Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
marhay70

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by marhay70 »

gugleguy wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:48 pm Sounds like a main bathroom in my house.
I ended up laying the carpet, well, because there was nobody else to do it. Did an okay job, suppose, for someone who never laid a carpet before.
Is it a good idea to have carpet in a bathroom?

Post by 95438756 »

Not for me but for elderly dad. Commanded by health official
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:07 amthe butter block is too hard to spread straight from the fridge in the morning.
Helpful hint: try not putting it in the fridge! :geek: Unless you have the kitchen heated to sauna temperatures, a lump of real butter should be fine just left in the press for a week or ten days.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:07 am It's annoying that I can't get Kerrygold soft butter anywhere. It seems to be out of stock everywhere. The Kerrygold spreadable butter tastes weird and the butter block is too hard to spread straight from the fridge in the morning.

Yes I'm giving out about by favourite butter not being available
Crisis over. I found some in Dunnes yesterday.

That's a relief......
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

There's a fella at work. He has an alright deal with the company, he gets cushy overtime every week.
However, he is on the moan since last week.
Now he is after drawing a lot of attention upon himself.
I d say his overtime and other privileges are going to be done for.
All because he couldn't keep his whinge inside his head.
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Mirabeau wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:26 am There's a fella at work. He has an alright deal with the company, he gets cushy overtime every week.
However, he is on the moan since last week.
Now he is after drawing a lot of attention upon himself.
I d say his overtime and other privileges are going to be done for.
All because he couldn't keep his whinge inside his head.
If he ends up getting an even cushier position then you know what to do! :lol:
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

knownunknown wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:30 am If he ends up getting an even cushier position then you know what to do! :lol:
Ill put on the poor mouth and go on the dole.
:o
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've been driving round for several months with defunct electrical and electronic goods in my boot, waiting for the auspicious moment when my driving past the distant recycling facility coincides with the astrologically appropriate moment that it is actually open to receive such items.
Six months, maybe more, of carting round waffle makers, tape decks and printers. My one consolation for this lack of organisation on my part is that if I'm caught short during the apocalypse driving at some distance from home, perhaps I can rebuild civilisation from the contents of my boot.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 678904673 »

The toilet seat just broke. That's going to make things interesting tomorrow morning
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Happy Days wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:04 pm The toilet seat just broke.
The wha' ? :?

:mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Mine broke the other day. And I went at it meself to affix a new one. The screw came out easily one side of the old toilet seat but was fixed incredibly tightly on the other. Of course the side that was jammed also has a very small amount of space between the jacks and the wall. I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to manoeuvre myself into useful positions to get traction on the nut and work it loose. Finally my husband managed to do it when he got back home and found me furious with the fecken yoke. I went through all that quietly and I didn't even complain once here, until now.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

Mine was broke for over 12 months, replaced it the other day due to my relations visiting this evening. :(

Don't want them falling off the toilet.

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:21 pm Mine broke the other day. And I went at it meself to affix a new one. The screw came out easily one side of the old toilet seat but was fixed incredibly tightly on the other. Of course the side that was jammed also has a very small amount of space between the jacks and the wall. I nearly gave myself a hernia trying to manoeuvre myself into useful positions to get traction on the nut and work it loose. Finally my husband managed to do it when he got back home and found me furious with the fecken yoke. I went through all that quietly and I didn't even complain once here, until now.
I'm off tomorrow to buy a new one. The thoughts of fitting it is nearly giving me a dose of the scutters :)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

And if you get the dose, you'll need that seat.....
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The phrase "cost of living crisis" being rammed down our throats when anyone with a pair of eyes who goes to Dunnes, Tesco etc can see there's no crisis, especially with the full coffee shops and cafés in the shopping centres......
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

The complete ballbag that tried to overtake me this morning before a traffic light. It turned red and he stayed in the other lane against traffic.
The hi-vis wearing gimp.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Fekkin French ordnance survey map publishers - printed "back and front" :evil: In other words, the big rectangle showing the area of coverage is cut into two different maps. And of course the area I'm most interested in - for my walk tomorrow - is smack bang on the cut edge, so half of the trail is on the front, and the other half is on the back, which defeats the purpose of buying a map with the relevant zone in the middle of the fekkin area of coverage. :evil:
KHD

Post by KHD »

That's what happens when you don't examine something before you buy it.

*runs*
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Yep. There is indeed a tiny red banner at the very top that says "back-and-front, plasticised, resistant"

I should have been more vigilant - SonNo.1 ordered an OS map for a hike in Corsica earlier in the year (not the same series, though) and it included a load of pointless photos splatted over various parts of the cartography. Who the feck needs to see a photo of some fella's arse going up a rock when they're trying to figure out which of the three unmarked paths is the one they should be following?

This one I've got is also splattered with "tourist information". Feck off. :evil: What happenend to the pure tradition of maps that restrained themselves to showing contour lines and identifiable physical features?

The only reason I bought it this evening is because I found out the walk I really wanted to do is strictly forbidden during the period Nov. 1 to May 31st. The local authorities got fed up with having to scrape up the bits of too many flip-flop wearing t-shirted tourists from the rocks below. :(
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Do what I do, buy a second one and tape the two of them together......
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The stupidly small fuel tank in the new car. It takes 35L to fill it from quarter full. It means a lot more regular stops and that's annoying on long journeys.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

Slow petrol pumps.
I normally fill the tank which costs around €75 / €80. Took nearly 10 minutes to get to €30's worth - just bailed out at that point.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:07 am Do what I do, buy a second one and tape the two of them together......
This one is going back to the shop for a refund if they can't supply me with a one-sided version. :evil: I took a photo of the relevant corner and used that today.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

That's like a local petrol station here. It's owner operated rather than being owned by a chain. He got "annoyed at people breaking the pumps" so his solution was two fold.

First, he turned down the flow in the pumps and second was that if the pump clicked when filling, you had to go in to get it turned back on. He was convinced that the clicking off of the pump was breaking them. That was most annoying if you had a car that had a habit of cutting the pump after a few litres (like mine)

Result, people stopped going there....
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

CelticRambler wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:02 pm This one is going back to the shop for a refund if they can't supply me with a one-sided version. :evil: I took a photo of the relevant corner and used that today.
Cheating, using a smartphone for maps......

Edit, I can't say much, I'd probably do the same!