Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by CelticRambler »

Must be the phase of the moon or something. This evening, I had some fecker in an old banger come hurtling up to the STOP sign on a side road, ignore it completely, pull out in front of me, swing wide as he turned and then crawl forward at about 20kmh until (presumably) he finally remembered which pedal did what.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

marhay70 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:12 pm Every time I hear of an accident where a cyclist or a scooter rider are injured, I wonder just how much of a contribution did they make to their own misfortune. For people who are, without doubt, among the most vulnerable on our roads, most have a cavalier approach to safety, including their own.
Pedestrians on phones are the worst. If I see one coming towards me I shout "WATCH OUT" at the top of my voice. That usually frightens them.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

So I made a nice lunch, himself is at home for lunch today, homemade broccoli and cheese soup, and some fried up Clonakilty vegetarian white pudding on the side. He gets out the tomato ketchup and starts shaking the glass bottle right beside me to get some out, and I'm like "Hey, do that somewhere else".

But no!! ... now he's bashing his fist off the bottom of the bottle, and I'm " Oy, feck off! You're going to get that stuff everywhere!" "No, I'm not!" he says. More battering of the poor bottle. By now I have covered my soup bowl and plate with my hands because I see where this is going and then Sploooosh, out comes a whole load of that fecken disgusting tomato ketchup not only onto his plate but onto the table all round my plate, and onto the back of my hand covering my soup 🤬🤬 (Have I said how repellent I find tomato ketchup to be?) And there's him laughing 😡😤⚔️
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

:D 99.9999% :D - a number i've oft heard quoted (along with [numbers similarly quoted by same source] 99.9% & 99.999% ) by a prominent "spokesperson" of a certain demographic group

99.9999% from the "sum total" leaves a "deficit" of 0.0001% , which equals 1 in 1 million

I was walking down footpath today (not very wide, but wide enough at about 3.5ft) and saw three of them come towards me. They were spread out on it, so I put me head down and kept to right hand side

Was just me luck to bump (not literally, I hasten to add :) ) into one of the "one million" , who, presumably are one of the very wrong'uns what gives the other 999,999 out of a million, a "bad name" . Now, on that topic, by my rudimentary calculations/hazarding a guess etc, there's only something in the region of 70 to a 100 thousand of said "demographic group" on this here isle; so mathematically/statistically speaking, the chances of me running into one of them would've had to be (going by the 'oft quoted' numbers, which have the most amount of "9s") 1 in 10 million

or maybe, just maybe getting up into someone's face and making demands is okay behaviour, and thereby that chap did nothing whatsoever to put him in the 0.0001% category :roll:

Suddenly, one of these folk was right up in me face; had me headphones in/on, so couldn't really hear what the chap in question was saying. I think it were something about 'need money' / 'losing house' , or somesuch. Can only presume monies were wanted.

"Sorry, can't hear ya" I says, and keeps on going on my not so merry way; and, from that I divined that perhaps said chap wanted to follow me, with, perhaps, some kind of "satisfaction" (fists / kicks / smashing me head on the ground and the likes, I should venture were/would have been his intended means of restoring his honour I daresay :lol: ) on his mind

Thought I heard (as I was walking away) the young wan say something like "leave it off/let it go"

Ah yeah, shure they're great!! :D
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

The referee at today's World Cup game game between Brazil and Switzerland is the third youngest referee at the tournament. This is such a vital piece of information that the commentator felt we needed to know, so I thought I'd better pass it on in case anybody missed it. :roll:
Enoch Von Clausewitz

^^^^
yep @Enoch (2 posts up), I have to concur. Altho, it would probably have made more sense if you inserted that single line second last paragraph into the earlier part of your 3rd last para, to wit:

