Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Liverpool Club Thread v1

Love and theft

Re: 6 Times European Champions Liverpool Forum

Post by Love and theft »

Chelsea spending 100m on lukaku. Man city spending 100m on grealish. Man UFC spending 80m on Sancho. Are we the only team that covid had a massive negative impact on the clubs finances ? New Jersey sales. Got into champs league. Surely we should have money to spend rather then depending on sell to buy cash.
Widdensushi

Post by Widdensushi »

Last couple of years we got pay later deals, obviously there was a chunk due this year which isn't helping.
Buford T. Justice VI

Post by Buford T. Justice VI »

Todays team

And some good news about Henderson and Thiago as well
Buford T. Justice VI

Jota on 31'
Buford T. Justice VI

Berenguer on 53, 1-1
VitaminC

Post by VitaminC »

Robertson out injured. And so the injuries begin again.

This is why we need to buy buy buy. We need to boost the squad.
Widdensushi

Post by Widdensushi »

Hopefully the injury will turn out not to be too bad, we need to replace gini, other than that with the elliot and returning players we are pretty good, any more players would lead to other problems with players not making the squad etc
Buford T. Justice VI

Widdensushi wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 pm Hopefully the injury will turn out not to be too bad, we need to replace gini, other than that with the elliot and returning players we are pretty good, any more players would lead to other problems with players not making the squad etc
Do we need to replace Gini though? I know it would be nice but Curtis Jones stands to gain a good bit of playing time and he's a year older and more mature. Keita finally looks to have overcome his injuries and should be able to pick up a lot of the Gini time as well.

We have Henderson, Fabinho, Keita, Milner, Keita, Jones, Ox, Elliott was playing there yesterday, all fighting for 3 positions and there's probably a few I've missed as well along with some of the younger players that will get some game time. Unless the right player is available and for the right money, I can see us not strenghtening here at all.

I'd prefer to see a new forward come in over any other position, we really only have 4 players competing for 3 positions with maybe Elliott for a few games and Shak/Origi if they stay.
Love and theft

Re: Liverpool Club Thread v1

Post by Love and theft »

I think we did need to replace gini. Missed 11 premier league games in 5 seasons. For me, at the moment our starting 3 are fabinho, Henderson and thiago.after that we run in to trouble. Not bad players but trouble. Ox and kieta cant play 4 games in a row. Jones and elliot still developing. Milner is 55 I think. If one of the first 3 get injured we are then depending on players that are traditionally injured all the time
Buford T. Justice VI

Love and theft wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:21 pm I think we did need to replace gini. Missed 11 premier league games in 5 seasons. For me, at the moment our starting 3 are fabinho, Henderson and thiago.after that we run in to trouble. Not bad players but trouble. Ox and kieta cant play 4 games in a row. Jones and elliot still developing. Milner is 55 I think. If one of the first 3 get injured we are then depending on players that are traditionally injured all the time
I'd have good hope for Jones, despite going off early tonight with an injury. :D

It's hard to disagree with Fab, Hendo and Thiago starting, most games anyway. Keita should be playing more than he has done but hopefully his injury plague is behind him now. I still don't see FSG overpaying what they value a player at or buying a player to appease fans. If a player they think is value for money in his fee and wages than they'll buy him but move onto the next player if not.

I'd hoped FSG had learned from having only 3 senior CBs last season that there's a need for more than the bare minimum anywhere and they are buying both a midfielder and a forward but this is FSG...
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:28 pm I'd have good hope for Jones, despite going off early tonight with an injury. :D

It's hard to disagree with Fab, Hendo and Thiago starting, most games anyway. Keita should be playing more than he has done but hopefully his injury plague is behind him now. I still don't see FSG overpaying what they value a player at or buying a player to appease fans. If a player they think is value for money in his fee and wages than they'll buy him but move onto the next player if not.

I'd hoped FSG had learned from having only 3 senior CBs last season that there's a need for more than the bare minimum anywhere and they are buying both a midfielder and a forward but this is FSG...
with origi and shaqiri missing both games over the last couple of days I'd say they could be sold on which could possibly free up funds for an addition to the squad before the season starts
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Love and theft wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 pm with origi and shaqiri missing both games over the last couple of days I'd say they could be sold on which could possibly free up funds for an addition to the squad before the season starts
Actually I just read the report. Origi did get included today
Buford T. Justice VI

Love and theft wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:10 pm Actually I just read the report. Origi did get included today
Origi got on from 46', Shaq is subject to an offer from Lyon but Liverpool want to get close to what we paid for him so a bit short of £13m
Buford T. Justice VI

Robertson has some ligament damage, should be back after the international break in early September.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:32 am Robertson has some ligament damage, should be back after the international break in early September.
Easily the best left back in the premier. Will be a big loss for the few games but I've been waiting to see how good tsimikas is. Has shown plenty of promise since he has been at the club
Buford T. Justice VI

Love and theft wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:51 pm Easily the best left back in the premier. Will be a big loss for the few games but I've been waiting to see how good tsimikas is. Has shown plenty of promise since he has been at the club
He's definitely improved in the offseason, I think. Maybe he just needed time to settle in a new society and club with higher expectations, that's not something we fans generally give to a new signing.

