Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Unpopular Opinions

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
knownunknown

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Post by knownunknown »

Rhapsody In Blue wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:08 pm What do you mean by modern artists?
I'm with Frank on this one. Image
Rhapsody In Blue

Post by Rhapsody In Blue »

2u2me wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:41 pm I'm with Frank on this one. Image
Meh, just makes me think of people who complain about modern music and dismissing it just because they're nostalgic about the past.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Rhapsody In Blue wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:42 am Meh, just makes me think of people who complain about modern music and dismissing it just because they're nostalgic about the past.
Agreed. If I was putting one on the wall I'd be going with the modern art. It can represent anything you want. The other is just a good painting of kids in a field
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Love and theft wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:10 pm Agreed. If I was putting one on the wall I'd be going with the modern art. It can represent anything you want. The other is just a good painting of kids in a field
Why not just buy a cheap blank canvas from your local art shop and that can be anything you like?
'no more blah blah blah'
Rhapsody In Blue

Post by Rhapsody In Blue »

Also, cubism and abstract art was around by 1910 so it doesn't make sense as a comparison either.

Post by 95438756 »

2u2me wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:41 pm I'm with Frank on this one. Image

1910: Degas, and other impressionists, oh Jack B Years

2000: Jackson Pollack slashes and dashes

Warholean squiggles on poor Marilyn Munroe

Rolf fella.
the dunne
Verified Username

Post by the dunne »

NotThatDevnull wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:42 pm I live in the real world unlike you who cant see the forest for the trees, i would limit Children's allowance and social welfare payment to 3 children, if you want more go get a job, why should the tax payer pay for these broodmares to have huge family's of feral kids?
How many good hard working couples put of having children into their 30's so they can get a house and afford to raise them ?
Think about that before you throw tax payer money at these leeches on society.
Not sure I agree with your tone or your manner of getting your point across, but I do agree childrens allowance should be capped and people sponging off the dole should find it much harder to do so.

Our social welfare is far far too generous to those who have no intention to give back to society.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Norman Breaks wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:05 pm <SNIP>
Extremely poor modding. I merely gave my opinion in a thread literally called Unpopular Opinions. Don't be like boards. This is one reason everyone left there.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:43 pm Extremely poor modding. I merely gave my opinion in a thread literally called Unpopular Opinions. Don't be like boards. This is one reason everyone left there.
MOD NOTE: Your post was snipped because it specifically attacked the poster rather than his post.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Guburnor wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:59 pm MOD NOTE: Your post was snipped because it specifically attacked the poster rather than his post.
This is not even true. I said the poster sounded like an incel. This is not an attack. This is an observation.
Guburnor
Site Admin

Post by Guburnor »

Norman Breaks wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:35 pm This is not even true. I said the poster sounded like an incel. This is not an attack. This is an observation.
If that had been all, it would not have been modded. If you wish to continue the discussion re the snip please start a thread in the modding forum.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Road signs currently have the English text on top, with our own language underneath in Italics.

This should be the other way around.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Séimhe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 pm Road signs currently have the English text on top, with our own language underneath in Italics.

That would be an unpopular opinion - more than enough lip service paid to the language. It's just the sort of nonsense someone like that eejit Éamon Ó Cuív would come up with and end up costing millions to replace all the existing signage.
'no more blah blah blah'
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:39 pm end up costing millions to replace all the existing signage.
Why does it have to cost anything? Just do it as signs need replacing.

But the myth that we spend a lot of money on the language is a mistruth that is unfortunately difficult to put back in the lantern.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Séimhe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:59 pm Why does it have to cost anything? Just do it as signs need replacing.

But the myth that we spend a lot of money on the language is a mistruth that is unfortunately difficult to put back in the lantern.
Valid point but given that these days the vast majority of road signs are of recent manufacture you could be waiting a long time. Personally I miss the quality cast aluminium road signs of old that these days are only to be found in "Oirish" pubs and which had the Irish above the English. I also despise the cheap looking Euro signs as they are in kilometres instead of miles and are the same as in other countries and are bland,bland, bland - I guess I don't like them. More unpopular opinions. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Séimhe wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 pm Road signs currently have the English text on top, with our own language underneath in Italics.

To balance up the disagreement with you, I completely agree with you. Irish is a beautiful language, and we are fools to let it slip through our fingers and die. It is unusually expressive, poetic and even gives the speaker a different philosophical outlook on how the world happens. It was a language taken from us under pain of punishment, in other places indigenous people have pride in their old ways and we could do with more of that sort of spirit. I do not speak it well but I read a small snippet of Irish most days just to keep the feel of it.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

When the current generation of screen kids become adults there is going to be a whole host of people with psychological issues in society.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

Plover1958 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:22 pm Local authorities alone spend over €10million a year producing documentation and reports in Irish. State bodies like ESB spend millions also producing every form, booklet and document in Irish. There's a considerable amount spent producing the Irish format of material, with very little of it ever utilised.
This figure (like many involving our language) is not actually correct. Translation costs for local authorities and all state and public bodies combined is estimated at € 6.1m (De Barra, 2019). So it's a lower figure and we also get more mileage out of it than you state above.

When it comes to our language, "allocated" monies are often reported as "spent".

One example, the reported "Irish translation" cost reported by an Garda Síochána included all other languages they translate too as well. Many public bodies reporting this cost actually have no Irish documentation or web pages to show.

Another figure commonly misreported (Kevin Myers, Robin Bury, Belfast Newsletter, Irish Times, Eoin Butler on YouTube, Irish politicians) is that we spend over €1.2 billion each year total. This figure was first claimed by Ed Walsh of University of Limerick. Buy it includes things that have nothing to do with the language at all; infrastructure and building maintenance, transportation, child welfare payments, wages for people uninvolved in the language such as cleaning staff and secretaries, and so on.

These figures always have been abused and had other things stashed in with them. when scrutinized come out much lower. The commonly cited €1.2bn figure mentioned above is estimated to actually be €338m by the same researcher.

I'm other words, I wouldn't bet the house on those figures you mention.
Séimhe

Post by Séimhe »

If you had oversight of how spending is filed/recorded, that would certainly put you on the pulse there alright. Thing is, one way grants get abused is by accounting for them as fully spent when they were in fact used for other things also. But looking at what I've posted, you can understand why spending figures for our language have low credibility.

Bare in mind that many unfair obstacles have been out in the way if Irish language learners and native speakers. This is the main reason your documents aren't requested as much. These are gradually being removed, the number of daily speakers is on the rise. But if we stop providing basic services to Irish culture, what would motivate our growing numbers of speakers?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Okay I will get this back on track with what is likely to be a hugely unpopular opinion - I think Taylor Swift has an annoying face. Not saying she is not a nice girl and all that but she has a smirky squinty look about her that I cannot see is pretty. Less makeup and more natural facial expressions would do her wonders.

😲
GoldenBrown

Post by GoldenBrown »

That smirky squinty look could be short sightedness.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Whats there to smirk at if you cannot see things far away? Doesn't make me smirk! 😊
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

If you had her money you would be going around with a big smug, smirky head on you 24 hours a day too :lol:
GoldenBrown

Post by GoldenBrown »

Uncle Frank wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm If you had her money you would be going around with a big smug, smirky head on you 24 hours a day too :lol:
Don't think she's that loaded, had to get these yokes on the medical card:
Uncle Frank

Post by Uncle Frank »

Conor McGregor must be on his uppers as well

:lol: