Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Scam emails

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Scam emails

Post by Del.Monte »

Scammers very active at the moment but they really need to up their game. I received this one this evening but I think I'll give this opportunity a miss. When I'm in the mood I spend a few minutes forwarding the scammers emails to the others in my spam box or just to excite them I sometimes reply with a simple 'okay' to see what their next step will be. Anybody else have any interesting scammers contacting them recently?

Hello Dear

greetings from Burkina Faso, I am Miss Yasmine Ibrahim Coulibaly 24 years old female from the Republic of Ivory Coast, West Africa, am the Daughter of Late Chief Sgt. Warlord Ibrahim Coulibaly (a.k.a General IB). My late father was a well known Ivory Coast militia leader. He died on Thursday 28 April 2011 following a fight with the Republican Forces of Ivory Coast (FRCI). I am constrained to contact you because of the maltreatment which I am receiving from my step mother, you can read more about my late Father death through the below links:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/ ... -coulibaly.

I am seeking a long term relationship and investment assistance. My father of blessed memory deposited the sum of US$ 14.5 Million in one bank in Burkina Faso with my name as the next of kin. So If you are interested please contact me in my private email address (yasmineibrahimm@outlook.com) for more details.

Thanking you a lot in anticipation of your quick response. I will give you details in my next mail after receiving your acceptance mail to help me,

Yours sincerely
Miss Yasmine Ibrahim.
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: Scam emails

Post by Del.Monte »

This arrived today - I'm tempted but £14.5 million is a pittance to some of the offers that I've had of late.

Dear Friend,

My name is Dr Andrew Sentance, I am a politician from England London and also a manager in a financial institution as a Senior Economic Adviser to PwC. I got your contact from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of International Trade and Industry, I am searching for a reliable and experienced business expert that can guide me in setting up a lucrative business investment, so I decided to look for a tourism country or secure country for this investment project. I have GBP{£14.5 Million Pounds and I need your assistance and guidance to invest the money in your country.

My plan is that my daughter will come and meet you to discuss the investment and also stay with you until the investment process is settled. If you are capable and willing to assist me or collaborate with me to invest the fund in your country.

Kindly write to me on my personal email for more details: {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com}

Best Regards,
Dr Andrew Sentance
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Wow, do you mean I've passed up a genuine offer and he was throwing in his daughter too. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

You're lucky, my scam e-mails have consisted of threats to reveal my masturbatory habits to the world. As I trundle inexorably toward even older age I can only think "chance would be a fine thing"
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:27 pm ...they really need to up their game.
They're making bucket loads! The 'Nigerian Prince' scam still brings in several million a year.

I've had two mates scammed in the last two years (that I know of). Both cases were like "wtf were you thinking!".

One was selling an engagement ring online and got the old "I've paid you too much, can you send €500 back?". He did, along with the ring!!

The other thought he was in an online long distance relationship with some girl in Thailand or somewhere. He revealed to us one night that he'd been sending her thousands for some family medical emergency or something. Tragically, he's since committed suicide.

Dublin Zoo were caught for €500k on the "We've changed our bank details" scam.

So, I'm not sure scammers need to up their game at all. As long as there's a few unfortunates out there who are desperate or gullible enough, they're going to continue to rake it in.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's an other offer which somebody here might like to take up as I don't get out of bed for trifling sums like $2.5 million. :mrgreen:

Hello Dear Friend,

Your long awaited part payment of $2.5.000.00Usd (TWO MILLION FIVE
Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) is ready for immediate release
to you, and it was electronically credited into an ATM Visa Card for
easy delivery.

