Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

no PIN codes for phones anymore??

Enoch Von Clausewitz

no PIN codes for phones anymore??

Post by Enoch Von Clausewitz »

hi,

aint got a new phone in a long time, but I got one yesterday

a Nokia 6310 - works fine

used to be when a new phone was got, there was a little card or something with PIN , PUK codes / numbers on it..

.... brought phone and box home - there was no such card :(

rang them up (King Communications) and asked them , and they stated that (unless I misheard) "they don't come with PIN numbers"

in order to attempt to lock the screen, I tried going into "security settings" to enter the 'default' (?) codes, or what the interweb lead me to believe were the 'default' codes.. tried 12345 & 11111 (apparently it's 5 numbers) both, but no joy, and now only one go left...

.... phone still works, but have only one attempt left to try figure out how to lock me phone :cry:

also, on the screen, it states "No SIM card" , even tho there's one in it , but that might correspond to slot no. 1 (which shows as grey on the screen) . No. 2 shows up as white, so am guessing the SIM card's in that slot.. Think there's space in phone for two SIM cards

either way, I've no way of locking my phone

any help?

am at a complete loss here

ta :)
"when illusion spin her nette, i'm never where i wanna be"

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
quodec

Re: no PIN codes for phones anymore??

Post by quodec »

Is this clip any good to you?

Enoch Von Clausewitz

quodec wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:07 pm Is this clip any good to you?

thanks for that quodec

no probs with SIM card insertion , and not too pushed about having one of them empty...

just need that PIN number (if it exists) to lock phone

maybe SIM's in wrong slot for to use the "12345" number

am not gonna try fiddling around again , as only one go left

think I'll go into Vodafone shop tomorrow and ask them there

:)

'Cardmarker , CrossDresser , Awarenesss Raiser & Freelance Disabuser' <all rights reserved>
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

The PIN/PUK would come with the SIM not the phone? Did you change SIM?
Enoch Von Clausewitz

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:39 pm The PIN/PUK would come with the SIM not the phone? Did you change SIM?
nope , and ta for replying

got the sim and number that come with the phone - chap in store done all the installing, etc,,

assumed there'd be a PIN , but didn't ask

I know no pin is required as I can turn off phone and turn it back on again with no problems

am confused :?

surely there has to be a way to lock/unlock phone is what my understanding is.... as far as the PUK no. goes , and there not being one of them , I assumed this to be an 'extra' or something they've (mobile providers), perhaps, done away with

but no PIN no.

ETA : the 'housing' what the sim come in was left discarded afaic tell - would they (PIN / PUK codes) have possibly been printed on same ?

ta

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

I'm confused, is it a new SIM or are you using an existing SIM?
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Okay, go back to them. They binned the SIM codes as most people don't use them any more, most use patterns and biometrics. They'll have to port your number to a new SIM
Enoch Von Clausewitz

okay , thanks folks :)

it's a brand new sim , plus brand new phone number and brand new phone

I don't know anything of either patterns or biometrics ?? presume these are for i-phones and androids... mine is neither - has buttons on it :lol:

am feeling a bigger idiot now than y'day evening :D

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Pattern is for touchscreens it's easier than numeric PIN but most modern phones have a fingerprint scanner or use facial recognition
Enoch Von Clausewitz

so they just throw away the sim codes then ??

without even asking ???

seems strange form to me :?

phone isn't a touchscreen one , so how they might suppose I'd be using patterns or whatever on it, is a mystery to me

:lesigh:

thanks for all replies folks

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Yeah it most likely is years since any of their customers needed them as most use modern smartphones. Even my Dad in his 70s has a basic smartphone, get with the times 😂. He can now read articles and watch videos and thinks it's great
Seanybiker

Post by Seanybiker »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:52 pm Yeah it most likely is years since any of their customers needed them as most use modern smartphones. Even my Dad in his 70s has a basic smartphone, get with the times 😂. He can now read articles and watch videos and thinks it's great
My mother only lately figured out how to watch videos on her phone. She is addicted to some Kaka the monkey . She be almost pissing herself laughing at the fecker.
Enoch Von Clausewitz

Went into shoppe earlier

got sorted eventually (at least I hope so :D )

try to mekk long story short, so will ~bullet point this :D

# went into shop - told them my situation: "No PIN no." (at home had already tried the 'default' (or what I thought they were/would be, 12345 / 11111 No's , which didn't work) - so only one 'go' left

# chap there told me it was 0000 and to go into settings and do it myself

#did that, and it 'worked' , or so I thought....

