Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Portugal Ireland

Riffmongous

Portugal Ireland

Post by Riffmongous »

Sickened, so close and then everything snatched away 30 seconds over time.

Didn't trust that ref at all
Love and theft

Re: Portugal Ireland

Post by Love and theft »

Riffmongous wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:06 pm Sickened, so close and then everything snatched away 30 seconds over time.

Didn't trust that ref at all
Connolly had to score tonight. 2 decent chances. Has to take 1 of them
JDaniels

Post by JDaniels »

It's the hope that kills ya
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Gut wrenching. Didn't play half bad either.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Agree, soccer is corrupt, the reff went away over time to give Portugal more chances.
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

JONJO THE MISER wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:57 pm Agree, soccer is corrupt, the reff went away over time to give Portugal more chances.
The broad smirk on his face, almost apologetic to issue Ronaldo a yellow for whipping off his shirt. FIFA living down to expectations, the cash cow is sacred and must be venerated at all costs.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Post by Hodors Appletart »

Wasn't the ref that beat Ireland last night, it was allowing crosses into the box and letting one of the best scorers of headed goals to ever play the game to get on to the end of them.

It was tired legs and poor squad depth.

So what if the ref was smiling and laughing with the player who had just gained the international goalscoring record, it is a bizarre situation where he's celebrating that absolutely amazing milestone, but picks up a stupid yellow card for it. The ref is allowed a wry smile and apology to the player in my opinion.

Are refs supposed to be robots? Must have missed that memo.
Hold The Door
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:05 am Wasn't the ref that beat Ireland last night, it was allowing crosses into the box and letting one of the best scorers of headed goals to ever play the game to get on to the end of them.

It was tired legs and poor squad depth.

So what if the ref was smiling and laughing with the player who had just gained the international goalscoring record, it is a bizarre situation where he's celebrating that absolutely amazing milestone, but picks up a stupid yellow card for it. The ref is allowed a wry smile and apology to the player in my opinion.

Are refs supposed to be robots? Must have missed that memo.
Also technically it's a minimum of 5 mins added time. The ref didn't do anything wrong re the time added on
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

he didn't, and he was warning Irish players about timewasting by the 19th minute last night.
Hold The Door
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Hi 5s all round from the media and journalists this morning. Massive progress under Kenny bla bla bla

6 points from the next 2 games is what is required before people get carried away with themselves

Ireland still have 0 points on the board but somehow that doesn't matter anymore
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

Love and theft wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm Hi 5s all round from the media and journalists this morning. Massive progress under Kenny bla bla bla

6 points from the next 2 games is what is required before people get carried away with themselves

Ireland still have 0 points on the board but somehow that doesn't matter anymore
Qualification is virtually a non-runner, need to extract any positivity from this campaign and stringing a few wins together is what the doctor ordered. Kenny deserves a slice of fortune after last night, we finally have some young talent breaking through and the performances should only improve from here.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

they had nothing to lose last night though, so that will have impacted on how they played.

Ireland are a far way off tournament qualification for at least three or four cycles, at the very best
Hold The Door
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

erm, no

the prosecutor found there to be not enough evidence for a criminal conviction

the accuser is going the civil, not criminal, route

so....the cases are different

What you are saying is very disturbing really; that as soon as a person is accused of rape they should be suspended from work until they are found not guilty, is it that what you mean?

I'd love for you to expand on that, because on the face of it, it means that I can go to a police station tomorrow, accuse you of rape and unless or until it goes to court, you would not be allowed to work in your job.

Even if the DPP found no case to prosecute?

Am I picking you up correctly here?
Hold The Door
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Love and theft wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:56 pm Hi 5s all round from the media and journalists this morning. Massive progress under Kenny bla bla bla

Next game is El Crappico, whoever loses will finish bottom of the group. But look at the amazing progress Kenny is making.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:45 pm erm, no

the prosecutor found there to be not enough evidence for a criminal conviction

the accuser is going the civil, not criminal, route

so....the cases are different

What you are saying is very disturbing really; that as soon as a person is accused of rape they should be suspended from work until they are found not guilty, is it that what you mean?

