Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Hairy-Joe

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by Hairy-Joe »

The neighbors have a sheet of polythene flapping in the wind. The noise of it is driving me daft for some reason......
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Its got fecking cold today and I've had to put the heating on.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

:cry: Ncd is gone
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

My wipers stopped working.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Why the feck is the grass still growing this late in the year? If I leave if for a week, I've nearly got silage.....
Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

The city/utd result... 😭
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

People who will do anything for you - as long as it does not inconvenience them in any way whatsoever.
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Elwood_Blues wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:45 am The city/utd result... 😭
I take it you're a United supporter?

Don't worry, I'd rather eat the ball then have to watch 22 grown man chase a piece of leather around a field

Post by 95438756 »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:34 pm Why the feck is the grass still growing this late in the year? If I leave if for a week, I've nearly got silage.....
Still growing in front garden. Thriving like a weed.
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

I was at a match last night.
Some people leave as soon as the whistle goes and that's fine.
I usually stay on for a few minutes.
I usually step back and allow space for anyone to go while I can still see the pitch.
There's is always one non-understanding bovine who just stands beside me gawking, expecting me to move. As always, I'll point to space in front of me.
An age of enlightenment passes and they slowly begin to move into the unoccupied space to freedom.

It's just a little thing; I think it annoys me because it's people like that who try to make their problems - my problems, and that doesn't work for me brother.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

This is going to be a bit niche but Thetford fitting crap springs to the clasps on their motorhome fridges! Mine broke and the fridge is hardly 3 years old (typically a motorhome fridge should last the life of the unit. I disassembled it and a cheap, weak spring broke.

Well, that's annoying as I can't now lock the fridge for driving.

Thankfully I was at home so I went online to see about a replacement spring. No, I have to buy a whole clasp. Feck that for a game of soldiers!

30 min later I rigged up a much better spring (springy bar as opposed to the wound spring of the original) and normal operation is restored
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Two items ordered together (as a pack of two), delivered in two separate packages, bound together with plastic strapping. With the "FRAGILE" stickers on each placed face-to-face on the inside so they couldn't be seen. :roll:

Fortunately the internal packaging was sturdy enough, and they came via La Poste who (contrary to many private courriers) seem to know how to handle parcels.

Post by 678904673 »

Having to clean out the Hamster cage because the kids have lost interest in it and barely remember it's there
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 pm Having to clean out the Hamster cage because the kids have lost interest in it and barely remember it's there
This suddenly brought up an old memory. It's a macabre story so don't read on if you want to be cheerful. We lived in a tiny stone house when the kids were small, two really unbelievably small upstairs bedrooms. When our oldest got to the age of needing his own space, we decided to move our bed downstairs (where it could also function as a day couch/space in the living room - this was a very small house! No electricity or running water 😅). He got our room and we got the living room where the kids also kept their hamster's cage. The first morning I woke up kind of confused and groggy as to where I was and the first thing I saw was the hamster cage on a little table beside me with one of the hamsters heads wedged between the bars, and the rest of him hanging limply. Yuck. Kids and blooming hamsters.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The amount of dead stuff online would suck the life out of you. Facebook pages for long closed businesses are a particular hate of mine as I have to spend hours researching such stuff and if I had a Euro for every blind alley I have been led down I would be a rich man. :x :x
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Might be a particuliarity of French websites, but: coming from a search page, websites insisting you define your "local" bricks-and-mortar store before allowing you move on to the product page, then telling you the product is not available so they can't give you any information about it.

It's the internet FFS, the whole world is "local" if I'm window-shopping. :evil:
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

And while I'm here: feckin search engines sending me to recipe websites that only use incoherent American units. What kind of a jellied brain thinks it's still a good idea to mix quarts and cups and teaspoons and ounces and inches (inches? FFS) in a recipe. :roll:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Yep, bloody American units!

No wonder NASA lost a space craft when they various contractors got the units mixed-up and just looked at the number and not the unit!

Anyway, how bloody big is a "cup"? I've various sizes of cups in the press!
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

As I have their cup measures and an old chart that translates most old measures I'm okay, though a stick of butter is where I can come unstuck.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I have so many minor annoyances at the moment, it's hard to know where to start! The ESB bill - for fuxake, I could buy a serviceable second hand car with the amount they are asking in the last bill. Or a nice holiday in Gozo. I am in roaring pain the last 10 days because of a wild night of dancing I put in - moves I obviously had not been practising before the stupid mood came upon me. My love of brussels sprouts is under attack. I said to himself that lots of people like brussels sprouts and he said give me a list of their names. :evil: And because we have taken to cutbacks in the household shopping, he is actually hiding nice things for himself! I found the last of the cheese for last week hidden in a side pocket of the fridge. :roll: And that is all without the threat of nuclear conflagration being handwaved on all sides. Plus, Christmas is just over 9 weeks away, and I've not a thing done :P

Post by 678904673 »

Getting home with the shopping and realizing you forgot to pick up toilet roll. Quite the bummer :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:44 pm As I have their cup measures and an old chart that translates most old measures I'm okay
G'wan then: what's 3 cups of (fresh and squishy) figs? I'll take it in numbers of figs or grammes/kilos. :P
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

CelticRambler wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:34 pm G'wan then: what's 3 cups of (fresh and squishy) figs? I'll take it in numbers of figs or grammes/kilos. :P
I don't know. I would go with grabbed handfuls being a cup in that case, but if you have big hands, you're in trouble. But for your future edification, here's what I have.
IMG_20221018_164646_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20221018_164646_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (225.68 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
IMG_20221018_164710_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20221018_164710_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (241.38 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
IMG_20221018_164657_Easy-Resize.com.jpg
IMG_20221018_164657_Easy-Resize.com.jpg (235.03 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Diamonds of Frost
Verified Username

Post by Diamonds of Frost »

Myself. I'm on my holidays and it's been an endurance so far. Only another 6 nights left.

It's roasting hot so I can't go outside during the day and I dislike where we are staying. So I feel guilty that I'm not having a brilliant time because husband loves it and I love him. And to make it worse I've been moany and not liking how I've been :(
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Diamonds of Frost wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:00 pm Myself. I'm on my holidays and it's been an endurance so far. Only another 6 nights left.

It's roasting hot so I can't go outside during the day and I dislike where we are staying. So I feel guilty that I'm not having a brilliant time because husband loves it and I love him. And to make it worse I've been moany and not liking how I've been :(
Awwwww, you poor thing, honestly it's horrid. I adore heat and sunshine, and my husband instantly breaks out in full body, insanely-itchy prickly heat rash and sits around like a man in agony (because, I suppose, he is in agony). If I want to go to warm places I go with someone else or alone.