Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
marhay70

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by marhay70 »

It's snowing in Dublin today! I know this because it's all over the radio stations, with contributions from all the usual suspects, like the Met Office, the AA, the various Local Authorities etc. We'd probably have Mickey D on if he wasn't indisposed. Speedy recovery to him, I hope he's not still on a trolley in a draughty corridor. :roll:
Anyway, I digress. All this talk about the dangerous condition of the roads today got me to thinking about another political pensioner, Liz O'Donnell and how her recent "Road Safety" campaign targetting bad driving habits and how it pisses me off big time because none of these campaigners address what, in my opinion, is a major factor in road safety, and that is the state of the road maintenance. I drove trucks all over this country for years but never can I remember the roads being in such a poor state of maintenance. Examples are, non existent road markings, damaged and misaligned road signs, signs hidden in roadside bushes and trees, traffic lights not working, roadside lighting out for years, potholes not repaired, mud and slurry from building sites (an offence, if memory serves me) and other things that don't readily come to mind but which should be part of day to day routines in road maintenance. These things can all have a bearing on road safety and it struck me that no suggestions have ever been put forward on the cause of the recent spate of horrific fatal accidents involving single vehicles. The suspicion of drink, drugs, speed, etc is always left hanging but the result of investigations is rarely disclosed, unless there are court proceedings. I suggest, all the things I have mentioned could equally be a cause.
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

saucepots; the handle/s should be more ergonomically designedde - for to allow the relevant piece of cutlery balance on same - for when in use on ye "Calvin Anns"... pans an' all... three timesse us spoone hit ye decke earlier on wen me was mekkin us stirabout :P
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Had an ECG this morning, the doctor just rang and told me to go straight to hospital which I'm on my way to now . . not looking forward to joining the trolley corridor queues for the night but hey . . at least I'm not in Gaza!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Apelles wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm Had an ECG this morning, the doctor just rang and told me to go straight to hospital which I'm on my way to now . . not looking forward to joining the trolley corridor queues for the night but hey . . at least I'm not in Gaza!
Good luck with that, been there on a couple of occasions.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

After a chest x-ray, two blood tests and three ECGs the hospital have determined that there's nothing wrong with my heart and my doctor was simply overreacting to high iron levels and that there's a family history of heart issues.
What a fukcing relief, it's scary the thoughts that can go through your mind.
Can't fault Mullingar hospital after today either. Collectively, I found the whole service and all the staff were excellent.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Apelles wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:16 pm Had an ECG this morning, the doctor just rang and told me to go straight to hospital which I'm on my way to now . . not looking forward to joining the trolley corridor queues for the night but hey . . at least I'm not in Gaza!
I have had that on more than one occasion, its only then that your blood pressure goes up :lol:

I have become somewhat used to some scares that a doc has given me. I was asked by one doc "Do you want to be around to see your sons graduate from college" if you do then take this tablet. I refused and I am still here 30 years later, and have seen one son SVP of a major american bank, and the other win an emmy. :lol: :lol:

The only fright i ever got from a doc is when he said to me, " your 5 year old has a burst appendix and I think you have left it too late " Thank god he was wrong too.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Things that irritate me...
These cycling groups that appear en masse at the weekends and fly along the roads like they own the fekking place. I dont have a problem with that. But what gets my goat is these 70+ year old farts, take up the whole fecking road by cycling 4,5,and 6 abreast. Infuriating. And I have passed some that cycled on the road and avoided the specially built cyclelane.
I once gave a friendly toot and pointed to the cycle lane when I was passing ciclist, and he shouted " feck off you interfering old fucker"

I think for one week of the year there should be open season on these old curmudgeons. And by the way I am a 68 year old cyclist, with respect for the rules.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Apelles wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:43 pm After a chest x-ray, two blood tests and three ECGs the hospital have determined that there's nothing wrong with my heart and my doctor was simply overreacting to high iron levels and that there's a family history of heart issues.
What a fukcing relief, it's scary the thoughts that can go through your mind.
Can't fault Mullingar hospital after today either. Collectively, I found the whole service and all the staff were excellent.
Good to hear. GPs tend to err on the side of caution, although leaving you all day waiting for the results of an EGG seems a bit unprofessional, you are always going to be concerned and him calling you and telling you to get yourself to hospital asap wouldn't improve that.
Still, all's well that ends well.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

kadman wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:54 pm Things that irritate me...
These cycling groups that appear en masse at the weekends and fly along the roads like they own the fekking place. I dont have a problem with that. But what gets my goat is these 70+ year old farts, take up the whole fecking road by cycling 4,5,and 6 abreast. Infuriating. And I have passed some that cycled on the road and avoided the specially built cyclelane.
I once gave a friendly toot and pointed to the cycle lane when I was passing ciclist, and he shouted " feck off you interfering old fucker"

