Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
kadman
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by kadman »

I have never used this method, but I might try one old battery just to see. I have an old large cherry picker battery, and a long lead and a big garden
Leg End Reject
Verified Username

Post by Leg End Reject »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:08 pm Not that anyone (gotta wait another three weeks ...) ;)

... but these events do attract a lot of other interesting people. 8-)

Only it doesn't look like I'll be meeting any of them; can't get enough volts into the battery to get it to turn over, don't have a spare charged battery to boost it with since some thieving fecker stole that while I was away in the summer, and the camper is with the mechanic so no on-site jump-start option either.

Plan D was to cadge a lift from someone who regularly goes to this venue, but she went early for a workshop this afternoon. :(
Keep us posted, this could be the first Gubu romance story.

Could a neighbour help with a jump start?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:44 pm
I have never used this method, but I might try one old battery just to see. I have an old large cherry picker battery, and a long lead and a big garden
Giz a heads up when you try - we'll keep an eye out for the mushroom cloud! :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Leg End Reject wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:59 pm Could a neighbour help with a jump start?
Neighbours? What are they? :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Right. A few hours charging the spare battery indoors was enough to give it a start-up boost. There's definitely some weirdness going on though - the display panel was doing a psychedlic flickering thing that I've never seen before. It'll be that fekkin mouse chewing through a wiring loom, I reckon. :evil:

Still. I need to dance (and also, I'd promised to help with the after-event clear-up at 2am) so I'll take my chances. And the spare battery, and jump leads. And a portable worklight.

And maybe a bike. :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

And a warm coat, hat, blanket and pillow in case you have to spend the night in the car! 🥺

Since this place is for complaining I was so physically wiped after work today that when I tried to take the hair tie out of my hair ( had been holding back the top part of my hair, not the whole lot) it got more and more ensnared and I was too exhausted to wrestle properly with it. Every time I tried it got worse, and the muscles in my arms were not working anymore, so in the end I had to cut it out. A four inch chunk of hair is now missing at the back and I'm too tired to look or give a damn.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:55 pm And a warm coat, hat, blanket and pillow in case you have to spend the night in the car! 🥺

Since this place is for complaining I was so physically wiped after work today that when I tried to take the hair tie out of my hair ( had been holding back the top part of my hair, not the whole lot) it got more and more ensnared and I was too exhausted to wrestle properly with it. Every time I tried it got worse, and the muscles in my arms were not working anymore, so in the end I had to cut it out. A four inch chunk of hair is now missing at the back and I'm too tired to look or give a damn.
With that type of enforced haircut I am picturing something akin to a sioux indian on the war path :lol:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:55 pmwhen I tried to take the hair tie out of my hair ( had been holding back the top part of my hair, not the whole lot) it got more and more ensnared and I was too exhausted to wrestle properly with it. Every time I tried it got worse, and the muscles in my arms were not working anymore, so in the end I had to cut it out.
:? This might be a naïve question, but do you not have a man in your life who'd let you rest your rubbery arms and disentangle the parasitic hair-tie for you?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

For those who might be interested: after the dance, the car re-started this morning without complaint and took me home to bed at 5am.

A great night was had by all, including another young wan I met in the Jura, relatively new to the "bal trad" scene, who turned up with family and friends.

Post by 678904673 »

I logged in to post a comment but for the life of me I can remember what it was:(

Post by 678904673 »

Its late October almost November and a Bluebottle just flew in to my kitchen
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The chain tensioner idle pulley fell put of the bottom of my planer thicknesser this evening, while I was adjusting the thickness height. Cue a lopsided table and a foul mouthed flurry of feckery, followed by an hour of trying to figure out how to synchronise the 4 acme threaded posts.

I know. Most of you will not have any idea what I’m talking about. It’s basically the woodworking equivalent of the #4 clip on comb falling off your hair trimmer while you tidy up the back and sides, leaving what looks like a drug-runners landing strip up the back of your head. Sort of like that. That’s also very annoying. Or when the head on the beard trimmer skips short and you end up having to trim the whole beard, revealing a jawline you had forgotten the shape of.

