Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Price savings with VPN. Really?

CelticRambler
Verified Username

Price savings with VPN. Really?

Post by CelticRambler »

Several of the YouTubers I watch are product-placing VPNs these days, and all of them are touting a supposed advantage of being able to benefit from lower prices on stuff being sold in other jurisdictions. Is this really real? Or is it primarily a US thing where you can get different state-to-state VAT rates?

In all my years on the internet, the only time I've ever come across a significant difference in price for anything has been in respect of paid-for software (specifically the Serif/Affinity suite of products, where the price was 25-currency-symbol-of-your-choice). Other than that, any geo-localised price reduction was tied in one way or another to a physical location, like a delivery address.

Anyone know of any useful real-world savings to be had that would justify using a VPN at the time of purchase?

Re: Price savings with VPN. Really?

Post by 95438756 »

No saving with vpn.
All the palava about VPN is like the perception of Apple and Asus
Some YouTubers German and north American think Asus is fantastic and couldn't do any wrong.

I believe it boils down to the amount of money companies like apple are prepared to pay in the propagation of the "reality distortion field" that is the advertising industry at the end of the day
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I got a YouTube premium family account (6 users, no ads on YouTube and YouTube music) for €1.50 per month by signing up in Argentina. It's now increased to €3.50 which is still an absolute steal
Verified Username

Post by 8760976543 »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:27 pm I got a YouTube premium family account (6 users, no ads on YouTube and YouTube music) for €1.50 per month by signing up in Argentina. It's now increased to €3.50 which is still an absolute steal
I find YouTube Revanced and PiHole does the same job for me with out having to subscribe to anything..
Although I do have a Spotify account.
CelticRambler
Verified Username

Post by CelticRambler »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:27 pm ... no ads on YouTube ...
:? I don't ever see/get ads on YouTube, apart from the in-video sponsorship/product placement ones that are impossible to filter.

But yeah, I remember a thread on the Other Forum talking about getting Netflix subscriptions at a reduced rate signing up as a pseudo-Mexican and paying with Revolut. Again, not much of a saving, when I can see all that's worth watching on Netflix with a once-a-year 30-day free trial.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Elwood_Blues wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 2:18 pm I find YouTube Revanced and PiHole does the same job for me with out having to subscribe to anything..
Although I do have a Spotify account.
This works on every device we use (this is 6 of us for €3.50 :D) and when out and about, holidaying, travelling for work etc and we all get Youtube Music on all our devices. No comparison.