Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Scam emails

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.

Re: Scam emails

Post by 765489 »

I got one of them during the week. Straight to the bit bucket with it.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another PayPal :mrgreen: one this morning for people who shouldn't use online financial services.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Nothing electronically involved but watch out for people that come to your aide if a pigeon sh1ts on your head. There could be specially trained pigeons out there aiding criminals. One for the Joe Duffy show.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... s-26393620
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:48 am Nothing electronically involved but watch out for people that come to your aide if a pigeon sh1ts on your head. There could be specially trained pigeons out there aiding criminals. One for the Joe Duffy show.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-n ... s-26393620
Very innovative - is there nothing these scumbags won't try but I suppose it's better to be robbed this way than at knife-point?
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Only a matter of time before Ukraine and Russian generals start offering us all free money.

Dear Friend,
My name is General Viktor Zolotov, A General in the Russian Military. I was appointed as the commander of the Internal Troops by President Putin of the Russian Federation in 2015. I spoke vehmentaly against the invasion of Ukrainians and refused to get involved in the combat attack and airstrikes against Ukarians because it is an unjust war.I have disappered with my family after Major General Andrey Sukhovetsky was murdered yesterday during close range combat with Ukrains military, I and few others were allegded to have comprised the Generals Death, I and my family have advanced to a secret asylum arranged by United Nations pending when i will depart to any country where the safety of my family will be assured. I have $32,000,000.00 in an offshore account , as a matter of urgency I need to partner with you and your assistance will be greatly needed as the reward is handsomely , I will give further details upon hearing from you. I have to be very confidential because Pr
Thank you and God bless you
General Viktor Zolotov
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

Has anyone had an SMS 'as gaeilge' from a chinese address offering money and asking you to add a whatsapp number to your contacts? Seems well dodgy so I deleted it

Post by 765489 »

AIB: Due to unusual activity, your card has been placed on hold. Please visit helpaib\./com and follow the instructions there.

Deleted.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:57 pm AIB: Due to unusual activity, your card has been placed on hold. Please visit helpaib\./com and follow the instructions there.

Deleted.
I got that text as well. The phone even marked it as spam.

Also, do the scammers not realise that having my " card placed on hold" means that if it's true, the card can't be used by anyone.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Today's offering from this very professional, genuine looking email address: jorgegomez@mail.ejercito.mil.ar

Greetings, from the illuminati world elite empire. Bringing the poor, the needy and the talented to the limelight of fame, riches and powers, knowledge, business and political connections. This is the right time for you to put all your worries, your health issues, and finance problems to an end by joining the Elite Family of The illuminati!. Are you sick, Barren or having divorcing problems, finding it difficult to get job promotions in your place of work in order to excel in life just like you wish? If YES! Then join the illuminati empire you will get all this numerous benefit and solutions to your problems.
Note: that this email message was created solely for the purpose of our recruitment scheme which will end next month and this offer is for unique ones only; if you are not serious on joining the illuminati empire, then you are advice not to contact us at all. This is because disloyalty is highly not tolerated here in our organization.
Do you agree to be a member of the illuminati new world order? If YES!. Then kindly reply us back on our direct recruitment email only at: 00666illuminati@gmail.com
Please note, Kindly make sure all your response are send directly to the email stated above only at:> 00666illuminati@gmail.com
For more instructions on our membership process.
Note: Some email providers incorrectly place official Illuminati messages in their spam / junk folder or promotion folder. This can divert and exclude our responses to your emails.
'no more blah blah blah'
Scotty

Post by Scotty »

A new one doing the rounds...

All they need is your IBAN and phone number. People are far too flippant with sharing their IBAN imo.

They stick a bogus payment request on your account, this will never be settled but it will show up in your pending transactions in online banking until the bank reject it. In the meantime they call you and say they're from the bank and ask you to check your account. You see the bogey and they then give you bank details of a 'safe account' to quickly transfer your funds to while they rectify the situation.

Most banks have a €10k daily limit so not sure how the below happened.

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Most people don't know that there's a contact number for the bank on the back of their credit/debit cards. I've rang that in the past to confirm calls from the bank.

There was one time years ago when I got a call "from my bank saying there is suspicious activity on my credit card". I said "thanks I'll ring you back to confirm this is genuine" and rang the number on the back of the card. Turns out the call was genuine and there was some suspicious activity on my credit card. After apologising for cutting the previous call off, they told me that what I did was the right thing to do.

