. And then, one morning, there he was on the stairs. :shock:

I thought maybe he'd snook in at some point during the day before, and then been unable to get out again, in which case he was probably very hungry and/or had left a pile of turds somewhere upstairs; either way, he needed to be outside urgently, and measures were taken to achieve this! :D

Half an hour later, he was there on the stairs again. :shock:

The crafty fecker had found a passage through the lean-to shed, along the channel previously occupied by the oil feed to the old range, under the new floor in the attic, out through a hole by the chimney and across a space we call "the Room of Requirement" to the landing, and thence to the stairs. And ever since, that's been his preferred entry/exit route. Saved me the cost and hassle of installing a cat-flap! :)

Well, that was the end of his life as a semi-wild barn cat; he's now graduated to a fully-domesticated "don't wake me up if it's still Tuesday" companion:

I say "fully domesticated" but he hasn't forgotten that he's a vicious destroyer of the world's biodiversity, and it looks as if he has single-handedly eradicated every living, breathing, nibbling rodent that used to live in the attic and under-floor space. He uses the Room of Requirement as his torture chamber and, when he's had his fun, his private dining room.

Arriving home from a dance in the early hours of the morning a few weekends ago, I caught sight of Gulliver on the lane, then disappearing over a hedge, but no sign of the littlest kittens, or the two older females. :cry: