Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

When you had to replace your laptop and say goidbye

What failure have you given up on a laptop PC?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Battery going bad
29%
Hard Disk Failure
No votes
Bad Power Supply - happened with my Lenovo z500 PSU
14%
Damaged Screen
No votes
Bad touchpad and related buttons
No votes
Keyboard
No votes
Other failure
29%
Stopped using laptop because it was just too old
29%

Total votes: 7

When you had to replace your laptop and say goidbye

Post by 95438756 »

What made you part company with your work tool?
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Re: When you had to replace your laptop and say goidbye

Post by CelticRambler »

Windows 10. :evil:

No, seriously! My Windows 7 machine suffers from everything on that list apart from the hard disk failure, and I still prefer it to the supposedly superior Win 10 machine. I've had it 12 years, and it runs day and night without complaint, and I'll put up with the hassle of having to take a proper monitor with me when I go away rather than suffer the multiple freezes, crashes and unpredictable sulkiness of the W10 device (it's also a question of the software - so many of the versions optimised for W10 are "new, improved, enhanced user experience packed with additional features" crapware that isn't half as good as the older versions).
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I'm going to try out Chrome OS Flex on an old laptop here to see how it works out

Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Generally it's been battery life coupled with updates swallowing resources that forced me in the past to replace laptops every 4/5 years or so. My solution now is to use a desktop rig that I upgrade components and it keeps chugging along.

Post by 95438756 »

forgot to mention my 2019 Asus Rog Strix: Battery is shot due to bad firmware. And Asus knows about it. And don't care. Using it always plugged in.
Ah well, playing no serious games at the moment, have bigger fish to fry!
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

The last time I got rid of a laptop was when I changed to a MacBook. 2012. Still works perfectly well. ROCK SOLID STABLE. I use it as a media centre hub.

Currently running a 2020 16” MacBook Pro, and I absolutely love it. Great hardware and ROCK SOLID STABLE operating system for work use.

Have a 2022 MacBook Air for personal/home use. Nice machine too. Fast, silent, ROCK SOLID STABLE.

I have replaced every Windows machine at home and at my workplace since then. Whatever about the varied hardware experiences and performance, Windows was an absolute pain in the hole. A dirtbox regarding stability. Totally disruptive. Never quite realised how much I hated it until MacOS entered my life. I’ll never waste another minute of my life with a Windows machine.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

TBH If you spent as much on a PC as you did on the MacBook Pro it would run Windows beautifully with little issue
JayZeus
Verified Username

Post by JayZeus »

Little issue? It's Windows. There's always an issue, always.

I did spend MUCH more than the price of a good MBP on Wintel machines. Several times. €3300+ on a Dell M series workstation. €4000+ on a fully built out Dell workstation. €2900 on a Lenovo T Series, fully loaded.

The lowest common denominator, Windows, was what absolutely f'n ruined the experience of having very nice hardware.

And that's at the end of a nearly 20 year Windows user journey. There WERE some superb Window OS versions throughout the years. Really good operating systems. Post Windows 7, not worth the aggravation and unless you have an application dependency that requires Windows, truly not worth the effort.

But some folks like Windows OS, and Android phones. I don't. Decades working in IT have completely worn out any patience I had once upon a time for this stuff not just working. Every. Single. Time. Without. Issue.

EDIT: I came from the VAX/VMS world, through Unix, Novell, Linux and Windows server OS, NT3.51, NT4, XP and on up. Windows 7 Ultimate was the last desktop OS from Microsoft that worked anywhere close to reliably, but brought with it ENDLESS FECKIN' HOTFIXES and updates, constantly pestered to apply them and never as seamlessly and rapidly as MacOS. XP Service Packs and Hotfixes could at least be handled via SMS and policies to happen without user interaction at a time when it wouldn't piss people off, myself included.
Cobham

Post by Cobham »

My 'other issue' was overheating as the fan went on old HP machine and could not be sorted DIY. I am delighted with my present laptop, Microsoft, neat slim design and beautiful keyboard as well as lovely screen for viewing video/TV /photos.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

I blame this thread. :(

Windows 10 has seemingly killed my "new" laptop. It's been hassling me for a week to install yet another update, threatening to do it "outside acive hours" - as if I'd leave a computer inactive for predictable hours. :roll: But while I was out shopping and dancing yester afternoo & evening, the feckin OS decided to do the update anyway ... and now the laptop won't restart properly. :evil:

As usual, the ancient Win7 machine has had to step in and provide emergency services.

The Win10's place on the worktop has now been taken by an iMac.
jmcc
Verified Username

Post by jmcc »

Think that I still have a working Amstrad NC1000 notebook around somewhere. Used to get 15 hours or so from four AA batteries. It couldn't run MS-DOS or Windows. Have had a few laptops since then but the main problems were batteries, fans and harddrives. There was one laptop I remember where the power connection was designed by an idiot and caused failures because of the stresses the power lead put on the connection. Basically, the power socket used to detatch from the laptop's PCB. Apart from that, the laptop was rock solid.

As for Microsoft's idea to store a backup copy of the Windows 10 OS on laptops with a 32GB SSD, that really confirmed that the stupid decision in Windows 8 to remove the start button and replace the interface with a click and drool display was not an isolated case of cluelessness.

Regards...jmcc