Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Relatively simple tech that you'd hate to go without?

Norman Breaks

Relatively simple tech that you'd hate to go without?

Post by Norman Breaks »

Got out of my car and started walking away to get into work because it's so cold out. Reached in my pocket, pulled the fob out and locked it with one click. Took a second to think how much I appreciate that basic little fob. Would not like to go back to not having a fob, like my first car.
What about you?

Re: Relatively simple tech that you'd hate to go without?

Post by 490808 »

My key fob is broken, handy but I can still manage to turn a key in a lock. Would swap it any day for a sunroof.

I'd go with something far more basic - a box of matches or even a lighter. Ty lighting a fire without. Yeah I know it can be done as I've used a magnifying glass, fire steel, flint and steel, fire bow, and even a fire syringe but none are as convenient as a cheap bic lighter. But will admit free people need to regularly light a fire these days.

Post by 490808 »

If you rapidly compress air you can get fire, but not the simplest way to light the stove.

Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Clocks?
'no more blah blah blah'
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I wouldn't have thought of it myself, but I'd agree that not having the humble match is something that would cause no end of bother.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I was in the scouts and although matches are very handy, there are substitutes. So they would not be on the list for me. Clocks is a good one.
Clothes hangers give me no end of grief and I wish there was a better alternative.

Can opener.
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

With more and more cans now of the ring pull variety the can opener may have had its day. I had an electric one years ago - long gone but the manual one lives on. :mrgreen:
'no more blah blah blah'
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

Is this technology? Another endangered species but with a greater long term chance of survival than the humble can opener.

'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

We've just been through a can opener saga in our house. The old can opener just wasn't up to it and didn't work like it once did so I bought a really nice fancy looking one and my wife hates it not only that it really is rubbish.

I still have, like and use the old British army compo can opener

and can open a can as fast as a conventional canopener. So I opened any cans for a while until my wife bought a new can opener. I won't comment further other than to say its no better than the crappy one I bought :D

Why do we still need a can opener? The answer is tinned tomatoes for some reason the cans my wife buys don't have a ring pull?
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:21 pm We've just been through a can opener saga in our house. The old can opener just wasn't up to it and didn't work like it once did so I bought a really nice fancy looking one and my wife hates it not only that it really is rubbish.

I still have, like and use the old British army compo can opener

and can open a can as fast as a conventional canopener. So I opened any cans for a while until my wife bought a new can opener. I won't comment further other than to say its no better than the crappy one I bought :D

Why do we still need a can opener? The answer is tinned tomatoes for some reason the cans my wife buys don't have a ring pull?

A friend got me a supply of those British army can openers years ago - they shouldn't work but they are excellent once you get used to them and great for reduced weight in your rucksack when hiking.
'no more blah blah blah'

Post by 490808 »

You can still buy compo type can openers.

This is a random google for them https://www.rei.com/product/696009/cogh ... ckage-of-2 and the price seems a bit high. I've bought them new for about 50p each in the UK.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

Most Swiss Army knives have basic can openers. I think a lot of those Leathermann style tools have them too. It's pretty basic machining to thin plate metal to make them. I've seen credit card shape tools with them too.

Buttons and zippers.

Post by 490808 »

The SAK can opener works and is reliable (works with cold hands/thick gloves) but for speed or easy of use is no way as good as the compo can opener or the american versions (P38 and P51). Leathermans have more of a traditional can opener which is between the two.

The more modern american P51 can opener is perhaps the best of the lot as it is just a bit larger and has a longer cutting stroke.

There is also the infamous FRED Fcuking Rediculus Eating Device (Proper name the Field Ration Eating Device) issued with rations by the Australian and New Zealand Militaries which incorporates a spoon. Never used one but would love to get my hands on one.

Post by 765489 »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:15 pm Is this technology? Another endangered species but with a greater long term chance of survival than the humble can opener.

This is probably the only little bit of technology I have that's still in use after three generations of bottle openering :)
20220216_185734.jpg

Post by 490808 »

The bottle open that states the obvious?

CROWN CORK

Might mean it dates to around 1900?

Post by 765489 »

1924 CO. Belonged to my grandfather.
Banshee Bones

Post by Banshee Bones »

Thermos flask, use one all the time
quodec

Post by quodec »

My 20 year old digital alarm clock on my bedside locker! I've set it for the radio to go on practically every day in all that time and it has never failed. I know there's an alarm on my iphone but I'm just so used to it, I hardly bother with the phone. Any time we're away from home (hotels etc) it is the one thing I really miss!!!!
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Post by Del.Monte »

quodec wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:45 pm My 20 year old digital alarm clock on my bedside locker! I've set it for the radio to go on practically every day in all that time and it has never failed. I know there's an alarm on my iphone but I'm just so used to it, I hardly bother with the phone. Any time we're away from home (hotels etc) it is the one thing I really miss!!!!
I don't know how I managed all those years when I was travelling, staying overnight in hotels etc. and having to get up at ungodly hours, and having the stress of making sure to pack the fold-up travel clock. Now I have the phone set for sleep an hour after I hit the hay and set to wake me if I need to get up early. I don't miss the travel clock or digital clock radio - or the stress.

I had one of my sons install a snippet from "Das Boot" as my alarm but got him to take it off when it became to much to take! Only the dead could sleep through it.

'no more blah blah blah'
quodec

Post by quodec »

Del.Monte wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:06 pm I don't know how I managed all those years when I was travelling, staying overnight in hotels etc. and having to get up at ungodly hours, and having the stress of making sure to pack the fold-up travel clock. Now I have the phone set for sleep an hour after I hit the hay and set to wake me if I need to get up early. I don't miss the travel clock or digital clock radio - or the stress.

I had one of my sons install a snippet from "Das Boot" as my alarm but got him to take it off when it became to much to take! Only the dead could sleep through it.

You're obviously a better man than I, Del. But that's me, Luddite to the core!!!!!