Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

"Vintage" 1990s PCs

BrianD3

"Vintage" 1990s PCs

Post by BrianD3 »

What have you got? Is this stuff still junk or becoming collectable, useful for retro gaming or for use with other obsolete equipment (e.g. something that requires a serial interface or an ISA card) Old enough to be retro but new enough to be somewhat useful?

I notice what seem like absurd asking prices for 90s stuff. Like 200 quid for a generic Pentium box.

I do like the idea of owning an original 1990s PC with a matching monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have my first pc, a Gateway 2000 P II, the monitor died years ago but I still hoarded it. I have other stuff that I rescued from skips etc - 286, two 386s, Dell Pentium 166, 2 x Compaq Deskpro P III 500. 21, 17 and 14 inch CRTs. A3 SCSI scanner. All of this stuff worked in my ownership but the 286 and 386s are dead now (capacitors and Hdd failure) I also have a 486 laptop with no hdd or battery a faulty keyboard and faulty floppy drive. Lots of bits and pieces, ISA cards, 30 pin memory modules saved from a bunch of scrapped 486s.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Re: "Vintage" 1990s PCs

Post by JayZeus »

No good reason to keep any of that. Nostalgia is one thing, but keeping obsolete and non-functional kit for the sake of it is part of the problem we're facing worldwide.

Recycle it with an e-waste processor. It's the responsible thing to do.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

JayZeus wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:01 pm No good reason to keep any of that. Nostalgia is one thing, but keeping obsolete and non-functional kit for the sake of it is part of the problem we're facing worldwide.

Recycle it with an e-waste processor. It's the responsible thing to do.
Problem we are facing worlwide is we fuk everything into a landfill, when it stops working. We dont fix it, and we are ever on the bandwagon of wanting new stuff before our old stuff is done. We are a wasteful species on our resources. Its no wonder that 90% of the silver that we mined, has been relegated to landfills, so much so that its now economically feasible to mine our own landfills for the lost resource.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Agreed.

But 486 laptops, 286's and 386's needing HDD's and caps are beyond their useful service life.

So rather than consuming more resources to repair them, when they have no useful purpose, the better course of action is to make the call and have them recycled correctly.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Doesn't take much resources to fix an old PC just know how. If someone is still using it. Then its still useful.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

That all depends on just how old, and just how easily you can get the parts, to be fair. And for cap replacements on boards, you'd need a decent temp controlled soldering station to do it properly, desoldering pen, wick, solvent flux etc.

Try getting your hands on an IDE HDD with 80mb capacity.

Try getting your hands on a proprietary form factor PSU (remember, old stuff with big name brands often used their own custom PSU's, board formats, etc.

The point is, when it's broken, fix it if it can still be useful in service.

When it's broken, could in theory be fixed, but is past it's useful service life, recycle it responsibly. Don't blindly hand it to someone else - make sure it goes to a recycler who will put gold and silver plating back into useful circulation, along with platinum, nickel and all the other materials which are used for components and electronic assemblies.

I started with a mono-chrome 8 bit VGA equipped 12Mhz 286, with 1024k ram and an 80mb upgraded HDD, 2.5" FDD and a matching Philips 14" VGA display. Went through the whole spectrum (...had one of those too) of PC's from all the big brands and a few Irish system builders (Romak in Dundalk kept that industry moving for a while) and have a big soft spot for the PC's of the 90's and early 2000's.

But they're not useful now. An Intel NUC or a Raspberry Pi will do whatever you'd find to make some sort of use of an early PC, while consuming less power, generating less heat and reserving less precious metals etc than an ancient PC will.

Everything runs out of time. Those PC's, at least the ones with faulty components have.

Keep them if you want - we all do things that make no sense. But the sensible move is to recycle them now and play a part in a movement we all NEED to get involved in eventually.
Last edited by JayZeus on Thu May 26, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

If the point is retro computing especially for nostalgia then it's entirely missing the point doing it on an emulator. Also buying something new to replace something you can fix.

You can generally replace most of the parts.
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

GrowlerG wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:09 pm If the point is retro computing especially for nostalgia then it's entirely missing the point doing it on an emulator. Also buying something new to replace something you can fix.

