Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Irish Football team - Euros and World Cups

quodec

Irish Football team - Euros and World Cups

Post by quodec »

At last! Stephen Kenny has finally got a win under his belt - and not before time. Not pretty at times and maybe the criticism towards Robinson during the week stung him into action and he scored two really good goals. When was the last time Ireland won 3-0 away from home?
marhay70

Re: Irish Football team - Euros and World Cups

Post by marhay70 »

It's good to see an Irish team play the ball on the ground, it may not always come off but anything is better than the sort of shite we were playing under O'Neill. How many of the players on the pitch tonight would have got a game in his time? I just hope that this is the result that spurs the team on to better things but really the players are not there, maybe the time has come to start blooding a few LOI players.
SeanCena

Post by SeanCena »

We are very open to counter attack but at least we look to pass the ball forward.

Also watching Azerbaijani keeper tonight, i think we take for granted just how solid we have always been at gk. Have we ever had a bad keeper?
quodec

Post by quodec »

Ireland v Qatar at the Aviva tonight. 2-0 after half an hour. Any idea why we're playing in blue shirts - as we're the home team?
quodec

Post by quodec »

quodec wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:17 pm Ireland v Qatar at the Aviva tonight. 2-0 after half an hour. Any idea why we're playing in blue shirts - as we're the home team?
Answering my own question, the blue jersey represented the centenary colours worn by the first national team in 1921 - I think!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

quodec wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:31 am Answering my own question, the blue jersey represented the centenary colours worn by the first national team in 1921 - I think!

Blue is the official National colour of Ireland, we probably should play in it all the time, green is a relatively recent adoption.
I'm really enjoying watching the National team play at the moment, maybe elimination from the World Cup was a blessing in disguise. The team seems to have a new freedom in their approach which is a pleasure to watch, Robinson's third goal from Hendrick's pass last night, was a classic. Would it have worked against Italy or Spain?, Hard to say but what pleases me is that they had the confidence and the flair to try it.
I'm looking forward to next month's games because, although they may be dead rubbers, the chance to play this way against the likes of Portugal, should make for exciting stuff.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Mountain wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:45 pm Second away win? Though admittedly friendlies v Andorra are forgettable results.

When you think of some of the players with Wigan, Portsmouth, St. Mirren, Wycombe and MK Dons it highlights just how weak the squad is. But good to see them try to play football, and brave of Kenny to stick to his guns despite all the sniping. Critics overlook one simple fact, we have absolutely no goal scorer, none, not one, and Jesus Christ himself would struggle to manage a team with no goal scorer.
Mick McCarthy, no relation to Jesus Christ, had us within 1 goal of qualifying automatically for Euro 2020. Kenny has dragged us so far back and idiots are clapping for him. A real life Emperors New Clothes.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Mountain wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:49 pm The time we hoofed our way ahead of Gibraltar and Georgia and scored 7 goals to finish mid group, while the teams ahead of us scored 23 and 19?

Ole Ole indeed. Some of our best moral victories ever.
Yes, the Euro 2020 qualifiers where we took 13 points and where 1 more goal would have gotten us AUTOMATIC qualification ahead of Denmark, who went on to have a brilliant tournament and are currently 8 games, 8 wins, 27 scored and 0 conceded in their current group.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I’m not too bothered about the qualifying, we’re a very small country that contracts out its player development and have been catastrophically run at a board level for decades, so we can’t expect much. I just never want to see that muck on the pitch that O’Neill was serving up by the end, and that McCarthy continued.
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

The only point of international football is qualifying for tournaments. Its where the money to develop players/coaches/facilities comes from. Are people really this stupid??
weldoninhio

Post by weldoninhio »

Mountain wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:35 am Oh obviously intelligent people loved to see the ball hoofed into the rafters, and stupid people like seeing it passed around... :D
Intelligent people realise qualification = money to pay for stadium, coaches, decent management, player development.