Your new Payment Reference No.- 6363836,
Password No: 006786,
Pin Code No: 1787
Your Certificate of Merit Payment No: 05872,
Released Code No: 1134;
Immediate Telex confirmation No:- 043612;
Secret Code No: TBKTA28

Your immediate response is needed UBA Bank
Person to Contact:MR KELLY HALL the Director of the International
Audit unit ATM Payment Center,
Email: unitedbankforafricagroupbf@financier.com
TELEPHONE: +226 68251393
'no more blah blah blah'
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

That's old school - all I'm getting now are Crypto mails. Apparently Leo Varadkar is buying and so should I...
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:57 pm Here's an other offer which somebody here might like to take up as I don't get out of bed for trifling sums like $2.5 million. :mrgreen:

Hello Dear Friend,

Your long awaited part payment of $2.5.000.00Usd (TWO MILLION FIVE
Hundred Thousand United State Dollars) is ready for immediate release
to you, and it was electronically credited into an ATM Visa Card for
easy delivery.
An ATM card no less...

With a cap of €600/day it will only take you 11.5 years to withdraw your money.

Post by 490808 »

Glad I read this thread as I checked my spam folder and didn't find any :D But did find a month old invoice for a bill I hadn't paid. :oops:
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another from today, I'm really on a roll. :mrgreen:

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

Paraquat? Wrong continent, banned in Europe since 2007 but still in use commercially in US as far as I know.

OP what dodgy sites have you been signing up for?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Continental Op wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:15 pm Paraquat? Wrong continent, banned in Europe since 2007 but still in use commercially in US as far as I know.

OP what dodgy sites have you been signing up for?
Nearly 99.9% of my scam emails come to two gmail a/cs neither of which are my principal account which is a fairly closely guarded secret but I always check the spam emails on both accounts as from time to time legitimate emails get diverted there. I'm signed up with virtually nobody but because one of the gmail accounts is visible all on my website and a number of my blogs I get lots of attention. It's a great way to make new friends, get rich, and not to mention increase my virility. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

Del.Monte wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:59 pm Nearly 99.9% of my scam emails come to two gmail a/cs...
Pro tip:
You can put +anything after the username of a gmail address and it will be delivered as normal.

For example, del.monte+gubu@gmail.com is treated the very same as del.monte@gmail.com. So as you sign up to various sites you can just add a +sitename to your email and then if you suddenly start getting loads of spam you will know exactly which site it came from.

You can also use it with labels and filters in gmail for handy sorting.

Also, in gmail, the . is ignored.
del.monte@gmail.com
delmonte@gmail.com
d.e.l.monte@gmail.com, are all treated the same.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

African Tribe Elders Give White Man 12 Inch Elongation Secret (Show Images)

Thankfully my Spam filter did not show images. :D
'no more blah blah blah'
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I got a scam phonecall on the landline this weekend. A soft spoken foreign lady said she had been asked urgently by Mr Leon, the director, to contact me. The director of a psychic reading company, she told me. Mr Leon would like me to take down his number and give him a 10 minute call as soon as possible because while there are good things coming for me, there is also some devilment in my life. So said Mr Leon.
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Did you give Mr.Leon a call?
'no more blah blah blah'
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

I remember coming across this guy atomicshrimp on youtube once and having a good laugh. He responds to the e-mails trying to waste as much of their time as possible. Its quite hilarious.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it:

Last edited by knownunknown on Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

Del.Monte wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:34 am Did you give Mr.Leon a call?
No! I said no thanks to the lady. I just wanted to hear her pitch because it was less boring than the usual.
I do my own prophesying. 😊
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

isha wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:04 am I got a scam phonecall on the landline this weekend. A soft spoken foreign lady said she had been asked urgently by Mr Leon, the director, to contact me. The director of a psychic reading company, she told me. Mr Leon would like me to take down his number and give him a 10 minute call as soon as possible because while there are good things coming for me, there is also some devilment in my life. So said Mr Leon.
I used to get that one quite often, although it was usually Madame Azzizingbar or something like that. Apparently she was (is?) really good psychic, according to her handmaiden. I used to say that I was quite interested in hearing about this Good News and could the Handmaiden put me through? No, she couldn't - Madame was in her Consultation Room and couldn't be disturbed. No problem, sure I'll hang on till she's available, sez I. Cue a litany of excuses as to why Madame couldn't come to the phone (including her being on the floor above ... :? which was my excuse to suggest that the Handmaiden walk upstairs to tell Madame - one of her Most Important Clients - that I was on the line waiting for her .. there was great mileage to be had in dealing with the Handmaiden's reasons why she couldn't do that) all of which eventually culminated in me asking if Madame was such a great Psychic, how did she allow her business - and this Very Important Call - to fall into such a state of unmanageable chaos?