You can generally replace most of the parts.
That's an oversimplification. I spent years, from the mid 90's through to about 2012 in fact, working with everything from VAX terminals and Wyse thin client devices, AS/400 IBM's and VMS mini's, PC's from Acer, Dells, Digital, ICL, Fujitsu, Compaq, GW2K and a host of other manufacturers and system builders, then servers, SCSI JBOD's, FC SAN's, and all the backplanes, PSU's, I/O modules, Switches and HBA's and everything else in between. I've replaced more board components with a Weller station than I can fathom during that time, swapped thousands of CPU's, HDD's and every type of expansion board from ISA upwards, running every kind of peripheral you could run via DOS or a Windows/Linux OS.

It's generally possible to replace or repair anything if you have the tools, parts, knowledge and skill to do so.

But just because you might want to, doesn't mean everything else is practically available, and that's where the enthusiast meets the hard stop of reality.

My point is, you can in theory fix it, but what's the actual cost in doing so and before you commit to it, consider if recycling is the appropriate and responsible course of action to take. Otherwise you consume more to repair something that's not useful, and sunk cost fallacy when combined with vanity/nostalgia will likely further extend the time the item in question sits gathering dust, before it eventually gets through recycling and back into the supply chain.

But yeah, sure, you can fix it.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

I think you are underestimating the level of obsession some people have. Theres a thriving online community of people into vintage computers.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

These are fair points, also I can't solder so if a cap in a PSU goes bang (which seems to have happened) I can't do anything with it except replace the PSU. I've run into difficulties trying to cobble together one working PC from the 286 and 386s due to different interfaces etc. Haven't looked at the 286 for a while, IIRC it needs a BIOS setup floppy and both floppy drives are flaky/faulty. it had worked perfectly for years after I rescued it from a skip

The Pentiums are more straightforward and most of them work.

I reckon I'd get a few quid for some of the CRT monitors but when you're a hoarder, it's not easy to sell, let alone recycle.

I gain pleasure from messing around with the PCs and have found practical benefit as some software I have needs Linux, DOS or older versions of windows. Virtual machines, DosBoxes etc. don't necessarily work too well. I've also gotten use out of the floppy drives although I'm aware that USB floppy drive are available for modern PCs.

PS I have no guilt about not yet recycling this stuff - much of it came out of or was destined for skips with general rubbish and would have ended up in landfill.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

BrianD3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:13 pm What have you got? Is this stuff still junk or becoming collectable, useful for retro gaming or for use with other obsolete equipment (e.g. something that requires a serial interface or an ISA card) Old enough to be retro but new enough to be somewhat useful?

I notice what seem like absurd asking prices for 90s stuff. Like 200 quid for a generic Pentium box.

I do like the idea of owning an original 1990s PC with a matching monitor, keyboard and mouse. I have my first pc, a Gateway 2000 P II, the monitor died years ago but I still hoarded it. I have other stuff that I rescued from skips etc - 286, two 386s, Dell Pentium 166, 2 x Compaq Deskpro P III 500. 21, 17 and 14 inch CRTs. A3 SCSI scanner. All of this stuff worked in my ownership but the 286 and 386s are dead now (capacitors and Hdd failure) I also have a 486 laptop with no hdd or battery a faulty keyboard and faulty floppy drive. Lots of bits and pieces, ISA cards, 30 pin memory modules saved from a bunch of scrapped 486s.
I've never kept mine. But I do follow some of the vintage computer groups retro forums and YouTubers. I'd be more into the Motorola 68k Mac's. But I don't have space or the time to collect them. There's a big Amiga community which is fascinating.

Oldest PC I still have in use is a 13yr old workstation, which one of the kids still uses. Even though we have newer computers they just like that one.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

BrianD3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:41 pm These are fair points, also I can't solder so if a cap in a PSU goes bang (which seems to have happened) I can't do anything with it except replace the PSU. I've run into difficulties trying to cobble together one working PC from the 286 and 386s due to different interfaces etc. Haven't looked at the 286 for a while, IIRC it needs a BIOS setup floppy and both floppy drives are flaky/faulty. it had worked perfectly for years after I rescued it from a skip

The Pentiums are more straightforward and most of them work.

I reckon I'd get a few quid for some of the CRT monitors but when you're a hoarder, it's not easy to sell, let alone recycle.

I gain pleasure from messing around with the PCs and have found practical benefit as some software I have needs Linux, DOS or older versions of windows. Virtual machines, DosBoxes etc. don't necessarily work too well. I've also gotten use out of the floppy drives although I'm aware that USB floppy drive are available for modern PCs.