I think for one week of the year there should be open season on these old curmudgeons. And by the way I am a 68 year old cyclist, with respect for the rules.
I drove buses on Dublin city routes years ago and I take my hat off to the men and women who do it today. Dublin is not a driver's city, what with narrow roads and blind corners, but when you throw inconsiderate cyclists into the mix, it's a nightmare. I'm certainly glad I don't drive heavy vehicles any more, I might be tempted to carry out my own interpretation of road cleaning.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

Bucky's hot take is that one of his great annoyances is when he has an erection bubbling away and is unable to stand up.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Bucky wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:49 pm Bucky's hot take is that one of his great annoyances is when he has an erection bubbling away and is unable to stand up.
Now he expects us to believe he gets erections. :D
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Drove on Merrion Road/Rock Road this morning and it reminded me of how much I hate the Green fools and their moronic allies in Dublin City Council.
The new dual carriage cycle lane between Silchester Avenue and Booterstown Avenue, outwards, just has to be the most ridiculous piece of urban planning ever devised. The bus lane from Merrion gates meets a traffic island head on at Silchester Avenue and buses are forced to cross a live and extremely busy traffic lane, resulting in traffic chaos and delayed bus services. It's hard to believe we're paying some Civil Servant big money to come up with such shite. It's a wide road and accommodating a cycle lane on the opposite side wouldn't have been a demanding project, but I think it's just malice and spite against car traffic that drives these cretins.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

I think its the result of civil servants ideas resulting from considering these things through the fog of a drug induced coma..............it cant be the result of rational thinking. Along with input from that green muppet, what else would we expect.
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

some of them deli shoppes/deli counteres moreso whatte havve 'toasted sangwidjiss' advertiseed, and ya gets it back, and the hang and cheeze is cold; but the breadde is toastedde :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:lol:
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>

Post by 6234567 »

Further to the civil works in the above posts.
In my experience dealing with city councils, the civil servant and their departments have very little real world experience.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 pm Now he expects us to believe he gets erections. :D
Surely he hasn't reached puberty yet? :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

This new thing where the lid on a plastic bottle remains tied to the ring around the neck and won't come right off. Yeah, I know it's supposed to save the whales/ducks/squirrels/whatever (really just a way to get more lids into the recycling bin) but it's a fekkin nuisance having to rip them off the last bit of the way so as to be able to pour from the bottle properly. :x
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I see the young lad Bucky has been called home by his mammy. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

People selling records online revering to them as 'vintage records'. Does my head in.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Not as bad as people who refer to the railway station as the train station...............
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

When you hurt your back doing something mundane so you start regular stretches and being careful to look after your back, and it starts to feel better, and the very next week it goes out again. On the weekend. Very frustrating.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The really, really annoying rolling (?) background music (?) that Newstalk have behind their short news bulletins. Just WHY!!!!! First World problem I know but..
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Never understood why so many local/alternative radio stations feel the need to have that kind of "music" behind their news and traffic reports. Probably the same mentality that says you have to have a random musical soundtrack behind a YouTube how-to video. :roll:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I wish they'd do it on Sunshine106 and drown out their newsreaders. I like the music they play but they have one particularly annoying fcuker reading the news, Walsh I think his name is, he used to call himself by a double barrelled name which pissed me off even more. He's one of these people who aspires to Bryan Dobson's job, thinks every word beginning with T should be pronounced Th and puts emphasis on random syllables for what he thinks is effect. I can't get to the mute button quick enough.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

My pet annoyance is people selling their pride and joy on marketplace, donedeal, adverts ect.........who attack you and call you a timewaster for asking questions about their car , like. "was the timing chain done" " Can you verify the mileage" .. "Is there any service history". Pertinent questions seem to annoy them.

Does my head in.