Idiots like padded stats like passes completed, even though the majority is passive, pointless passing around the back while the opposition stand off and/or regroup. Even when we are miles away from qualification and sinking down the rankings like the Titanic, which in turn puts us in a lower pot and makes qualification when we get a proper manager even harder, especially when we've no money to pay one or to help develop players because we haven't qualified for anything in years.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Well, a 0-0 result tonight against a weakened Portuguese team shows some kind of incremental improvement from earlier in the year but the crunch match is the next one. Kenny and his team have to beat Luxembourg at the weekend or it will be all for nothing and his managerial term would well and truly be ending if not. I predict a nervy 1-0 to us!!!!!
quodec

Post by quodec »

Ireland doing what they do best - not winning :|
Frank

Post by Frank »

Maybe we should start drafting in some Brazilians or Italians like the rugby team do with New Zealanders.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Two really good performances from Ireland this week, against Scotland and Ukraine. It's been a long time since I can honestly say that I enjoyed watching the boys in green. Maybe Kenny is doing something right after all!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Whether he's the right man to do it remains to be seen, but what he's doing definitely needed to be.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

It always fascinates me that for such a small country, we rank so high in rugby but poorly in football. I know football is a much more popular sport with a LOT more playing it and all that.

Anyway, fingers crossed it's the start of something good....
Frank

Post by Frank »

There's only about 6 countries in the world that take rugby seriously so it's nowhere near as hard. Plus soccer would lose players to GAA as they're more 'of the people' so there's a larger crossover. There wouldn't be as much with rugby as their demographic wouldn't be the GAA type.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Hard-fought 3-2 win for Ireland over Latvia the other night but next game is against the French on Monday and here they are 2-0 up already versus the Dutch after 7 minutes!! Big big job for Stephen and the boys to get anything out of the game.

Post by 678904673 »

quodec wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:55 pm Hard-fought 3-2 win for Ireland over Latvia the other night but next game is against the French on Monday and here they are 2-0 up already versus the Dutch after 7 minutes!! Big big job for Stephen and the boys to get anything out of the game.
No need to panic. Stephen Kenny has got this:)
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

An Ireland team that ships two goals against Latvia versus a French team that knocks in four against the Dutch, not looking good.
I still have to say, I like the way Ireland play these days but It's hard to play against the best teams in the world with players who aren't even getting regular football with championship and first division sides in the UK. Really if we want to build a decent international side then the promising players need to be encouraged to stay in the LOI and build the game here. We've enough FDI in the country for the League to go and knock on a few doors and look for investment.

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:43 am An Ireland team that ships two goals against Latvia versus a French team that knocks in four against the Dutch, not looking good.
I still have to say, I like the way Ireland play these days but It's hard to play against the best teams in the world with players who aren't even getting regular football with championship and first division sides in the UK. Really if we want to build a decent international side then the promising players need to be encouraged to stay in the LOI and build the game here. We've enough FDI in the country for the League to go and knock on a few doors and look for investment.
In theory your ideas make perfect sense. The problem is the FAI has shag all interest in the LOI
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:59 pm In theory your ideas make perfect sense. The problem is the FAI has shag all interest in the LOI
The balls were found to root out Delaney and his "show me the money" gang and I think there are enough genuine football men in the FAI today for them to put the future of Irish football to the fore. Good things are also happening in the LOI, a long way to go yet but it has come a long way, kids want to play soccer, girls too, if there was more emphasis put on primary level schools, the way it is with GAA, a waste of young talent IMO, then we could have a decent pool of young players filtering into LOI clubs at Junior level, rather than being banned by togging out for the local GAA club.

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:21 pm The balls were found to root out Delaney and his "show me the money" gang and I think there are enough genuine football men in the FAI today for them to put the future of Irish football to the fore. Good things are also happening in the LOI, a long way to go yet but it has come a long way, kids want to play soccer, girls too, if there was more emphasis put on primary level schools, the way it is with GAA, a waste of young talent IMO, then we could have a decent pool of young players filtering into LOI clubs at Junior level, rather than being banned by togging out for the local GAA club.
It was Delaney's hubris that brought him down. If he'd been more low key and level headed he'd still be in the role. Yes the LOI has improved but the standard still isn't great and in terms of focus on primary school it's well behind the GAA and Rugby. But they are getting better

On a side note I've never bought into the idea that the GAA siphon off a large amount of talent.
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:32 pm

On a side note I've never bought into the idea that the GAA siphon off a large amount of talent.
I have a grandson who plays both codes and woe betide he miss GAA training to play a Soccer match, he wouldn't get a game again that season. The GAA has a stranglehold on the junior scene, it's as if the ban was never lifted. Fcuking Mafia