PS I have no guilt about not yet recycling this stuff - much of it came out of or was destined for skips with general rubbish and would have ended up in landfill.
It's a hobby. Doesn't have to serve any purpose other than to enjoy doing it.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Yep, a harmless and cheap hobby with some potential practical benefits. I've helped people out e.g. copying files off their old PCs that don't have a CD burner or USB. Also I am the only person in my circle with a working floppy drive.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

The oldest machines Is the only one with a full speed bluray drive which can be handy. I do have slower USB powered one though if I was stuck.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

BrianD3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:18 am Yep, a harmless and cheap hobby with some potential practical benefits. I've helped people out e.g. copying files off their old PCs that don't have a CD burner or USB. Also I am the only person in my circle with a working floppy drive.
You keep finding them and fixing them, and using them. Society used to have this mindset in generations past, but are losing this aspect fast.
Used to be the thing where every household fixed its own clothes, shoes, tools ect. Not anymore, we throw it out the second it stopped working, instead of using hand/eye skils and give it a new lease of life. We run for the credit card to fix the problem instead of the tool box.

I fix everything I can, and have done for years.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Some stuff like Apple is designed to be unfixable.

Actually Brian some of that PC stuff also works in Mac's of the same period. RAM, SCSI.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

kadman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:20 am You keep finding them and fixing them, and using them. Society used to have this mindset in generations past, but are losing this aspect fast.
Used to be the thing where every household fixed its own clothes, shoes, tools ect. Not anymore, we throw it out the second it stopped working, instead of using hand/eye skils and give it a new lease of life. We run for the credit card to fix the problem instead of the tool box.

I fix everything I can, and have done for years.
My electronics repair skills are very limited and mainly consist of reseating connectors, cleaning etc. but at least I try. I come from an extremely impractical family, my father could do nothing. He would also get uptight about reliability once his car went over 2 years old. Might have been a valid view in the 1950s but not in recent decades.

My freshest car (Megane diesel) has 550 kms on it and there is still loads of life left it and I spend the money to maintain it which other people think is madness. They tell me I need to spend 40k on a new EV to save money and save the planet.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

The EV argument is not that simple.

The resources in building a new EV might be more than keeping the old diesel going. But in terms of air quality and pollution if you drive both for the next 10 years the EV will be far better. Especially in a city.

Money wise you'd have work out total costs including depreciation, fuel, Servicing, repairs over 10 yrs.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Pentium MMX 200 is not working, seems to be booting but no video output. I swapped a known good video card into a different PCI slot, no joy. This PC has an AT style keyboard connector , serial for the mouse and a Turbo button. I don't know if this means it is an AT form factor, I'll have a look and if the PSU is AT I might swap it into the 386 with the bad PSU.

The Pentium's case has a little display at the front that says "Hi" when switched on, I thought that this was some gimmick to greet the user then discovered it is for the Turbo button LOL.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Ah the "turbo" button, fond memories.

All those magazine with free apps and games on the floppy. (security nightmare these days)
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

Some interesting info on the XTIDE BIOS and getting more modern hard drives running on 286s and 386s.
https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=30008

My Pentium 200 with no video output seems to have a working PSU and it is an AT to my surprise. That might be useful for the 386 with the blown cap in its PSU. That 386 also has a bad HDD and the above link might come in handy for it.

The 286 has a working PSU (I think) but HDD is flaky and if I remember correctly is not an IDE drive. Also I need a setup floppy disk and the floppy drives are flaky and I'm not sure about the interfaces there either....LMAO.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

Have to say my interest starts at a 486dx. No lower. Anything earlier is very limited compatibility. Even for me.
BrianD3

Post by BrianD3 »

A 486dx Is still somewhat useful, Windows 95 runs easily on one and some newer lightweight Linux distros probably would too. Might be able to do some limited web browsing.

I also had Win 95 on a 386sx 25 with 4 Mb RAM. Did some college assignments on it in the late 90s .

286s are hardcore retro!
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

We had 386dx in college but the mac's of that era seemed so much cooler. I used to sneak into another department to use their Mac's. But I didn't really get interested or have access to my own computer until the 486 and Apple LCII.

Post by 765489 »

I used to run smoothwall firewalls with two nic cards in work. Worked great but was limited to 100mbit cards. Might be an option for a 486?