....#turned phone off and back on again.... didn't require a PIN No. to 'open' phone upon having turned it on

# told the chap this , and he asked for phone to do so himself this time... don't know what it was that he did or which 'settings' he went into, but I turned phone off and on again, and this time I was obliged to enter the PIN - so all seemed good at this point....

...# at one stage was given a piece of paper as well in there with the '0000' No. and the PUK code (which I asked for) also.....

....#thought I was sorted, so left the shop

ACT TWO

#tried 'changing' PIN No. on way home, but no joy.. three goes and then asked for PUK number.. each time I entered the 0000 first and then my 'new' PIN , which , upon confirming, well, it didn't work ! :cry: pretty sure I tried three times with no joy

#so all goes/attempts at entering PIN gone (PUK number was asked for then, I think, but wasn't going near that - not making a bad situation worse I figured) , I ventured back to shop... don't know why it didn't work; and, as well as that, also, apparently there's a *'sim' lock code , and a *separate (presumably??) one for the phone itself, or so I thought one of the two chaps said to me
.... *who knew about these two separate codes??? not me anyhow

#give phone + sheet of paper, which I was given earlier (with pin/puk on it) to lad behind counter, and he solves it (up to a point)

#tried again (to change my pin from the new one entered) .... apparently the PUK no. is required to change the PIN - faarrkk me !! this wasn't the case the last time a got a similar (non touchscreen phone) a few years ago

# just *about got sorted in the end - I'd say he was close to calling the guards :( .. *on account of me not wanting to leave shop until i was certain I could put my own pin on it, well i was staying in the shop

# similar (change of PIN complicated as fook rigamarole) happened prior to getting sorted - i think i tried to change pin and it wouldn't work the first go - and told the bloke there , and that's when he told me to, "go on , get out" / half laughing-sarcastic - don't know how, but managed to work on the *second attempt so I left.. * this would be the second 'second' attempt today all told :lol:

# also, in the several times throughout the whole ordeal, and, at one stage after turning the phone off, it wouldn't turn back on (apparently it takes a while ;) ) , so bloke asked is it the battery, and i reply, "i don't think so" , so i hand over phone , and he gets it turned on; didn't see what he done, but i asked him, and he said he took out battery and put it back... okay :?

could go into the ins and outs and the toing / froing , and rants various, but it would take too long.... some of the chronology in me story might be off a tad - hard to remember exactly the order things happened...

anyhow, fukk Vodafone.. if ya want an old school dog and bone, well, unless ya couldn't give a fk about locking it, just don't bother.... the information is unavailable to the mortal man , ie someone who knows fekk all about them...

.... at one stage one of the blokes (there was two there) says to me, "people 'do it themselves' " when I asked him how it's possible to just be able to turn my phone off and to have the security of a PIN number being required when phone is turned back on :? "do it themselves!!" - HOW? , is what I'd like to know - it seems pretty complicated to me, but that's me..

and, ironically (vis a vis ye underlined lines above) , one of the likely reasons why the bloke was getting more annoyed / exasperated , and probably bolstered his righteousness (not saying he was 'wrong' , as , well , the phone don't come with a PIN - it don't need a PIN to work , so that's not on him.. i don't / didn't like it , but i was the annoying customer and he had 'right' on his side) in telling me to leave, was the fact there was another customer there....

.... and what did he want?? oh yeah, the farkin luddite :D , he wanted his balance checked :lol:

one more thing, FCUK VODAFONE and all who sail in them :evil:

hope this story makes sense.... all told there were (in the second -of today's- shop visits anyway) four "principals" - me, the two shop blokes, and the credit checking bloke.... earlier, in first shop visit today, i think there were also four - this time it was a woman, who seemed to be getting sorted with no hassle, and didn't appear to be asking any stupid questions , the like of which me and 'credit checking' bloke were asking...

ah well,

at least will hope when next my phone is turned off, that the new PIN will work to get it back operational again...

....when i went into shop on Saturday , there was one bloke and a girl there.. that bloke was there again along with a different colleague - was dealing with both chaps today, but to go into the ins and outs (referring to them as , eg , 'bloke number one' , and 'bloke number two' ) , would only complicate me post even further and leave too many discrepancies and the like,...

TLDR - got sorted (hopefully) eventually - yay :)

PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Wow, need to make coffee before I read all that. Glad you got sorted
Enoch Von Clausewitz

:D

hope it makes sense @Pog ..

between the 'principals , pin no's , puk no's etc...' , it's possibly somewhat confusing..

njoy ur coffee :lol:

now I want one , and have just made meself a cuppa tea :lol:

tea it is then :)

Glaceon
Verified Username

Post by Glaceon »

Yeah Vodafone default to 0000 on their SIMs and disable the PIN prompt by default, has to be enabled again if you want it.