Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by CelticRambler »

Well, the whole point of (supposedly) using a paper map was not to have to use the smartphone! :roll:

I reckon it's smartphone users who've messed things up for those of us who like to use our own brains and eyes. This abomination even proudly proclaims on the cover "compatible with GPS".

WTF??? It's a feckin map! Of course it's "compatible" with GPS - or rather, GPS should be compatible with it.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

I spend most of every day in one particular room in my house. The mobile signal is poor in that room because its shelved from floor to ceiling so I generally only have one bar signal strength. I also like keeping my phone in my jeans pocket so the Pacer app can track my steps as I move around the house or take a walk outside. It's a bad combination as the phone will frequently not ring if I am in the room and its in my pocket. I end up getting texts from frustrated family members "Sort out your phone. Can't get through" etc.

I can leave the phone in the hall where the signal strength is two or three bars but then I have to rush out to answer it and because its not on me, I am not getting steps credit. Carrying it in my hand as I move around is also a nuisance.

Murphy's Law dictates that I can leave it in the hall for hours on end and nobody will try to ring me. But as soon as I decide to put it my pocket, someone will make a call and it will go straight to voicemail and once again, I get berated.

Is there such a thing as a booster for poor mobile coverage?
KHD

Post by KHD »

nlgbbbblth wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:47 am I spend most of every day in one particular room in my house. The mobile signal is poor in that room because its shelved from floor to ceiling so I generally only have one bar signal strength. I also like keeping my phone in my jeans pocket so the Pacer app can track my steps as I move around the house or take a walk outside. It's a bad combination as the phone will frequently not ring if I am in the room and its in my pocket. I end up getting texts from frustrated family members "Sort out your phone. Can't get through" etc.

I can leave the phone in the hall where the signal strength is two or three bars but then I have to rush out to answer it and because its not on me, I am not getting steps credit. Carrying it in my hand as I move around is also a nuisance.

Murphy's Law dictates that I can leave it in the hall for hours on end and nobody will try to ring me. But as soon as I decide to put it my pocket, someone will make a call and it will go straight to voicemail and once again, I get berated.

Is there such a thing as a booster for poor mobile coverage?
Some info here from comreg including list of approved suppliers.

https://www.comreg.ie/advice-informatio ... repeaters/
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

KHD wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:15 pm Some info here from comreg including list of approved suppliers.

Thanks. I've something similar in poor reception in the house and I didn't know these existed at a consumer level.
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

KHD wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:15 pm Some info here from comreg including list of approved suppliers.

Thanks - much appreciated
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Why do I get so...........I don't even know. It's like a physical assault first of all right in to my belly and then it's memories and then it's feelings. Please go away.
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

And now it's Monday :(
KHD

Post by KHD »

I purchased a freestanding electric cooker which included a grill in October of last year. The oulfella reports that the grill element is not heating up fully and stays lukewarm when he tries to put on some toast. The 1 year warranty has expired 4 weeks ago. I may get him a toaster as he goes through some amount of toast each week.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

KHD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:59 am I purchased a freestanding electric cooker which included a grill in October of last year. The oulfella reports that the grill element is not heating up fully and stays lukewarm when he tries to put on some toast. The 1 year warranty has expired 4 weeks ago. I may get him a toaster as he goes through some amount of toast each week.
I thought there was a minimum 2 year warranty on electrical items in the EU, was it new? Anyway, a toaster would be a far more economical investment, unless your dad is an old schooler like me who was brought up on toast toasted on one side only.
KHD

Post by KHD »

marhay70 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:17 pm I thought there was a minimum 2 year warranty on electrical items in the EU, was it new? Anyway, a toaster would be a far more economical investment, unless your dad is an old schooler like me who was brought up on toast toasted on one side only.
Yeap bought new Marhay, but it said it was a one year warranty when i bought it. I'll check what you said out. I might get him a toaster anyway as it would be more handier for him than fluting around with a toaster tray that they didn't supply a handle that you can slide it in and out with.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

