Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

VPN on Fritz!Box router

PureIsle

VPN on Fritz!Box router

Post by PureIsle »

I had hoped to put a VPN on my router so that all devices in the home are covered by the one installation.
The router allows it, and it is easy to set up (can use Wireguard) and works well with one exception - the telephony system on the router gets screwed with.

Has anyone else any experience of this setup?
PogMoThoin22

Re: VPN on Fritz!Box router

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Of course the telephony gets screwed, a VPN is a tunnel to another network bypassing your providers network
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:48 pm Of course the telephony gets screwed, a VPN is a tunnel to another network bypassing your providers network
The telephony is not related to the ISP.
But I guess the cause might be that the VPN does not keep port 5060 open for telephony use which is likely a requirement.

I have played with putting a second router in the line with the external one doing telephony and the internal one for the LAN with the VPN on that. It works but far from ideal.

Maybe I should check with the VPN provider to see if they have some solution .... doubtful but might be worth asking.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Yes, this is the issue you would need your VPN provider to open the port

By adding a second router you have now created the dreaded double NAT situation which is not ideal. This may or may not be an issue depending on how you use your connection and may cause issues with some web pages (SSL). Do you use anything that likes to open it's own ports (Gaming)
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-do ... -is-it-bad
PureIsle

Post by PureIsle »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:23 pm Yes, this is the issue you would need your VPN provider to open the port

By adding a second router you have now created the dreaded double NAT situation which is not ideal. This may or may not be an issue depending on how you use your connection and may cause issues with some web pages (SSL). Do you use anything that likes to open it's own ports (Gaming)
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-do ... -is-it-bad
Thanks.

No, no gaming requirement, and while I had the double router setup I did not experience any failing web pages.

I will probably see if I can get some info from the VPN provider ... this cannot be something new for them so they might have a solution.