D'you know, I kind of miss those days, when I had nothing better to do than waste the scammers' time. :lol:
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

My father took one of those scam calls. He's half deaf so between the deafness, poor phone reception and the accent, he just kept repeating "could you say that again?". After a minute of that, the scammer must have gotten pi$$ed and just hung up on him.

Years ago I answered the phone and it was one of those scammers. I switched on the TV and turned it to a kids channel. I turned up the volume, dropped the phone next to the speaker after saying "hold a minute, there's someone at the door). After a few minutes of Barney, they weren't there

Post by 490808 »

I personally think the best response to the phone scammers is "Does your mother know what you do?"
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another new one...from admin@ifastincome.com

Hey There,

Have you ever been so excited that you just want to jump out of

your chair and go flying through the roof?!?

That's about how I'm feeling right now.

Quite frequently I'll send out an email about something that I'm really excited about.

I was able to count my first 4 figures in my space even as a complete newbie in Affiliate
Marketing.

And it will be of EXTREME value to you.

It's worked for so many people like ; Tony Robbins,Devon Brown and also for most of
the top industry icons from around the world - myself included.

If it's worked for us, it can work for you too.

Just make sure you act fast so you don’t miss out.

Trust me when I tell you that you’ll kick yourself if you lose out on this!

See you there soon.....
'no more blah blah blah'
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I got one when I first started the job I'm in now. It was to my work email and was supposed to be from the President of the company. It was quite vague but basically saying he needed to talk to me about something but he was in a meeting. I couldn't reply back at the time but actually saw the President in person and asked him about the email he sent me. He was confused, and so was I. Then he twigged it. Check the sender. This had happened before in the company.
Basically they pretend to be a higher up in the company you work for and say they need you to do them a favour. Go get several $100 Amazon cards for them to give to worthy employees. They want you to go buy the cards and send the numbers to them.
Once I knew it was a scam I led them on for several days saying I would get them on the ay home. The one place I went on had $50s, I had to wait til pay day etc.
Then the day I said I had them I said I would scan in the cards and send it to them. I made a collage of troll pics with a few choice words. Lol, got one grumbly response back and then that email wouldn't accept any more emails from me. Haha.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The spirit of generosity of some people at Christmas knows no bounds... :mrgreen:

May the Almighty Lord be with you....
Am A WIDOW TO LATE MR David Lunner, I AM 59 .YEARS OLD. My name is
Josephine HOLLAND. I am married to Late Mr. David HOLLAND, who worked
in the France Embassy a here in Lome -Togo West Africa for nine years
before he died in the
year 2019.

You are chosen to Receive A Donation Cash Grant of my late husband
that funds $5.7,000, 000,00 (Five Million Seven Hundred Thousand
United States Dollars) to help the poor and orphanages through your
sincere help before my death. I am suffering from long time cancer of
the Breast, from all indication my conditions is really deteriorating
and it is quite obvious that I wouldn't live any more longer according
to my doctor because the cancer has gotten to a very bad stage that no
hope for me to be a living person again, All i need from you is your
sincerity to use this funds to do this project as i desired and I need
your information as where My Bank will be sending the funds,

such as:
Receiver's name:_ Address:_ Phone
number:_ Country:_

Please do not be offended by the way or manner I came to you as a
stranger to do this, it is about the only way I could get to you after
going through your contacts Id. I shall give you the contacts of the
bank. For legitimacy with a letter of authority that will establish
you as my appointed beneficiary of this money.

I am waiting for your reply.
From Sister Josephine HOLLAND.
'no more blah blah blah'