Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by Del.Monte »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:04 pm Well, I'm a pure Cork boy but I'm with you on not being stereotypical Irish. The Irish language might as well be ancient Greek to me, hate the GAA, no desire for a united Ireland. To make it worse, I hate Tea and alcoholic drinks, Guinness especially!
Wash your mouth out with carbolic after that! Nectar of the Gods but definitely an acquired taste - I acquired my taste for it when I was 13. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:09 pm Wash your mouth out with carbolic after that! Nectar of the Gods but definitely an acquired taste - I acquired my taste for it when I was 13. :mrgreen:
Del, you are too soft on the young wippersnapper.....he should wash his mouth out with Jeyes Fluid.

Not liking Guiness ...how can you say such a thing, being from Cork you must be a beamish man then :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Beamish reminds me of bog water!

And yes I accidentally drank some bog water when I fell into a big hole mountain biking.....
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Animals who block toilets and don't either clear it or leave a warning.

I'm not describing it any more than that.......
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:09 pm Wash your mouth out with carbolic after that! Nectar of the Gods but definitely an acquired taste - I acquired my taste for it when I was 13. :mrgreen:
I once got told I wasnt proper Irish for being born "as a foreigner" (England, to an Irish parent!!)

if I'd admitted I hate Guinness I think I'd be deported!!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:19 pm I once got told I wasnt proper Irish for being born "as a foreigner" (England, to an Irish parent!!)

if I'd admitted I hate Guinness I think I'd be deported!!!
I'd love someone to demonstrate to me what exactly "proper Irish" is and where I might find one.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:35 pm I'd love someone to demonstrate to me what exactly "proper Irish" is and where I might find one.
Not sure - I thought my dad but apparently the Six Counties "don't count" but this said by someone who argued yer one who was shot by the Guards was "as Irish as you and I".
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Fekkin YouTube stopping 40 minutes into a concert video, mid-music, to ask if I want to keep listening. Of course I do - I wouldn't have clicked on the link otherwise. :evil:

And if your stupid algorithmic brain was any good, it would at least wait for a pause in the music before launching the pop-up and see if I noticed. This is why AI will never take over the world. :evil:

Post by 765489 »

One of my dogs ripped a hole in her coat again today. There's a big gaping hole that I now need to apply sudocream twice a day for it to heal ( stops her constantly licking it ). I have no idea how the f she's doing it, this is the third time in about 5 months. She has a tendency to run quick while keeping her head looking towards me. I've inspected all the machinery and stuff I've about the place and have anything sharp covered or not in a track that she bullets through. The only thing I can think of that could possibly rip her coat is the sharp edges of pruned blackcurrant trees. I'm cutting them all out tomorrow and replant new ones in a location that is away from where the dogs run.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Bit of a "first world" problem in the context of an Irish-centred forum, but I find it annoying that I have to wear a t-shirt on days like today coz it's too damn sunny. UV-index today is a head-, neck-, and back-burning 9

It won't last - the neighbours are working four tractors in the fields opposite this afternoon, swapping bales of haylage for trailers of manure. When they're that frenetic, it's a sure sign there's seriously bad weather on the way! My cue to mow the grass.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ya, I'm another that uses the local farmers as a weather forecast (a lot more accurate than Wet Eireann). When they are working late in the field, it'll be wet tomorrow.....
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:10 pm One of my dogs ripped a hole in her coat again today. There's a big gaping hole that I now need to apply sudocream twice a day for it to heal ( stops her constantly licking it ). I have no idea how the f she's doing it, this is the third time in about 5 months. She has a tendency to run quick while keeping her head looking towards me. I've inspected all the machinery and stuff I've about the place and have anything sharp covered or not in a track that she bullets through. The only thing I can think of that could possibly rip her coat is the sharp edges of pruned blackcurrant trees. I'm cutting them all out tomorrow and replant new ones in a location that is away from where the dogs run.
Are you sure she's not doing it herself? We had a little terrier years ago who would regularly present with holes in her coat, it turned out to be a skin mite and she was tearing at her coat to get relief.

