Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

EU lawmakers impose single charger for all smartphones

Hugh_Bigazz

EU lawmakers impose single charger for all smartphones

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

And it also standardises that fast charging should be via USB-PD, instead of propietary stuff like Warp and Qualcomm QuickCharge

Proper order, a good day for consumers

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-10-eu- ... hones.html
Del.Monte
Verified Username

Re: EU lawmakers impose single charger for all smartphones

Post by Del.Monte »

Long, long overdue and should eliminate a massive amount of electrical waste.
'no more blah blah blah'
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:54 pm Long, long overdue and should eliminate a massive amount of electrical waste.
It's mostly been Apple who have refused to standardise, most android used micro USB and have now moved to USB-C only the fast charging standards differ
knownunknown

Post by knownunknown »

Del.Monte wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:54 pm Long, long overdue and should eliminate a massive amount of electrical waste.
Planned obsolescence is great for the profit margins though.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

I'm fully expecting Apple drop the charging port and move to wireless charging only to avoid this!
marhay70

Post by marhay70 »

I seem to remember something like this before, wasn't Micro USB supposed to be the standard at one time? Of course Apple wouldn't play ball then and I fully expect they won't this time either.
Hugh_Bigazz

Post by Hugh_Bigazz »

marhay70 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:11 pm I seem to remember something like this before, wasn't Micro USB supposed to be the standard at one time? Of course Apple wouldn't play ball then and I fully expect they won't this time either.
It was voluntary, micro USB and then USB-C. Most of the world's phone manufacturers signed up except Apple. They used every excuse to avoid it, claiming the USB-C port wasn't fast enough, couldn't deliver enough power and even shipping with an adapter. This one is regulation and it's because of Apple!
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Well, from looking in the back of the press in the "may be useful some day" there's a crap load of chargers of various voltages from 1.5V to 12V, different pin diameters, pin positive or negative. I've not gone into the USB types yet with mini, micro etc.

As others have said, I can see Apple saying no physical charging port, only wireless charging and the lightening port is for data transfer only.....

Edit, I also found some Zip disks. Now that's a blast from the past!
Mirabeau

Post by Mirabeau »

EU: Let's have a single charger for all smartphones.

Also EU: Let's mismanage the geopolitical situation and create an energy crisis.