Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

New tablet

Cobham

New tablet

Post by Cobham »

My 5 yrs old Samsung tablet has 'died' ... the port for power cable is broken ( not full of fluff!). I used it often and it filled a gap between phone and laptop especially for travel. It had a great screen so I liked it for TV viewing, decent camera and also made reading electronic newspapers a pleasure. Do I need to replace with something as fancy as my old one was or are the 'cheap' ones around now just as good?

Re: New tablet

Post by 765489 »

Cobham wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:12 pm My 5 yrs old Samsung tablet has 'died' ... the port for power cable is broken ( not full of fluff!). I used it often and it filled a gap between phone and laptop especially for travel. It had a great screen so I liked it for TV viewing, decent camera and also made reading electronic newspapers a pleasure. Do I need to replace with something as fancy as my old one was or are the 'cheap' ones around now just as good?
Might be worth contacting these lads Cobham before you decide to replace it.

https://www.maxburns.ie/repair/samsung- ... pairs.html

They are located up in Belgard Road in Tallaght. Know a few people that have used them for laptops and phone repairs.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Check out the 10" Lenovo duet Chromebook tab . I use it as my in-between travel device much like you describe. Chromebooks can install Android apps so you get the best of both worlds. It has a detachable keyboard to turn it into a tablet

Lenovo IdeaPad Duet Chromebook 10.1 Inch FHD 2-in-1 Laptop - (MediaTek P60T, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB eMCP, Chrome OS)
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Thanks for replies both of you. I need to travel again on Tuesday so might go for something cheap, a chance to replace some of photos when away. I am near Sandyford and I see a couple of tech repair places there and one used by Samsung in warranty ( which mine is not). Youtube tells me that it is a tricky repair to carry out..... so I dont have much hope of the smaller repair outlets. Yes we have had Lenova, will check out. Nice to have keyboard add on tho do have a wirefree keyboard for old tablet ... tended not to bother with it.
JONJO THE MISER

Post by JONJO THE MISER »

I have a Amazon fire hd, costs only 80 EUR and is fantastic, you can jailbreak it easy to get android apps.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

USB ports are a pretty standard repair for a repair shop, they are opening tablets and phones every day
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Repair will be first on list, I imagine they will keep it for a week but need something from tuesday on... had an idea to get Amazon and post to other address! See how the prices stack up and even check airport shop as will be exiting EU :)
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

you can jailbreak it easy to get android apps.

I see it does not support Playstore.... how does 'jailbreak' work and has it a decent camera? or are they all good these days!
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

None of the Amazon tablets have decent cameras, they are budget devices heavily subsided by Amazon to get you using their products. To get the play store you'll have to side load and install Google play services and the play store

https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to ... re-tablet/
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

If you have a laptop or pc you can install Fire Toolbox and jail break Amazon tablets really easily. I did it on a 2014 HD7 and believe me, I'm no Tech wizard. Loads of tutorials around and for a bonus you can remove or disable a lot of the bloat.

Post by 490808 »

A recommendation from me for any of the HUAWEI MediaPads.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Just an update, I left damaged tablet in to a repair place and a quote of 50 euro and part to be sourced abroad so at least a week. I got a cheap Samsung tablet (7 lite) which seems to have a faulty camera... main reason for getting it! Am thinking of digging out old digital camera ... if I can remember how it works! :) otherwise I will have camera on phone. Just annoyed as have a lot to do setting up items for auction/sale/donation and want to have record and the job over half done on older tablet.

Post by 765489 »

Cobham wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:24 pm Just an update, I left damaged tablet in to a repair place and a quote of 50 euro and part to be sourced abroad so at least a week. I got a cheap Samsung tablet (7 lite) which seems to have a faulty camera... main reason for getting it! Am thinking of digging out old digital camera ... if I can remember how it works! :) otherwise I will have camera on phone. Just annoyed as have a lot to do setting up items for auction/sale/donation and want to have record and the job over half done on older tablet.
Did you try this on the 7 lite Cobham?

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/trou ... G01001329/
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Thanks.... I looked in settings of camera and tablet and could not see any relevant one... no did not reset. The pictures are coming up as negatives...like old negative film of old. It is packed back into its box now and I will return it next week and maybe get a refund. I am away over a week so not much use to me and hopefully old tablet will be fixed on my return. The new tablet is an odd shape more rectangular and without a decent cover is awkward. I would have ordered new cover online and have delivered to UK address. I will take some time to research a replacement for my old one for when it gives trouble again. At least I had backed up photos to Dropbox. I wonder whether to bother to get one of those magnetic add on's to avoid damage to the cable charge point in future?
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

Just to follow up on this.... yes there was some setting to show 'negative' images that I must had inadvertently selected! Apparently it is an option favoured by some with certain eyesight conditions.... news to me. So all well with tablet but now have had my old one repaired. But I am stuck with new tablet as I had opened the box. ;)