Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

PC Brands you are not going back to

PC Brands you are not going back to

Post by 95438756 »

Right now, I have a 8 year old i5 8 GB Asus X550c and a 3 year old i7 Asus Rog Strix

Right from the word go, the Strix had difficulty reading SD cards, any variety and will only work with 1 in 3 sd cards. Oh, and it's built in webcam is in the wrong place, under the screen. This gaming laptop has the battery drain problem well documented on this machine. Solution from Asus: Get a new battery fitted at your own expense.

My i5 machine: It has only 2 usb sockets. The Logitech Brio webcam which has minimum recommended spec of usb 3, will only work in the lower spec slot on my x 550. The other issue being that the same webcam will only display up to HD definition on this laptop while on my Dell i3, I can get full 4k definition. No problem with reading sd cards, and it also has a DVD drive, while the Strix has no DVD drive at all.

What PC brand are you now avoiding?
Hugh_Bigazz

Re: PC Brands you are not going back to

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Dell, their quality had gone to shit these days

Post by 765489 »

The Dell PC I purchased a year ago is as slow as a wet dream. Should have gone with SSD drives rather than SATA. I had a plan to put Linux as a virtual PC in Windows but thinking now might install Linux and install Windows as a virtual PC instead.

I used to like Toshiba laptops, bullet proof but the last one I had in work I didn't like it.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I'm talking about the build quality, not the components, the components are all the same no matter which brand you buy, depends on which options you select. Dell now use cheaper plastics, the whole casing on laptops and desktops flimsy and will break over time. Also the airflow is poor. I looked at their Alienware gaming PC range but in the end went with a Lenovo (at the time I got a decent PC for little more than a graphics card so opted not to build myself)
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I have a Dell workstation what's at least 5 years old chugging along nicely. I did upgrade the RAM to 32GB and that's it. Photoshop chuggs along no problems.

However, some of the newer Dell stuff isn't as well built and the customisation that Dell was known for is gone. I've newer Dell laptops that couldn't cope with light work (MS Office, browsing, etc).