Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

VOIP question?

VOIP question?

Post by 490808 »

So here's a strange one. I've just plugged in a random VOIP phone (old Yealink T20p) and I can make calls with it.

Now this is strange because the second hand phone hasn't been used for at least 4 years probably much longer yet displays what seems to be a valid phone number on the display.

Before resetting it I'd like to find more out about the config. Is there any way I can look the number up and see whose is supplying the service. I don't have the admin password for the web interface or the phone.

Re: VOIP question?

Post by 490808 »

OK think I've solved it?

Seems I put some config on this particular phone, because one of the passwords I use for setting things up got me in. Although none of these phones bought in a Charity shop years ago worked when I first tried them. I didn't have a particularly good internet connection at the time so chucked them in a bag and dumped them in the garage. Today a wet windy day with nothing to do and a much better internet connection I thought I'd give them a try. Now I've got to investigate who freespeech.ie are? I'm still stuck as I've no account details (other than the number@freespeech.ie) and not so much as an email to suggest what email address I used to open an account?

Post by 765489 »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 am OK think I've solved it?

Seems I put some config on this particular phone, because one of the passwords I use for setting things up got me in. Although none of these phones bought in a Charity shop years ago worked when I first tried them. I didn't have a particularly good internet connection at the time so chucked them in a bag and dumped them in the garage. Today a wet windy day with nothing to do and a much better internet connection I thought I'd give them a try. Now I've got to investigate who freespeech.ie are? I'm still stuck as I've no account details (other than the number@freespeech.ie) and not so much as an email to suggest what email address I used to open an account?
Was looking at freespeech.ie there CO. Looks like you can make free voip to voip calls for free, not sure about landline / mobile to voip calls, but voip to landlines / mobiles will have a call charge according to what I'm looking at.

Is it a 076 number ? Can you make incoming calls to the number ?

Post by 490808 »

Hope I can be excused for forgetting all about it. The account was set up in May 2015 :oops:

Its a free account and I still have the euro free credit you get when you sign up. You can't make incoming calls to it but you can of course pay to get a local area number with a local area prefix just like Eir have for their landlines.

I'm being cheap and now sort of remember why I abandoned them nearly 7 years ago. At the time I'd been looking at an Asterix server for someone and was using some Cisco phones for testing with some other accounts. Then just after I picked up these Yarlink phones for a fiver and was going to set up my own little home system. While perfectly possible there were loads of things that put me off nearly 7 years ago and it turns out nothing has changed. I just needed to dig one out and play around for a bit to jog my memory. Even found the account details when I remembered an old email account I set up when testing the Asterix server 7 years ago and haven't used since.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:25 pm Hope I can be excused for forgetting all about it. The account was set up in May 2015 :oops:
:lol: In my search for a washing machine, I went to place a "nearly-not-quite" order on a particular site (Rakuten) to see whether or not I could use a discount coupon from another site. They asked me for my e-mail address, and when I gave it they told me that that address was already registered. Huh? I knew I'd never (ever) ordered from them before, but "forgot password" got me through to what was, apparently, my account ... and proudly presented me with a list of my most recent transactions - from 2016! :shock:

But no, my memory was reliable (again, yay!): I had never ordered from Rakuten before - they'd bought out/taken over a completely different site and faithfully migrated all my data to their own platform.
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

The Continental Op wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:40 am OK think I've solved it?

I, and some friends, got several of those 076 numbers back then - free of course - but Comreg have eliminated that option these days, but I did check making a call to one of them and it is still valid for receiving calls (or was a couple of weeks ago).
I have never used a VOIP phone, as I have had routers with VOIP account facilities, so it was just a matter of setting up the account in the router.