Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Real men don't wear gloves. Do you?

Light hearted chat. Don't ash on the floor.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Real men don't wear gloves. Do you?

Post by CelticRambler »

There was a time when I enjoyed the manliness of using my bare hands to do just about any job in any weather ... but those days are gone. I got fed up with having stains that'd take a week or more to fade, catches on the skin of my fingertips, and the sheer waste of time scrubbing dirt off before going on to another job. Between work and play, I might use/change three or four types of glove in a day ... but I do still marvel at some of the old-timers, whose skin is obviously far thicker than mine and more resistant than anything you can buy in a shop!

What about the rest of ye?
Memento Mori

Re: Real men don't wear gloves. Do you?

Post by Memento Mori »

Rarely wear them for jobs as they get in the way or make my hands sweat. I wear them all the time to keep warm though!

Post by 6456739 »

I work in a research facility so it's essential PPE. If it gets very cold, I do like the protection for my hands. Debating getting some for the gym as I have calluses on my palms now.
isha
Verified Username

Post by isha »

I am the hands dirty type. I cannot weed properly with gloves on. My husband is always saying to me would you put on a pair of gloves for the love of God :lol: He is right thought, it's the Weil's disease possibility. Drilled into them at work. We were stacking wood recently and I had no gloves on and he said the rats could have been running over this for months and pissing. I wear gloves more often than I used to in fairness.

Jaysis I just saw ''men'' in the title - maybe I am not allowed reply to this thread :? :P
Thinking out loud, and trying to be occasionally less wrong...

Post by 490808 »

Never used to wear gloves but do now.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:16 pm Rarely wear them for jobs as they get in the way or make my hands sweat. I wear them all the time to keep warm though!
I wear the craftmans gloves with the bare fingers when I'm working outdoors, handling tools and ladders etc I have work supplied heavy duty PPE rubber gloves but hate them and never wear them

Post by 765489 »

I used to not wear gloves but always have them on now. Same with ear and eye protection. I buy two boxes of nitrile gloves every couple of months. Also when out pottering about in winter I'll have gloves on. Last couple of years the skin cracks on the back of my hands.
dawg

Post by dawg »

Hijacking thread a little to raise awareness of the existence of compression gloves. These are very mildly elasticated and can be beneficial to people ( M and F ) who have poor circulation in their hands ( e.g. Raynaud's ) and / or inflammatory arthritis affecting their hands.

( note the seams are on the outside of the glove - so they aint pretty )

They are flimsy and for certain not suitable for work but sometimes provide great relief. Wearing while sleeping can reduce the level of hand joint stiffness on waking.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I wear gloves at work when interacting with chemicals at work (mandatory PPE) I also wear disposable nitrile gloves when cleaning the car (some cleaning products are not nice on skin), messing with weedkiller etc in the garden. I also have to wear gloves when filling the car as I can't stand the sensation of diesel on the hands.

I wear gloves when cycling, especially on the mountain bike. Proper mountain bike gloves tend to stick onto the grips on the handlebars. I've had one or two "moments" over rocks etc where the shock through the handlebars shocked the hands open, but the gloves made sure I didn't loose grip. Also, gloves when you come off the mountain bike are handy to stop things going under the finger nails. I have seen that happen before.
peasant
Verified Username

Post by peasant »

I have no shame (anymore). I have taken up wearing these lately once it gets cold and damp:

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

Sorry lads (and lasses) - I know it looks like I started this thread and then fecked off, but that's not quite what happened. Was on mobile over the weekend, and Chrome decided that Gubu.ie wasn't as secure as it should be, and wouldn't let me back in to post, only to read ... :?

Anyway:
isha wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:28 pm I am the hands dirty type. I cannot weed properly with gloves on.
That's one of the jobs I still do (mostly) with bare fingers, mainly because I find even a small extra layer of protection reduces the sensitivity needed to pick out unwanted seedlings from the wanted ones. But for nettles, thistles and other unwanted growth, I generally opt for the protection!
Memento Mori wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:16 pm Rarely wear them for jobs as they get in the way or make my hands sweat.
I'm lucky in that regard - seem to be blessed with unsweaty hands (and feet) - so can happily wear non-breathable plastic/rubber/latex for work where PPE is necessary, and for washing up on the odd occasion the dishwasher doesn't do it. Even so, I found our local hardware's budget gloves are a great compromise, with rubberised fingers and palms over fabric. They're quite thin, so I can use them for relatively fine work, but they're also my preferred glove for handling the spade, fork, axe, sledge-hammer.
peasant wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:32 pm I have no shame (anymore). I have taken up wearing these lately once it gets cold and damp:

I've heard the arguments in favour, but just can't bring myself to buy a pair of gloves with bits missing! :? Also, I have a deep association of fingerless gloves and the character Fagan from Oliver Twist. :lol:
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

Never realised how essential gloves are, until a I did a bit of quick welding where I couldn't put my hands on my gloves for the few seconds welding, so i blasted on the weld on the bracket without them.
It wasn't until that evening that I realised the glare alone from the welder had burned the back of my hand like a serious sunburn.
But at the time i was welding i felt nothing.