Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Irish Football team - Euros and World Cups

Re: Irish Football team - Euros and World Cups

Post by 678904673 »

marhay70 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:46 pm I have a grandson who plays both codes and woe betide he miss GAA training to play a Soccer match, he wouldn't get a game again that season. The GAA has a stranglehold on the junior scene, it's as if the ban was never lifted. Fcuking Mafia
That hasn't been my experience. But we'll respectfully agree to disagree
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Happy Days wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:58 pm That hasn't been my experience. But we'll respectfully agree to disagree
I suppose there have to be places that have moved into the 21st century, just not enough of them. :)
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Nil all at half time....France are off the boil abit....I dunno much about soccer,but I think Ireland are doing well so far.....with players who would be limited enough
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Post by 678904673 »

Ireland are playing well. The question is can they keep it up for another 45 minutes
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Have it on in the background. I know less than nothing about soccer but given that the pundits were expecting Ireland to be massacred they are going well so far.
'no more blah blah blah'
Apelles

Post by Apelles »

1 - 0 to France, bar the goal, Ireland are doing pretty well & holding their own.
quodec

Post by quodec »

A team of mainly championship and first division players holding their own against the French! Great to see!
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Ireland look gassed out,hard to see em keep it at 1 nil
"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Setanta wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:21 pm Ireland look gassed out,hard to see em keep it at 1 nil
I'm a pure tool,made to eat my words here!!

They've had enough chances to win it
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Good to see the team confound the experts.
'no more blah blah blah'
Berties_Horse
Verified Username

Post by Berties_Horse »

That was a tremendous effort, had France pinned back at the very end and only Maignan brilliance denied them a deserved equaliser. Ogbene ran circles around Hernandez, Coleman had Mbappe tucked away in his back pocket and Molumby was imperious. Reproduce more performances like this and Ireland might actually qualify from the group 8-)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” - Voltaire
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

Magnificent in defeat. How many times have we seen that over the years and it was a schoolboy error that did the damage in the end.
I'm not one for cliches but every one of those lads can feel proud tonight, indeed the whole camp.
quodec

Post by quodec »

Greece 2 Ireland 1 in Athens tonight. And a very poor performance all around. I just think Kenny has very little options available, no matter how far down the squad he goes. We have no special player, not one, who will win a game for us these days. Fact of life!

Post by 678904673 »

quodec wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:18 pm Greece 2 Ireland 1 in Athens tonight. And a very poor performance all around. I just think Kenny has very little options available, no matter how far down the squad he goes. We have no special player, not one, who will win a game for us these days. Fact of life!
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. The quality of player available to Kenny is pretty poor. You could put Pep and he'd struggle.

This Irish team is going nowhere for the next few years
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

I taught Ireland looked a poorly prepared side tbh.....while they mightn't have the quality of other teams,some of the stuff they were doing was nuts.

teams have cottoned on that they try and play it from the back,and while it's good to see it tried,some of the passes are madness and amount to poor onfield decision making....passing a ball 5 yards to someone who is marked within 20 yards of the goal is stuff a child wouldn't do....and encourages other teams to press up onto them as they will in every game give up a half dozen or so chances this way

Whether anyone could better than Kenny is another question altogether....I doubt it,but a stronger midfield is what's needed,that would break up/pressurise teams....god knows if we have the players for that though 🤷
quodec

Post by quodec »

Liam Brady is doing his last punditry tonight for the Gibraltar game. Presently recalling some of his memories, both on and off the pitch. He's the last of the old guard on RTE, so its the end of an era.
quodec

Post by quodec »

So, after the handy away game in France the other night, this game this evening against The Netherlands should be a bit of a walk in the park for Kenny and his bhoys - or will it? Kenny gets a bad press but he has basically only Championship calibre players to draw from, so how are we supposed to have a chance against these top-rated teams?
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

quodec wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:29 pm So, after the handy away game in France the other night, this game this evening against The Netherlands should be a bit of a walk in the park for Kenny and his bhoys - or will it? Kenny gets a bad press but he has basically only Championship calibre players to draw from, so how are we supposed to have a chance against these top-rated teams?
Kenny and his backroom team haven't a scooby do as highlighted by Dunne and Delaney on Virgin.
Koeman changed his formation and it took about 20 minutes for Ireland to react.

And Championship players are not that bad, their top teams would give most leagues in Europe a run for their money.
Setanta

Post by Setanta »

Not to heaping pressure on a young fellow,if even Ferguson was playing last night,I'd have backed him to score a minimum of 2 of the chances in first half
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

Setanta wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:04 pm Not to heaping pressure on a young fellow,if even Ferguson was playing last night,I'd have backed him to score a minimum of 2 of the chances in first half
The problem now is Ferguson is going to have so much pressure heaped on him.
He is the one player with some true class.
We have no one else.
Bazuna has probably found his level.
Kelleher really needs to get out of Liverpool.
People rave about Collins, but so far really he makes too many mistakes.
Egan was terrible the other night and will probably be going back to the championship with Sheffield.
And we had to rely on old Duffy to add some steel.
I can't be bothered going through the rest as there is no one with real .

So poor young Ferguson is meant to carry his not so great teammates and the inept management.

Post by 678904673 »

You know things are bad when McClean a player in the old division 4 is still getting his game. I do have some sympathy for Kenny as from a quality perspective we have very little at the moment. In saying that he's ran his course and a fresh approach is required
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Bring in Lee Carsley !!!
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
jmayo

Post by jmayo »

PlaneSpeeking wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:42 am Bring in Lee Carsley !!!
They can't afford Carsley and there is no way in hell he would leave England setup to take over the shyteshow that is Ireland.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jmayo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:50 pm They can't afford Carsley and there is no way in hell he would leave England setup to take over the shyteshow that is Ireland.
Sadly true !
“I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” - Voltaire

"I'll see you out there!!" - Roy Keane
quodec

Post by quodec »

Ireland 0 Greece 2. Only 3 pts from 6 games and Kenny is more or less a dead man walking. Yet, no one is talking about the absolute dearth of quality he has throughout the squad. How can a manager hope to change and improve and progress when he hasn't the material to work with. Put Pep in Kenny's place and he would make little or no difference either. Bar one or two hopefuls all we have are a bunch of mediocre players - and that is the sad truth!