I saw a few clips of him attacking yesterday and that part of his game looks good, albeit against a poor looking side. I'll wait until I see him defend for a few games and see how his positioning and decision making are but there might just be a good player there about to emerge.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:15 pm He's definitely improved in the offseason, I think. Maybe he just needed time to settle in a new society and club with higher expectations, that's not something we fans generally give to a new signing.

I saw a few clips of him attacking yesterday and that part of his game looks good, albeit against a poor looking side. I'll wait until I see him defend for a few games and see how his positioning and decision making are but there might just be a good player there about to emerge.
Agreed. The fact he was in the position to get those crosses in shows he is learning how to play at full back the way klopp expects the team to play.

Roll on Saturday evening !
Indiablo

Post by Indiablo »

Klopp made some great points in his press conference and it kinda ties in with how I've been thinking. Imagine how much money clubs would have to spend to land players of the calibre of VVD, Fabinho, TAA, Allison, Salah, Mane, Thiago etc??

Most fans tend to see the lack of signings as some sort of weakness. Far from it.

The club has prioritised the importance on keeping this great squad we already have together for years to come.
The squad is also massive. You could nearly name 3 seperate 11's.

Remember the days when the club settled for 2nd best time and time again by forking out £20M - £25M for 2 or 3 average players per window? It was nonsense. It would've been way more effective to spend £75M on the one player who makes the difference. The VVD and Allison signings stand out in that regard. We failed to land VVD in the summer and instead of settling for 2nd best, Klopp waited and got his man in Jan and the rest is history.

Under previous regimes we'd move on to 2nd / 3rd choice and ultimately regret it.

Utd, Chelsea and City are splashing the cash but give me VVD over Varane, Mane over Sancho any day and Lukako for £100M?? Give me a break!

Grealish I'll admit looks good business but all these players are not what we need. We need a striker and they are so hard to land. Personally I'd have liked to see Ings given another go now his injuries seem to be behind him.
"The Nature of Reality is Pure Subjective Fantasy"
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Indiablo wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:59 pm Klopp made some great points in his press conference and it kinda ties in with how I've been thinking. Imagine how much money clubs would have to spend to land players of the calibre of VVD, Fabinho, TAA, Allison, Salah, Mane, Thiago etc??

Most fans tend to see the lack of signings as some sort of weakness. Far from it.

The club has prioritised the importance on keeping this great squad we already have together for years to come.
The squad is also massive. You could nearly name 3 seperate 11's.

Remember the days when the club settled for 2nd best time and time again by forking out £20M - £25M for 2 or 3 average players per window? It was nonsense. It would've been way more effective to spend £75M on the one player who makes the difference. The VVD and Allison signings stand out in that regard. We failed to land VVD in the summer and instead of settling for 2nd best, Klopp waited and got his man in Jan and the rest is history.

Under previous regimes we'd move on to 2nd / 3rd choice and ultimately regret it.

Utd, Chelsea and City are splashing the cash but give me VVD over Varane, Mane over Sancho any day and Lukako for £100M?? Give me a break!

Grealish I'll admit looks good business but all these players are not what we need. We need a striker and they are so hard to land. Personally I'd have liked to see Ings given another go now his injuries seem to be behind him.
Definitely. Liverpool have played it very well in the transfer market in the last 4 years or so. Klopp doesn't spend for the sake of it

I remember back to the Benitez days. Every summer 10 average players in at a cost of 30m rather than just buy 1 player that will go straight into the first 11
Buford T. Justice VI

Jones is out of tonights squad because of concussion. And Alisson in goals.

Gomez probably won't start, iirc he'll need a few more sessions to make sure his tendon is ok, Matip probably will. I can see VVD starting instead of Konate tonight, maybe for 70 minutes? Tsimikas and TAA on the wings.

Midfield is probably Fabinho and Thiago with a third to be decided. I can't see Henderson starting with so few preseason minutes under his belt so Ox or Keita with Henderson coming on at 60'?

I could see Jota starting instead of Firmino, either one with Mane or Salah.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Buford T. Justice VI wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 am Jones is out of tonights squad because of concussion. And Alisson in goals.

Gomez probably won't start, iirc he'll need a few more sessions to make sure his tendon is ok, Matip probably will. I can see VVD starting instead of Konate tonight, maybe for 70 minutes? Tsimikas and TAA on the wings.

Midfield is probably Fabinho and Thiago with a third to be decided. I can't see Henderson starting with so few preseason minutes under his belt so Ox or Keita with Henderson coming on at 60'?

I could see Jota starting instead of Firmino, either one with Mane or Salah.
Away from home I like to play with a solid midfield 3. I wonder would you put milner in next to fabinho and thiago. Away games starting with ox or kieta I sometimes find it's really 50/50 if they'll play well or not
Widdensushi

Post by Widdensushi »

Hope not, we need a bit more of a goal threat from midfield, I hope jota starts also, go big or go home, looking forward to it, hope it will be entertaining either way.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Milner ox and kieta in a midfield away from home...we better hope the front 3 turn up tonight
Buford T. Justice VI

I got the midfield all wrong :D
What are the odds of both Ox and Keita finishing the game?
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Ok kieta is getting a clean slate.. he is being judged going forward. I want to see a performance tonight