"Sorry, can't hear ya" I says, and keeps on going on my not so merry way. Thought I heard (as I was walking away) the young wan say something like "leave it off/let it go" and, from that I divined that perhaps said chap wanted to follow me, with, perhaps, some kind of "satisfaction" (fists / kicks / smashing me head on the ground and the likes, I should venture were/would have been his intended means of restoring his honour I daresay :lol: ) on his mind

think that would've made more sense, and I "daresay" :D :D that that was your intention there EVC :)

not a criiticism at all, as I'd say you were rightly riled when posting, and, dare I say it, it was perhaps all you could do to refrain from saying "what you really wanted to" on here, which is fair enough. At least you know (unlike the 0.0001% guy) how to be 'decorous' :D

My own A&I is: I was in Dealz recently, and did, for €1.50 (or was it €2.50?) purchase a "bullet" of sorts, with purported "vibrational qualities" . This here bullet would've been (approx) 20-30% longer in both length and girth than a 0.22 rifle shell casing.

The innards were fairly spartan (upon having brought it home and taking a look inside) so, even with a very very limited and basic knowledge of electronica, I wondered how it might "work" / "operate" etc; and, when I opened it up, and took out the paper/s which enclosed the aaa battery - which were presumably (the paper/s) there to block the "contacts" , thereby stopping (one would opine) said miniature device from "going off" in its box. I re-inserted battery, and, well, nothing happened :P . Okay, maybe the battery were "clem" (as the abovementioned "demographic" might say :lol: ) so I tried a better quality aaa battery which I already had at home.

Still no luck

For all the use that "bullet" did, I might as well have stuck it up me árse :D

Also bought that day, for €5 I think, a "3-pack" of y-fronts; and when I got home it appeared to contain only "two" of them :?

Word/s to the "unwise" : always check what ye're getting in "Dealz" :cry: :oops:

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

🙄
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Tomato ketchup is for chips and nothing else.

Definitely not soup!
KHD

Post by KHD »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:33 pm Tomato ketchup is for chips and nothing else.

Definitely not soup!
And sausage sambos :mrgreen:
Enoch Von Clausewitz

^^
and breakfast rolls :)

isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:33 pm Tomato ketchup is for chips and nothing else.

Definitely not soup!
It was for the vegetarian white pudding. Which he was making into a toasted sandwich.

Tomato sauce for any reason makes me want to throw up, to be honest. I only bought a bottle recently because the kids will be home for Christmas and they like it. Not having to wash tomato sauce off plates every single day is perhaps my favourite thing about the children being grown up and living in their own houses
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Geez, what have I started......
KHD

Post by KHD »

Tomato sauce is awesome, Isha is just being weird H. :D

Post by 678904673 »

Sticking with the sauce theme. I'm just going to throw out brown sauce. I just dont get it
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Brown sauce is almost as vile. The only reason it's not quite as bad is that it hasn't taken over the world like tomato ketchup has done.
🤢
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Thankfully someone else who thinks brown sauce is vile!
KHD

Post by KHD »

If I have chips I get the bottle of ketchup and the bottle of mayonnaise and squirt the two of them equally over my chips.

There's a bottle of brown sauce in the press but it is mostly the oul fella that uses that.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Bottles of sauce? The kind ye buy in a shop?

Degenerates, the lot of ye! :mrgreen:

Neither brown nor tomato sauce in my household, but there are a variety of sauce-like chutneys in the fridge that get made in batches according to what ingredients are available. The one that sort of resembles brown sauce is delicious on all varieties of cooked dead pig; the tomatoey one mostly gets added to beefy dishes (bolognese, stew, etc).