Feckin machinery.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Happy Days wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:37 pm Its late October almost November and a Bluebottle just flew in to my kitchen
The last few days in my workshop, a couple of large, slow moving flys kept landing on my head and constantly buzzing into my face. It was strange, and as if they were trying to get my attention or communicate something to me.
Then when one of them fell into the open pot of shellac I was using . . I wasn't a bit sorry.
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

Young people with mullets! Who would have believed that the worst hairstyle in recent decades could ever make a comeback or be so popular again.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:10 pm The chain tensioner idle pulley fell put of the bottom of my planer thicknesser this evening, while I was adjusting the thickness height. Cue a lopsided table and a foul mouthed flurry of feckery, followed by an hour of trying to figure out how to synchronise the 4 acme threaded posts.

I know. Most of you will not have any idea what I’m talking about. It’s basically the woodworking equivalent of the #4 clip on comb falling off your hair trimmer while you tidy up the back and sides, leaving what looks like a drug-runners landing strip up the back of your head. Sort of like that. That’s also very annoying. Or when the head on the beard trimmer skips short and you end up having to trim the whole beard, revealing a jawline you had forgotten the shape of.

Feckin machinery.
I know of the demon thou speakest of. It lurks in every woodworking shop.

My own little demon caused an instant demise of my 3oo year old long table surface planer many years ago.Switchgear and motor failing in the same moment . At the time I had to set it aside and finish the job and leave the repair until later. Needless to say many jobs and years later its still not repaired. And its in the way now and i do more metal restoration on VW classic vehicles.................so its finally getting cleared out and going to the scrappie or sold for scrappie value.

Main problem now is I have a useless shoulder for pulling and pucking about, and this behemoth weighs in at over a ton. As if thats not bad enough..................there is a 4 ton scissor lift sat in its way.
Last edited by kadman on Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

JayZeus wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:10 pmI know. Most of you will not have any idea what I’m talking about.
:? I was keeping up with you fine till you veered off into the hairdressing analogies. :mrgreen:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Apelles wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:09 am The last few days in my workshop, a couple of large, slow moving flys kept landing on my head and constantly buzzing into my face. It was strange, and as if they were trying to get my attention or communicate something to me.
More than a couple over here, but equally daring/dopey. Even had one blatantly drop himself into a bowl of apple crumble and custard while I was eating it.

I blame the lizards - they've all gone to bed for the winter leaving the house unprotected.

:? Wonder if I can train the kittens to catch (and eat) flies?
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I hate Hallowe'en, in fact the entire period from now until late March is a lost cause as far as I'm concerned but FFS call it what it is.
It's Hallowe'en. people, the eve of All Hallows, not Hollowe'en, whatever the fcuk that might be.
Just one more in a long list of examples of the media and our transatlantic cousins bastardising the English language.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Finally got the offending item removed from my shed.
Large footprint and heavy for a planer 8'x2'6" .
Attachments
IMG_0796.JPG
IMG_0796.JPG (86.54 KiB) Viewed 20364 times
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Now I’m annoyed I can’t offer a home for that big lump of iron. I’m playing with Duplo bricks while you have Lego Technics!
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:18 pm Now I’m annoyed I can’t offer a home for that big lump of iron. I’m playing with Duplo bricks while you have Lego Technics!
It pains me to scrap it , but its not used for 20 years and my modelmaking son has a requirement for room for a larger vac forming machine. So something has to give. I have put it on donedeal for scrap value, so its worth that. Needs a motor and switchgear which is probably less than 100 euro. Its olds chool so extremely well built and simple to maintain.

Of course a gubu member would get it for free ;)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here's one that's come at me from the side: the phrase "bump down" meaning to reduce. Wut??? A bump, by definition, is something that's raised above the level of its surroundings, and to bump something means to nudge it with minimal force - forwards, backwards or sideways, which may result in the thing falling but that's a secondary action.

But surely it can't be "a thing" that one can now "bump down the reported sales figures for this month" ? :shock:

Post by 678904673 »

Now that Halloween is done and dusted we face a relentless barrage of Christmas Ads

Post by 678904673 »

I was visiting my Brother yesterday and one of the houses on his road had their Christmas decorations up. It's only early November 😒
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

:oops: I've had (some of) my Christmas decorations up since May.

I did try to take them all down before my mother came, but I forgot the garlands on the ceiling. And the angel in the crib. :mrgreen: