Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Annoyances & Irritations

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Re: Annoyances & Irritations

Post by 95438756 »

Stuck on a dublin bus 140 in aungier street because of Biden visit.ONE white van just ahead of the bus keeps on beeping as if that will make any difference.
YOU ARE ONE OF THE FOOKING LITTLE PEOPLE.
STOP BEEPING.

Post by 678904673 »

gugleguy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:50 am Stuck on a dublin bus 149 in aungier street because of Biden visit.ONE white van just ahead of the bus keeps on beeping as if that will make any difference.
YOU ARE ONE OF THE fecking LITTLE PEOPLE.
STOP BEEPING.
Reminds me of pedestrians pounding on traffic light button. Its not going to make the green man appear any faster.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

"Warning: video includes graphic content" ... only it doesn't, because we've blurred everything that might be considered "graphic" according to some arbitrary lowest common denominator. FFS, why do "mainstream" media channels bother with the clickbaity titles and snowflaky warnings if they're going to sanitise everything to the point of uselessness anyway. :evil:

Post by 678904673 »

I was opening a can of beans this morning when the ring snapped. And I cant find the tin opener:(
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Happy Days wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:34 am I was opening a can of beans this morning when the ring snapped. And I cant find the tin opener:(
Made me think of this scene from "Three Men in a Boat" I hope your kitchen didn't suffer. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

When I am Empress of the Universe, people who leave blobs of tomato ketchup on their plates for other people to wash up will be shot into space from fiery cannons. :x
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:40 am When I am Empress of the Universe, people who leave blobs of tomato ketchup on their plates for other people to wash up will be shot into space from fiery cannons. :x
Ah Empress you wont have time to cast your unruly subjects into the depths of space...................it will be decades before females will be released from kitchen sink duties..........The male rulers will not relinquish power over females for eons....
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

kadman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:54 am Ah Empress you wont have time to cast your unruly subjects into the depths of space...................it will be decades before females will be released from kitchen sink duties..........The male rulers will not relinquish power over females for eons....
It is a long established scientific fact that women have smaller feet than men which enables them to stand closer to the sink.
'no more blah blah blah'
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:59 am It is a long established scientific fact that women have smaller feet than men which enables them to stand closer to the sink.
Not to mention that women have a better ability to deal with monotonous boring tasks. Whereas men in a similar situation would last all of 20 seconds and then say........feck this for a game of soldiers, I'm off out.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Food dishes that need to be disguised by the application of noxious additives such as tomato sauce deserve no better than to have blobs of such additives left for the host. :) :) :)
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

That's by my simple lady count ....THREE. ...extra space cannons I shall be constructing forthwith.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

isha wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:41 am That's by my simple lady count ....THREE. ...extra space cannons I shall be constructing forthwith.
Yeah fire them all at DEL, sure i.m standing up for you here :lol:

Post by 678904673 »

Its the OH's birthday next week. I asked her if there was any thing in particular that she wanted. She replied with the words of doom "Surprise me."

Can you not just tell me what you want :x
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

My husband always surprises me with the same thing - a big bunch of nothing! 😁

But here, how about a voucher for a session in a sensory deprivation tank. That would be cool. It's next on my list of things to try - heard they are great. Or maybe just an afternoon spa thingy if she would not like that? Or dinner out?
I have an objection to stuff because where the feck do you put stuff and who really needs more stuff. But experiences...good present. Spring Weekend/ week away somewhere nice? Perfect time to go to Europe before it's too hot and crowded Maybe she would like that?
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Typical women , reminds me of the missus.

She wont say what she would like to get. But gives out when she gets something else instead.
We husbands are to be pitied.

Same as shopping...man goes into a shop and goes directly to what he wants, picks it up, pays, job done.
Woman goes into shop and looks at every blasted thing in the shop....and comes out with nothing.

aaaarrrgghhh....

Post by 678904673 »

isha wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:14 pm My husband always surprises me with the same thing - a big bunch of nothing! 😁

But here, how about a voucher for a session in a sensory deprivation tank. That would be cool. It's next on my list of things to try - heard they are great. Or maybe just an afternoon spa thingy if she would not like that? Or dinner out?
I have an objection to stuff because where the feck do you put stuff and who really needs more stuff. But experiences...good present. Spring Weekend/ week away somewhere nice? Perfect time to go to Europe before it's too hot and crowded Maybe she would like that?
We're already doing dinner. I was thinking of getting her a one way ticket to OZ. But like a boomerang, she'd come back :D
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

kadman wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:29 pmSame as shopping...man goes into a shop and goes directly to what he wants, picks it up, pays, job done.
Woman goes into shop and looks at every blasted thing in the shop....and comes out with nothing.

aaaarrrgghhh....
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

marhay70 wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:19 am Food dishes that need to be disguised by the application of noxious additives such as tomato sauce deserve no better than to have blobs of such additives left for the host. :) :) :)
To be fair to isha, there live among us a fair few culinary degenerates for whom a heap of tomato sauce appears to be the Main Attraction on their dinner plate, and everything else is just a garnish. :roll:

I blame the mothers ... :mrgreen:
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

CelticRambler wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:22 pm To be fair to isha, there live among us a fair few culinary degenerates for whom a heap of tomato sauce appears to be the Main Attraction on their dinner plate, and everything else is just a garnish. :roll:

I blame the mothers ... :mrgreen:
Philistines the lot of them. Irish kitchen cupboards should contain no more seasonings than salt and pepper and they should be added only at preparation.

Post by 678904673 »

I was hoping to watch some of the New York V Sligo GAA match today. Not because I think it will be any good. It will more then likely be dreadful. But more for the novelty of watching of watching a New York team on Irish soil. But it's only on GAAGO. The GAA's streaming service and I'll fooked if I'm shelling out 12 quid to watch it
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

My boot won't stay up. Car getting serviced in a couple of weeks so will get sorted then.
It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't raining. Trying to take out the grocery shopping this morning was torturous as I couldn't set the bags down.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

After wrestling with a non-cooperative website for half the day while renewing my car insurance I finally gave up and contacted the helpline. I should have known there was trouble ahead when the sweet young thing at the other end of the line thought it was "fantastic" that an obviously doting old duffer could remember their own Christian name, but she then proceeded to greet my every response to equally simple questions with the same chirping "fantastic" .
Those of you on Gubu who are familiar with my contributions will know that Marhay is a mild mannered soul, who bears malice toward none, but by the end of this inquisition and the accompanying hard sell, Mr Hyde had well and truly manifested himself and images were projecting of the Looney Tunes cartoons where the hairy forearm reaches out from the candlestick telephone and grabs the caller by their scrawny neck.

Post by 95438756 »

Not as incidental as marhay, but going home on the Dublin bus there was a lot of chatter which only manifests when the weather is inclement.
The type of chatter where all the world's problems can be solved by a cup of tea.
Irish and international people alike.
Just Shut up.

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:37 am After wrestling with a non-cooperative website for half the day while renewing my car insurance I finally gave up and contacted the helpline. I should have known there was trouble ahead when the sweet young thing at the other end of the line thought it was "fantastic" that an obviously doting old duffer could remember their own Christian name, but she then proceeded to greet my every response to equally simple questions with the same chirping "fantastic" .
Those of you on Gubu who are familiar with my contributions will know that Marhay is a mild mannered soul, who bears malice toward none, but by the end of this inquisition and the accompanying hard sell, Mr Hyde had well and truly manifested himself and images were projecting of the Looney Tunes cartoons where the hairy forearm reaches out from the candlestick telephone and grabs the caller by their scrawny neck.
Many many moons ago I worked in a Call Centre where we were trained to treat anyone over 50 like they were a doddery old so and so's. And to ask all questions very slowly and in a loud voice. And when we received the right answer to a question to reply with words like "GREAT & EXCELLENT".

I found it utterly patronising. I didn't last too long there thankfully
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:38 pm Many many moons ago I worked in a Call Centre where we were trained to treat anyone over 50 like they were a doddery old so and so's. And to ask all questions very slowly and in a loud voice. And when we received the right answer to a question to reply with words like "GREAT & EXCELLENT".

I found it utterly patronising. I didn't last too long there thankfully
Something else I presume we have to thank our transatlantic cousins for. Why are we so ungrateful?