Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Telegram Channel

mmercedes84

Telegram Channel

Post by mmercedes84 »

I've seen other forums set up telegram channels now where a user with over X amount of posts can request to join the channel. Allows instant direct messaging and also telegram keeps the anonymity as no longer needs a phone number.
Also keeps the contacts if sites die off.

There was a worry it distracts from the site , but seems to have enhanced it in some instances where banter on the telegram channel leads to a thread on the forum.
Was wondering thoughts on this ?
Hairy-Joe

Re: Telegram Channel

Post by Hairy-Joe »

Whenever I hear or see telegram mentioned, I think of "Candygram for Mongo!" for some reason

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

mmercedes84 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:57 pm I've seen other forums set up telegram channels now where a user with over X amount of posts can request to join the channel. Allows instant direct messaging and also telegram keeps the anonymity as no longer needs a phone number.
Also keeps the contacts if sites die off.

There was a worry it distracts from the site , but seems to have enhanced it in some instances where banter on the telegram channel leads to a thread on the forum.
Was wondering thoughts on this ?
This is just a modern alternative to irc channels. I hung out on the Planks irc channel as well as some other gaming ones many years ago. Some sites use WhatsApp and Discord. Reddit even has their own version of instant messaging chat group
mmercedes84

Post by mmercedes84 »

Yes I quite actually like discord. Reddit I mostly avoid.
Although the infinity andorid app makes it some what usable.