Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by CelticRambler »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:12 pm Heard a parent looking for their ‘Fanny’ the weekend in a shop. Fanny was their daughter.
It's a very common continental name, with no double-entendre overtones whatsoever outside of the British/Irish dialect of English. Regularly given as-is, but also short for Stephanie.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Jack The Stripper wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:12 pm Heard a parent looking for their ‘Fanny’ the weekend in a shop. Fanny was their daughter.
Yep, that was my aunt's name. She was born at the turn of th 19th century.
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

It’s probably a fanny with a I in it Fanni

Post by 678904673 »

Was in a shop a while back and You Can Make Me Whole Again by Atomic Kitten was playing. Its 2 hours later and I've still got the damn tune in my head
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Happy Days wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:20 am Was in a shop a while back and You Can Make Me Whole Again by Atomic Kitten was playing. Its 2 hours later and I've still got the damn tune in my head
My brother in law used to have a rude substitute for "make" and every time I chance to hear that song the alternative version runs in my head for ages 😑
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

isha wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 am My brother in law used to have a rude substitute for "make" and every time I chance to hear that song the alternative version runs in my head for ages 😑
It must be a 'brother in law' thing, mine always substitutes 'make' for 'lick' whenever that song comes on too 🙂
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Apelles wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:06 pm It must be a 'brother in law' thing, mine always substitutes 'make' for 'lick' whenever that song comes on too 🙂
:lol: :lol:
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

I don't get why some folk who are on WhatsApp take the time to go into their settings and hide their online presence. This presumably allows them to 'pretend' like they haven't seen your message, perhaps so they don't have to answer you straight away, but they could easily view your message anyway by dragging it down on the home srceen on their notifications without changing any settings on WhatsApp.
Whatever cloak and daggery is involved, also hides the last time they were online and even though you know they've read it and replied to you, the two ticks are still faded and not blue.

For goodness sake WHY BOTHER!

Can you really trust people who do this, let's call a spade a spade . . . Is this not an insincere practice?

Post by 678904673 »

People on Public Transport having a videocall and not using headphones:(
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Apelles wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 am I don't get why some folk who are on WhatsApp take the time to go into their settings and hide their online presence. This presumably allows them to 'pretend' like they haven't seen your message, perhaps so they don't have to answer you straight away, but they could easily view your message anyway by dragging it down on the home srceen on their notifications without changing any settings on WhatsApp.
Whatever cloak and daggery is involved, also hides the last time they were online and even though you know they've read it and replied to you, the two ticks are still faded and not blue.

Can you really trust people who do this, let's call a spade a spade . . . Is this not an insincere practice?
Some people want to treat you like a “Facebook friend” - ie they control when they talk to you or even whether they do. It’s mean, it’s hurtful and I know what it’s like to be in the receiving end.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:55 pm People on Public Transport having a videocall and not using headphones:(
Was in a pub in Manchester the other week with someone on a Teams call like that - I’m a good person deep down but I wanted to shove the laptop through his throat.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:01 pm Some people want to treat you like a “Facebook friend” - ie they control when they talk to you or even whether they do. It’s mean, it’s hurtful and I know what it’s like to be in the receiving end.
Oh, I don't find it at all hurtful Planespeeking, I couldn't give a monkeys what they get up to, I just don't want to play at their mind games with them.
I'm finding more and more people seem to be copying this 'fad' of hiding their WhatsApp status, which is both sneaky and sadly pathetic on their part, as they seem to think we can't see right through what they're doing.

And as for Fakebook . . . I'll tell you about my short lived experience with that particular platform another time.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've a medical massage in 45 minutes to try and deal with this persistent back trouble and amn't I only after going and eating a bit too much lunch 😭🤢
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

State agency Ads in Irish - latest one heard this morning was for the HPV vaccine. Just what is the point? Every cent spent on Irish language Ads would be far better spent on things that need fixing rather than pointless virtue signalling. Given that Ukrainian is now to be part of the Leaving Cert curriculum surely putting the Ads out in Ukrainian would make more sense as there would definitely be more non-English speaking Ukrainians in Ireland than non-English speaking Irish people?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:13 pm State agency Ads in Irish - latest one heard this morning was for the HPV vaccine. Just what is the point? Every cent spent on Irish language Ads would be far better spent on things that need fixing rather than pointless virtue signalling. Given that Ukrainian is now to be part of the Leaving Cert curriculum surely putting the Ads out in Ukrainian would make more sense as there would definitely be more non-English speaking Ukrainians in Ireland than non-English speaking Irish people?
But Irish is the first language of the State :D
Jack The Stripper

Post by Jack The Stripper »

Being blinded by left hand drive cars who are flooding our roads and haven’t the common decency nor are the guards enforcing them to fit beam benders.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Apelles wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:20 am I don't get why some folk who are on WhatsApp take the time to go into their settings and hide their online presence. This presumably allows them to 'pretend' like they haven't seen your message, perhaps so they don't have to answer you straight away, but they could easily view your message anyway by dragging it down on the home srceen on their notifications without changing any settings on WhatsApp.

I have my 'last seen' and read receipts turned off on WhatsApp. It takes no time at all, do it once and it's done. I have work related reasons for doing so but it never bothered me that others do the same.

Post by 678904673 »

This morning walking along a narrowish footpath I met two women pushing buggy's and walking side by side. No chance one of them pulling in a bit so I could stay on the path. I had to walk on a busy road. It wasnt a big deal for me but I thought if I'd be old or a bit infirm their lack of consideration could have been very problematic.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

^^ I find this all the time but usually it's people standing in the middle of a narrow pavement - of which there are many in this town - and not the manners to stand aside to let others pass. I never say anything as if they are that pig ignorant they aren't going to change.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 678904673 »

It's too wet to cut the grass and my back garden now resembles a jungle.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:59 am It's too wet to cut the grass and my back garden now resembles a jungle.
But you're doing your bit for bio diversity and saving the Whale. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Happy Days wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:59 am It's too wet to cut the grass and my back garden now resembles a jungle.
:!: Build a berm around it, keep hold of the water and you can get one up on the neighbours by having a mangrove swamp rather than a bog-standard jungle. :mrgreen:

Post by 678904673 »

Lateral thinking. I like it:)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

This wet weather is all Lidl's fault. Didn't I say at the time that it was a Bad Idea for them to be selling cacti in great quantity. :x
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Micro-plastic free, biodegradeable tea bags. :x The feckin things biodegrade too fekkin fast and keep bursting.

The latest incident - a few minutes ago - was where I'd used one to make a pot of tea (as opposed to dunking one in a mug). It was a grand brew, and was looking forward to the final gulp ... only that final gulp contained 50% tea-leaves that'd been hiding just below the surface and I didn't see them. Bleurgh. :x