Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Apelles

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by Apelles »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:29 pm Micro-plastic free, biodegradeable tea bags. :x The feckin things biodegrade too fekkin fast and keep bursting.

The latest incident - a few minutes ago - was where I'd used one to make a pot of tea (as opposed to dunking one in a mug). It was a grand brew, and was looking forward to the final gulp ... only that final gulp contained 50% tea-leaves that'd been hiding just below the surface and I didn't see them. Bleurgh. :x
I've noticed the same here with Barry's teabags, if you leave them brewing anything longer than three minutes, they tend to burst, ruining ya cuppa.

We often try changing over brands every few months to keep it fresh, but do find ourselves often returning to the Mcgraths ones from Aldi.

Are many Irish labels avavailable in France or are French tea blends similar?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:06 pm Are many Irish labels avavailable in France ...
Nope, none. My visitors have long since been trained to arrive bearing at least one box of no less than 240 (Lyons) teabags if they want to be sure of a bed for the night/week. :mrgreen:
Apelles wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:06 pm ... or are French tea blends similar?
Nope, not at all. You'd find some Liptons blends on French supermarket shelves, but the French don't do tea, they do what they call une infusion and even that's stretching the definition, as their usual practice is to leave the hot water in a cup for about half an hour and then to wave the teabag in its general direction once or twice. :roll:

Post by 678904673 »

CelticRambler wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:52 pm Nope, none. My visitors have long since been trained to arrive bearing at least one box of no less than 240 (Lyons) teabags if they want to be sure of a bed for the night/week. :mrgreen:

Nope, not at all. You'd find some Liptons blends on French supermarket shelves, but the French don't do tea, they do what they call une infusion and even that's stretching the definition, as their usual practice is to leave the hot water in a cup for about half an hour and then to wave the teabag in its general direction once or twice. :roll:
The last time I was in France was 4/5 years ago with the OH. She would happily drink a gallon of tea a day, so she spent most of the trip sulking because she couldn't get a decent cuppa. Since then France has been off the holiday list
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:56 am The last time I was in France was 4/5 years ago with the OH. She would happily drink a gallon of tea a day, so she spent most of the trip sulking because she couldn't get a decent cuppa. Since then France has been off the holiday list
Time for a bit of rehab: sign herself up to work at "my" festival in July and I'll throw in a gallon of tea for your trouble. :mrgreen:

Also free dance lessons, free music (all day and allllllllll night), free food, free drink, free camping (of a self-contained motorhomey type, not suitable for agaraphobics) and all round great craic.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

I was in Switzerland in October - surprised and delighted to see they had Barry's Tea!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane

Post by 678904673 »

The Phoenix Park being closed for two days this week so Uncle Joe can sip tea with Micky D
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I know this is a 1st world one but people who persist in using GIFs to thank posts on Facebook. Two of the Nature pages I'm on are very bad for this and I have politely suggested to the Mods can they not ask people to stop but to no avail. It might be okay on a dopey social page but it really ruins the wildlife pages. What is wrong with the feckin Like button?? Just one of many things I hate about Facebook. :(
'no more blah blah blah'
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:26 pm I know this is a 1st world one but people who persist in using GIFs to thank posts on Facebook. Two of the Nature pages I'm on are very bad for this and I have politely suggested to the Mods can they not ask people to stop but to no avail. It might be okay on a dopey social page but it really ruins the wildlife pages. What is wrong with the feckin Like button?? Just one of many things I hate about Facebook. :(
Considering you think everyone is a racist perhaps it’s you and not everyone else. As they say is it the man or the machine.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:35 am Considering you think everyone is a racist perhaps it’s you and not everyone else. As they say is it the man or the machine.
Not sure what your point is but while I am against uncontrolled immigration - I did start the thread about it - I'm not a racist and certainly do not think everyone is. You're the one that likes to drag the topic into every thread and I can't for the life of me see its relevance to my dislike of GIFs on Facebook.
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:26 pm I know this is a 1st world one but people who persist in using GIFs to thank posts on Facebook. Two of the Nature pages I'm on are very bad for this and I have politely suggested to the Mods can they not ask people to stop but to no avail. It might be okay on a dopey social page but it really ruins the wildlife pages. What is wrong with the feckin Like button?? Just one of many things I hate about Facebook. :(
I'll join you in the 1st world to have a moan about YouTube obviously making a deliberate decision to actively promote the scutter they call "shorts" (as if the rest of their less-than-4-minutes content wasn't short enough. :roll: 99% of it isn't even relevant to whatever search term I've used. :evil:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Ah heeyor.
I have a thing for a good GIF. Nice little moving photograph. Note - good.