Back in the summer, I was very surprised (like really very surprised) to find out that a "proper" Chinese sweet-and-sour sauce, made by most real Chinese people, uses shop-bought tomato sauce as the main ingredient. WTF? :shock: I couldn't compromise my principles to that extent, so settled for a tin of tomato purée (double concentrated) instead.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I just don't get it. You get people saying "I'd love some chips" and then smother them in sauce or mayonnaise, Why don't they just say they'd like something to bulk out their sauce or mayonnaise? This stuff has such a strong flavour,how can you tell what's undeneath anyway?
KHD

Post by KHD »

Your all food snobs here. Don't knock something until you try it. :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Brace now, because I'm annoyed by this. 😠

I went to a place where there is a Neolithic monument today, as is my hobby, with the intention of getting some drone photos and videos. This place is in the middle of nowhere. It is in forested hills surrounded by barren bogland. It's miles to the nearest habitation. There was not another human in the whole area. Anyway I never fly my drone or film near people or their homes.
Well, there's a new sign there since I was there last that has a list of things you cannot do, including drone photography. Unless you contact the Department of We Own Fukken Everything, You Nasty Plebs, and pay a fee. Even for private photography.

So, I could take photos on the ground, I could take photos with an extendable stick, I could use a step ladder and take photos, I could wear stilts and take photos, I could launch myself from a catapult with a go pro strapped to my forehead and use the footage, but if I want to take a photo or video ten foot above a monument that has existed for 5500 years I have to pay a fee to the government man.

No. Nope!! I'm not going to pay. And I'm going to take terrestrial and drone photos and videos of my heritage. The government cannot own every bucken thing - and if our taxes pay for them to be caretakers of our heritage, they do so on OUR behalf. My tax has already paid for them to do a cursory strim around the place. They can't tax and charge for every damn thing. And if they ever ask for a fee or a fine, I'm going to tell them I have or had a trained sparrowhawk that carries a camera.

I swear, when I was younger I used to think libertarians were selfish arseholes, but now if someone started a Libertarian party in Ireland they would have my vote. I might even run as a candidate!
KHD

Post by KHD »

Check this out Isha, there is a map link giving the sites that are banned by the OPW. And your right, fook them, don’t let it spoil your hobby. Whatever about it being in a built up area but in the middle of nowhere the chances of you encountering the drone police I would say is extremely unlikely.

https://earthobservation.wordpress.com/ ... -in-ruins/
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

They don't want Irish people looking back to achievements of a time when Ireland was actually Irish.
Our own laws, religion, social structures, language qnd traditions - unacceptable to the servants of the new reich.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mirabeau wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:50 pm They don't want Irish people looking back to achievements of a time when Ireland was actually Irish.
Our own laws, religion, social structures, language qnd traditions - unacceptable to the servants of the new reich.
I'm not sure about that Mirabeau, though there does seem to be a new fashion for thinking any national or regional pride or special interest is a bit tasteless and retrograde.

But this has got me thinking about how much of our personal lives and the public sphere is subject to endless regulations. Which only increase as each generation of the administrative classes have to justify their raison d'etre, and occupy the long days in their offices. Who said these bodies could own everything? It reminds me of the government trying to sell our water back to us. Taxes have already paid for them to manage water, roads, health etc - that's why we put up with the stupid parasites! A political movement calling for less state entanglement in our lives is overdue.
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:08 pm I'm not sure about that Mirabeau, though there does seem to be a new fashion for thinking any national or regional pride or special interest is a bit tasteless and retrograde.

But this has got me thinking about how much of our personal lives and the public sphere is subject to endless regulations. Which only increase as each generation of the administrative classes have to justify their raison d'etre, and occupy the long days in their offices. Who said these bodies could own everything? It reminds me of the government trying to sell our water back to us. Taxes have already paid for them to manage water, roads, health etc - that's why we put up with the stupid parasites! A political movement calling for less state entanglement in our lives is overdue.
There's a program on Virgin Media 3 now called Britain's Secret Treasures, where most of the treasures have been found by metal detectorists, which fill in the blanks for Britain's history. Over here unfortunately because we have lazy and incompetent state bodies they take the lazy way and ban the use of these detectors from everyone completely instead of introducing a strict licensing system for anyone that is genuinely interested in the hobby ( which I am ) and making an effort. So many artifacts are just under concrete and tarmacadam that will never be found.