I'd love for you to expand on that, because on the face of it, it means that I can go to a police station tomorrow, accuse you of rape and unless or until it goes to court, you would not be allowed to work in your job.

Even if the DPP found no case to prosecute?

Am I picking you up correctly here?
From Ronaldo's first statement to US police.

She was lying on her side, in bed, and I entered her from behind. It was rough. We didn't change position. 5/7 minutes. She said that she didn't want to, but she made herself available. The whole time it was rough, I turned her onto her side, and it was fast. Maybe she got some bruises when I grabbed her. (...) She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."
Riffmongous

Post by Riffmongous »

Love and theft wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:57 am Also technically it's a minimum of 5 mins added time. The ref didn't do anything wrong re the time added on
This would be fine if it was consistent, but it's not and playing over is really the exception, so it is something to feel aggrieved about imo.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Riffmongous wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:23 pm This would be fine if it was consistent, but it's not and playing over is really the exception, so it is something to feel aggrieved about imo.
There was a VAR check in added time which would have added time on, and Ronaldo scored after the board went up with 5 mins on it as far as I can recall. A general rule is another 30 seconds added per goal scored.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

1 nil up in the 89th min away from home in a crucial game and it's the ref that needs to answer questions and not the manager
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

What can you say after that? 112th in the world and we get a last minute draw. Brutal stuff

Surely all the media defenders for the saviour of Irish football can call it for what it is now. 1 win in 15. Just not acceptable.
Hodors Appletart
Verified Username

Who do you want to replace Kenny with?

Who is going to pay off his contract?

How would the FAI pay for another manager on top of that?

Who would take the job?

Facts are, this is a young team of limited talent with a really bad domestic scene and an atrocious grassroots level coaching network, reliant on a foreign set-up to develop players.

Ireland has been punching above it's weight for a couple of decades now, it was bound to end up like this.

What do people want, some Sean Dyche style mucker from the UK to come in and implement yet more kick and rush, because any manager who plays anything resembling good football would look at that squad, national association and coaching network and laugh his arse off.

Ireland are limited to mercenary managers, longball merchants or trying to promote a successful domestic manager.
Hold The Door
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am Who do you want to replace Kenny with?

Who would take the job?

Facts are, this is a young team of limited talent with a really bad domestic scene and an atrocious grassroots level coaching network, reliant on a foreign set-up to develop players.

Ireland has been punching above it's weight for a couple of decades now, it was bound to end up like this.

What do people want, some Sean Dyche style mucker from the UK to come in and implement yet more kick and rush, because any manager who plays anything resembling good football would look at that squad, national association and coaching network and laugh his arse off.

Ireland are limited to mercenary managers, longball merchants or trying to promote a successful domestic manager.
You could replace Kenny with a wheelie bin and results would improve. He should never have been near the job.
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

Hodors Appletart wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:08 am Who do you want to replace Kenny with?

Who would take the job?

I dont agree with your assessment that it was bound to end up like this. All SK had to do was beat Lux (96th in the rankings) home and away, beat AZ (112th in the rankings) home and away, then look for a draw away to either Serbia or Portugal and we would then find ourselves in a 1 off match to finish 2nd. That's the way we have been doing it for years. Beat the teams your supposed to and try get a result against the better teams.

No much progress no matter how many times he tells us there is. I mean AZ were walking passed our midfield Saturday night time and time again. I dunno if SK can set up his teams correctly or make the right in play changes when required
Love and theft

Post by Love and theft »

I'm not sure why but I think Ireland will get a result tonight. 1 1 I'd say tonight
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

Come on Ireland.
Think there will be a rake of goals.
Backed over 2.5 goals 8-)
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

James McClean reminds me of a waste of oxygen. He last completed a pass in 2009. And Hendrick is more concerned with his flowing locks than having less than zero influence in midfield. Other than that, we're fine.