I still mourn the passing of Vines. Thought they were awesome. Why did they have to die?

And while I love a longer form, GOOD video, most of the long ones are people in love with the sound/look of themselves. Sorry pal, I'm not listening to you drag the bollox out of something that could have been interesting.

Short form videos can be perfect haiku's in an ocean of overlong doggerel.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Although I draw the line at those epileptically fast-cut Instagram reels. Artless tinkers. Stop it.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:38 amAnd while I love a longer form, GOOD video, most of the long ones are people in love with the sound/look of themselves. Sorry pal, I'm not listening to you drag the bollox out of something that could have been interesting.
Well, yeah - there's that too (subject of a previous complaint of mine!). More of the same: YouTube encouraging and rewarding the production of cyberdiarrhoea.

Doing a bit of cyberhousekeeping recently, I noticed that most of the high-quality YouTubers I used to follow have significantly reduced their output, some giving up altogether. Don't blame them, really, even if my life is a little bit poorer for their absence.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have to admit this is an annoyance. Over the past number of days I've happily hosted a big bunch of family, a good time was had, and much beer was drunk. However now I find that my main Formica countertop has been very noticeably scored by someone in my wider clan, who did not use one of the many breadboards available to cut the lovely homemade bread. Not one score, but many. More than 10 indelible marks that will live forever. It must have been a vigorous sandwich making session. I love them, whichever one of them it was, but now I have to see this every day. 🥺
Jack The Stripper

Had you any bread board?
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:10 pm Had you any bread board?
Many. That's the whole point. I have a collection of handmade breadboards liberally supplied around the bread bin area. I'm presuming it was one of the teenagers, who literally just never thought about it. Anyway I'm looking up videos about painting Formica counters 😑
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

That's a bummer, isha. As the overly protective owner of some very good quality non-stick pans that I refuse to entrust to anyone who hasn't proven their ability (and willingness) to avoid using metal implements for that same reason, you have my empathy.
Jack The Stripper

isha wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:12 pm Many. That's the whole point. I have a collection of handmade breadboards liberally supplied around the bread bin area. I'm presuming it was one of the teenagers, who literally just never thought about it. Anyway I'm looking up videos about painting Formica counters 😑
Teenagers these days can’t wipe their own arse. No cop on whatsoever.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I will just have to accept it. I'm sure I did crap stuff as a teenager (though I can't remember). The countertops have lasted nearly 20 years so I suppose it was always going to eventually happen. Because the sink is included in the length of the countertop replacing with new covering would be tricky and test my DIY skills. But maybe..... For now I'm too tired to get overly excited.

Post by 678904673 »

I've already got a pain in my hoop with the coverage of Biden's visit. And we've still 2 days left😢
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I had a pain in me hoop from it over a week ago. It's just a whole nation simping at this stage.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I see Hunter Biden is along for the jolly as well - I wonder did he bring his laptop?
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

It's a literal wonder that reprobate can show his face in public after what has been seen of him on that laptop. Sleaze is far too small a word. He is a decrepit, drug addled, amoral abuser of women. He disgusts me. One of the thread bans I got elsewhere was for referencing the laptop which was claimed by the great and good to be a fake. It's since been proven to have been completely real.

And by the way Snopes, that fact checker website, agrees that the evidence is strong that Ashley Biden's diary was authentic. In it she wrote of her father Joe Biden taking SHOWERS with her when she was a growing girl that were in her own exact words "probably not appropriate". A father should not be showering with his young daughter. This is the sort of person we are supposed to be fawning all over. Not me.

(Look at all those annoyances and irritations!)
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's a further horrific synopsis of the Biden family - if even 10% of it is true......
https://nypost.com/2022/07/08/portrait- ... the-press/
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 95438756 »

Stuck on a dublin bus 149 in aungier street because of Biden visit.ONE white van just ahead of the bus keeps on beeping as if that will make any difference.
YOU ARE ONE OF THE fecking LITTLE PEOPLE.
STOP BEEPING.