The best I ever heard of was someone got one of those scam calls "from their bank". The recipient was in the bank and handed the phone over to the bank teller......
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Here's the latest - maybe my luck is turning after a total wipe-out in the rugby and the Grand National - three fallers out of three horses backed. :mrgreen:

dear,
I am Jenneh Kandeh from FreeTown Sierra Leone Time of opposed to the
government of President Tejan Kebbah the ex-leader since 21st November
2005, I'm current residing in Benin due to the war of my country my
mother was killed on 04/01/2002 for Sierra Leone civil war and I am a
only child for my family so sad that my father passed away on
25/11/2018. during the war my father made some money through the sales
of Diamonds to the sum of $10,200,000. This fund is currently and
secretly kept in ECOWAS company in Benin, due to political turmoil
which exists in Africa, I cannot invest the money alone, hence am
soliciting your help to help me take these funds into your custody for
invest. I want to add here that if agreed 35% that's $3,570,000 of the
total worth of the fund will be yours minus your total expenses
incurred during the clearing of the fund in P/Novo Benin. Am wait to
hear from you
'no more blah blah blah'
nlgbbbblth

Post by nlgbbbblth »

The most inventive one for me goes back c.10 years

A guy claiming to be doing a school project on the "Recurrence of digits in credit card details" and asked me for my credit card number, expiry date & CVV "for research purposes".
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Just got a text from "Bank of Ireland". These are getting so common that even the phone labelled it as spam.....
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

The missus is getting loads of these Bank of Ireland texts - from random Irish mobile numbers! usually with a login link for L0GINB0I.C0M

(I've purposely obfuscated the link in case anyone tries to click it... 😬 )

It looks legit enough but fortunately it aroused her suspicions. I keep blocking the mobile numbers each time for her but the scammers seem to have a rolling list of spoofed mobile numbers they can use.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

I had a scam phonecall from 'Amazon' yesterday, if only their genuine customer service was as persistent!
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Scam text
Screenshot_20220421-211520_Messages.jpg
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

One of the latest - perhaps one of you would like to take up Mr.brown's generous offer? I was tempted to ask him to send me the $800,000 in Google Play cards. :mrgreen:

His email is curiously Nigerian looking for a man named Brown!

Mr. Johnson brown <akintolaadedayo2018@gmail.com

I am pleased to inform you of my success by transferring those funds through the help of a new partner from Paraguay.
I'm currently in Paraguay for investment projects with my own share of the total amount. In the meantime, I have not forgotten your efforts and attempts to help me transfer this money, even though it failed somehow.

I want you to contact my secretary. Her name is Miss. Ginni Rometty and her email address is ( ginnirometty622@gmail.com).

i instructed her to send you the sum of $ 800,000
[Eight hundred thousand dollars] I'm sending the sum to you for your compensation for all previous efforts and attempts you have made to assist me in transactions,

Please contact Mrs. Ginni Rometty and tell her how to send the amount to you.
Let me know right away when you receive the money so that after all the suffering at that time, we can share the joy.

I'm currently busy here due to the investment projects that I and my new partner are working on.

Finally, don't hesitate to contact Ms. Ginni Rometty at ( ginnirometty622@gmail.com) so that she can send the amount to you without delay.

Greetings
Mr. Johnson Brown
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Here's something a little bit different for you, Del! And far more serious than the "glitterbomb" clickbaity title would have you believe. :lol:

Post by 765489 »

Would love to see a ransomeware message across all the screens in that video.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Ncdjd2 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:59 pm Would love to see a ransomeware message across all the screens in that video.
One of his collaborators on this exercise regularly does that (the guy who hacked into their security cameras, you hear his voice at the end when he calls the scammer by her real name). He has his own channel. :geek:
Fratello
Verified Username

Post by Fratello »

I just got a call from scammer on 012528641.
Pretends to be Vodafone. I got suspicious when I could hear the wind blowing around. He must work on the move.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

This arrived today - seems real legit. :roll:

Good Day

I am MR. G. RUSSEL I work with Lloyds Bank London I have a private deal I will want to discuss with you please give me your most private email and telephone numbers so that I can send you details.

My private email
off1ceinternational@yandex.com

Kindest Regards

MR. G. RUSSEL

Thanks
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 765489 »

Getting a lot of scam calls today on my phone. Very fckin annoying.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Another one for the unwary. All quite legitimate looking including bona fide Royal Mail details top and bottom (not shown here) but with the usual give away of a personal gmail account at the top.

'no more blah blah blah'