KHD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:36 pm Yeap bought new Marhay, but it said it was a one year warranty when i bought it. I'll check what you said out. I might get him a toaster anyway as it would be more handier for him than fluting around with a toaster tray that they didn't supply a handle that you can slide it in and out with.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/search-res ... egories=M7

Pretty clear here.
KHD

Post by KHD »

So the feckers are giving a 1 year "Warranty" when there is a 2 year "guarantee" in place already. Feckin cowboys, I'd never had known that. Will be ringing them later so.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

It's one year with the store but longer with the manufacturer. Your contract is with the store, only when you're outside their warranty should you contact the manufacturer
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

KHD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:36 pm Yeap bought new Marhay, but it said it was a one year warranty when i bought it. I'll check what you said out. I might get him a toaster anyway as it would be more handier for him than fluting around with a toaster tray that they didn't supply a handle that you can slide it in and out with.
Is your dad elderly K?
KHD

Post by KHD »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:13 pm Is your dad elderly K?
Mid 70s Diamonds. I don't want to say elderly incase it offends the oul codgers on here :mrgreen:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I've tried to hold back on whining about this but sorry, it has to come out. I woke this morning feeling great after a brilliant sleep which was helped by my own home grown herbal tea mix which I combined last night, mint, nettle, lemon balm and my bought in special soporific - oat straw. Anyway not a bother, loads of sleep, lazed about for a few minutes planning what I would have for breakfast. But between lying down happily and the simple act of sitting up I seem to have pinched a nerve in my mid back so that I am fecken ruined along the whole left side of me from my neck to my hip, including being left with a practically useless left arm now. For fuxxake! 😑 This is the old story of sneezing your back out as you get ..em...more wise. But just sitting up? It's ridiculous. I'm sure it will improve eventually, but not today.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

Sounds like you have a bout of shoveller's neck. Its a delayed injury that happens when people lean on the handle of a shovel that's too big for them. Used to be very common with council workers. Napping too much apparently can set it off. 😜
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

KHD wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:19 pm Sounds like you have a bout of shoveller's neck. Its a delayed injury that happens when people lean on the handle of a shovel that's too big for them. Used to be very common with council workers. Napping too much apparently can set it off. 😜
Yeah...trigger was a life long sufferer. :lol:
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have not been using a shovel recently. Maybe I slept too much!
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
KHD

Post by KHD »

kadman wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:22 pm Yeah...trigger was a life long sufferer. :lol:
Given Isha's great interest in archeology, I wonder does she secretly go through every shovel of clay looking for treasure. :mrgreen:
KHD

Post by KHD »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:26 pm I have not been using a shovel recently. Maybe I slept too much!
Probably the way ya slept. Whatever that potion was you made up sounds like it is better than any sleeping pill.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

On the subject of electric items breaking, the old Delonghi kettle crapped itself. It won't cut off when boiling and automatically starts when putting it on the stand. I don't trust myself with a self boiling kettle.

I went to get the same kettle as the old one is a good few years old (well over 10 years old). Holy feck the price of the new one is daft!

Now on the hunt for a red kettle (has to match the red toaster.....)
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

To bring a bit of positive energy back into the universe (or at least this thread, if it's allowed) I am happy to report that I was able to get hold of a proper one-sided paper map this evening, and 3€ cheaper than the cut-in-two version I returned. :D
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Brilliant CR. Now you need "reasonable" weather....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ah, the weather's grand. The camper's fitted out with "Three Peaks" M+S tyres and I've got anti-skid studs for my boots, so as long as I'm not buried in a drift, I don't mind a decent helping of snow. 8-)

And, sure, if one didn't suffer the intense discomfort of trudging into an icy gale, one could never fully appreciate the luxury of having a dry, sheltered rock to sit on while eating a hang sammidge at 2000m! :lol: