Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Tech tips, tricks and hacks

Norman Breaks

Tech tips, tricks and hacks

Post by Norman Breaks »

A little while ago I got a new to me S20 FE. Spent some time mucking about in the settings, as you do, and discovered the 'Modes and Routines' sub menu.
It allows you to program basic if, then type statements in the 'Routines' section.
So currently I have one "If connecting to JBL clip 3 then play music from AIMP app"
So now, I just have to turn on the speaker and AIMP will start playing right where it left off the last time I turned off the speaker. Very hand, esp in the cold weather.
I have a similar one set up for the car bluetooth.
Bonus tip: If you have a bunch of mp3s on your phone AIMP is a great player that let's you play all tracks at random and doesn't reset when you close the app.

Feel free you add your own.
Norman Breaks

Re: Tech tips, tricks and hacks

Post by Norman Breaks »

If you're interested in CAD at all and want to do some but don't what to shell out for a license try
https://www.onshape.com/en/

It's free and a pretty in depth CAD package for knocking up proto type and models. Better than Google Sketch Up from what I can see.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I have a set of Blink cameras and have had for a few years. I recently changed Wi-Fi company and had trouble getting the hub module to connect to the new network. After about 2 hours of noodling around on Reddit and trying various settings etc I eventually just called Blink. The rep went through all the obvious stuff first and eventually walked me through the steps to update the firmware of the module. This worked and I'm now back to having functional cameras. Happy days. Never would have thought it was a firmware thing.

https://blinkforhome.com/products

Glad it's all sorted now.
kadman
Verified Username

Post by kadman »

So tell me more about Blink as a solution for security camears in and around the home. Thanks.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

I got the kit with three cameras. You also get a hub. It's all on your Wi-Fi network. The hub is powered by USB but the cameras are all battery powered so are easy to install where ever you want/need them.
There is an app to go with it all. The app allows you to see what the cameras see, either pre recorded clips from motion sensing or live. This is also where you set the scheduling. By default it will send you notifications when there is motion detected.
The cameras have pretty decent night visions. There is also a way to program 'dead zones' in the motion detection to reduce false positives. For example you have a tree or bush in your yard. You can block it out from detection the wind blowing the branches.
The motion detection can be scheduled and also activated and deactivated as required using the app. I use a combo of both.

For us, the motion detection goes on at midnight and off before I get up. It goes on when we're both out of the house and goes off as I get home for lunch, back on again when I'm back and work and off as I'm getting home.
If we're heading out for a few hours on the weekend (and remember) we turn it on.

We have one pointing at the front door, one at the back and one in the basement.
You can buy additional indoor or outdoor cameras to add to your network if required.
What is great is that your motion detection clips are stored in the cloud. So if someone breaks in and discovers the cameras and then turns them away or tries to break them, you'll still have access to all the footage leading up to that.

I think that covers it. Unless you have more specific questions.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

You need to be careful adding wireless devices to your WiFi network like this. They could cause excessive use on your WiFi if they have continuous activations like leaves on trees, spiders webs etc. Wireless is a shared medium, all your devices share time using the shared frequency. It's also half duplex, each one can either send or receive like a walkie talkie, not send and receive at the same time like a cable on different pairs of cores.
Norman Breaks

Post by Norman Breaks »

PogMoThoin22 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:28 pm You need to be careful adding wireless devices to your WiFi network like this. They could cause excessive use on your WiFi if they have continuous activations like leaves on trees, spiders webs etc. Wireless is a shared medium, all your devices share time using the shared frequency. It's also half duplex, each one can either send or receive like a walkie talkie, not send and receive at the same time like a cable on different pairs of cores.
I agree, however, to my knowledge, the cameras only send data when there is a motion activation or when you use the app for live view. I've never noticed any issues with excessive internet use. Further to that, the new Wi-Fi I have has an app that let's me look up usage of all devices on the network. Currently the Blink-Sync-Module sits slightly higher on the list than my smart bulbs at a mere 2.2MB down and 2.5MB up. Or not even enough to be rounded up past 0%.

As I mentioned above, if you are getting false positives you can set motion zones.
https://support.blinkforhome.com/en_US/ ... vity-zones

So, really there is nothing to work about there.
PogMoThoin22

Post by PogMoThoin22 »

Yeah, that's what I mean, when you have cameras using wifi you need to work on the motion detection and expecially during rain at night as this can create constant motion triggers. Spiders are a curse, specially at night with IR light! A camera or 2 can be okay but I would be hesitant to add more. I have 4 cameras all wired to an NVR.