Post by 765489 »

marhay70 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:17 pm Are you sure she's not doing it herself? We had a little terrier years ago who would regularly present with holes in her coat, it turned out to be a skin mite and she was tearing at her coat to get relief.
I didn't notice her constantly scratching herself or the area the rip is at. She's a collie and herself and sister do be chasing each other etc and its possible the other dog got a bit rough with the playing. The only other place I can think of I've an old picnic type table so there might be a nail or something protruding as she runs at speed through this. Will have a good check over the weekend but fie now they are not allowed run through the fields together until its healed. I've a pour on type thing I'll put it one once the skin heals in case it is mites.
Frank

Post by Frank »

The amount of bucket rattling fuckers in shop doors these days is unreal. They need to get card machines or piss off (preferably the latter) as nobody has cash any more.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The number of so called "professional" drivers, Bus, taxi, truck etc, who block box junctions, all apparently oblivious to the fact that the probable reason for the hold up is that some other fcuker is doing the same at the next junction.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

File under irritations (minor): tan lines in unexpected places! :?

I got "properly dressed up" today - had to go grocery shopping, first time in three weeks - and opted to wear my summer shoes with ankle socks. Only when I got home did I realise that spending most of the month wearing wellies (or shoes with wellie-socks) during daylight hours means the ends of my legs are almost as white as the socks. :oops:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Fake tan CR. You should have bought some when you were shopping. That'll fix the problems
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:31 am Fake tan CR. You should have bought some when you were shopping. That'll fix the problems
:shock: I don't think the Real Man half of my personality could cope, even if the other half hesitated for a moment in front of the Veet for Men promo display. :? It was only a moment, though: there was a better offer on neoprene adhesive, so that's where my discretionary spending went this week. :)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:evil: The French. They can be a right bunch of incompetent fekkineejits at times. I posted a while ago about a festival at which I manage a team of volunteers. The festival starts on the 14th July, this year, i.e. this month, i.e. next week, with the pre-festival meeting for the volunteers to be held in ten days.

And I still don't have even a partial list of people who've been assigned to my crew, despite asking for it three times over the last month. :evil:

Now I've come in from the garden to find an e-mail from the Guy In Charge saying that "we're working on it" ( :?: ... right, I'd bloody well hope so ) and he adds "... but you never told me how many people you need." Didn't I?

Well WTF is that phrase, in bold, on the second line of the message you've quoted in your reply??? Dated 20th June. :evil: :evil:
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

CelticRambler wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:07 pm :evil: The French. They can be a right bunch of incompetent fekkineejits at times. I posted a while ago about a festival at which I manage a team of volunteers. The festival starts on the 14th July, this year, i.e. this month, i.e. next week, with the pre-festival meeting for the volunteers to be held in ten days.

And I still don't have even a partial list of people who've been assigned to my crew, despite asking for it three times over the last month. :evil:

Now I've come in from the garden to find an e-mail from the Guy In Charge saying that "we're working on it" ( :?: ... right, I'd bloody well hope so ) and he adds "... but you never told me how many people you need." Didn't I?

Well WTF is that phrase, in bold, on the second line of the message you've quoted in your reply??? Dated 20th June. :evil: :evil:
What a day to try to contract volunteers! 14th July
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

knownunknown wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:50 pm What a day to try to contract volunteers! 14th July
It's not a problem - we'd usually have about 150 willingly sign up (free food, drink and festival entry makes for a very attractive long weekend).

The problem is that I usually contact the individuals making up my team to find out exactly what acts, workshops and other events they want to attend and I build my rotas around that, and I aim to have that done by mid June at the latest. But I can't do a fecking thing this year because the guy handling the volunteer registrations hasn't given me any details. Nothing. Not a thing. :evil:

In any case, I managed to forget about all of that this afternoon and evening, thanks to a punctured mower tyre that caused me no end of stress and aggro, and it's still not fixed. :evil:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Listening to Eamonn Ryan on Radio 1 now.

I'm holding off throwing the shoe at the radio!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Agh for feck sake, the fool is on about Hydrogen powering our lives. The radio is now off and given the force used, may not be able to be powered on!
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sounds like you need to ask Berties_Horse if you can join him on that anti-stress Austrian hike! :mrgreen:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Oh the stress of flying......