Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Virgin Media speeds

esdras

Virgin Media speeds

Post by esdras »

Does anyone here use Virgin Media?

I'm looking at their 250mb pack, and wondering how close to this normal service is?
Buzzin^Hornets
Verified Username

Re: Virgin Media speeds

Post by Buzzin^Hornets »

I've never got 250mb! In fact I've never got anywhere near what their package claims.

Get about 160mb on a good day. But it's still more than enough.
esdras

Post by esdras »

Buzzin^Hornets wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:49 am I've never got 250mb! In fact I've never got anywhere near what their package claims.

Get about 160mb on a good day. But it's still more than enough.
Video calls and some streaming would be all I need them for.

250 would work for that, do you think?
Breezin
Verified Username

Post by Breezin »

Virgin are getting a bad name where I live because of high contention, which often matters more than nominal speed.

That said, my 250mb package works ok for streaming & Zoom.
Hairy-Joe

Post by Hairy-Joe »

I don't know Virgin speeds but I'm on Eir on the 150mb package. Any time I run a speedtest, I get 150mb download speeds.
esdras

Post by esdras »

Hairy-Joe wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:31 pm I don't know Virgin speeds but I'm on Eir on the 150mb package. Any time I run a speedtest, I get 150mb download speeds.
That's fibre. Virgin is wired. Much harder to get consistent speed over coax.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

esdras wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:27 pm Does anyone here use Virgin Media?

I'm looking at their 250mb pack, and wondering how close to this normal service is?
I can but not using their wireless equipment. I used to use my own router but now I use a mesh. Wired I always got the advertised speeds.
Ozmo

Post by Ozmo »

usually about 240Mb down 25 up on my 250 connection here - so pretty much as advertised.
Daheff

Post by Daheff »

I've had loads of problems with Virgin Media in the last year or so. Internet connectivity keeps dropping. They've no idea. Last person told me it was because I had a wire from the modem to my tv and that this was interfering with the wifi :o

When it works it's good. Get ~70mbps over wifi. When it doesn't work it's appalling. Another time I spent 2 days on hold waiting to get through to find out why my internet was down.

And as for their WhatsApp messaging service....over a week waiting for a response on one query.

No way I'm paying full whack for this 'service'. Changing out for sky next week.
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

You always get better wifi by using the VM hub in bridge mode and using your own wifi router, mesh.
Supercell
Verified Username

Post by Supercell »

I've had VM for the last 10 years here and the last few weeks i'm barely getting ISDN speeds downloading in the mornig and awful 100k type speeds the rest of the time, even on Sundays and nights. They are clearly throttling UDP connections over VPN too as previouly I was getting fantastic speeds now its 110k if I'm doing well, changing to TCP helps but still far short of what i was getting six months ago.

Its not just lockdown, thats been going on for a year and a half , if anything it should be getting better now but its going the otherway. Upload speeds seem to be pretty much unchanged, my strong suspicion is severe contention.

I tried reaching out to them on WhatsApp (as the website recommends to do) but apparently they are to busy now too do that as you get a reply back saying support only takes phone calls at the moment..the mind boggles.

Last time I tried that i spent hours trying to get though to them, can only imagine they are worse now.
Going to have to bite the bullet if it keeps up like this though as its starting to affect my WFH - video calls are all but impossible around 9am in the last few weeks. I really dont understand why, the area I live (Loughlinstown) has no new apartments or developments going up in the vincinity that I know of.
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

I have the Virgin 250Mb package.
Right this minute I'm getting 82.6 mbps down and 10.85 up
Every evening about 11pm it drops through the floor - I seriously think they're choking bandwidth at that time. It drops to about 6Mbps - and is barely enough to watch Netflix unless you're wired into the modem.
They are seriously patchy and I rarely get the claimed 250Mbps
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

I'm on 240Mb / 24Mb.

Getting 246/ 24 on wifi (mesh) at the moment.

I'm using the VM Hub in modem/bridge mode only. The Wifi is disabled.
PogMoThoin

Post by PogMoThoin »

Cyclepath wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:48 pm I have the Virgin 250Mb package.
Right this minute I'm getting 82.6 mbps down and 10.85 up
Every evening about 11pm it drops through the floor - I seriously think they're choking bandwidth at that time. It drops to about 6Mbps - and is barely enough to watch Netflix unless you're wired into the modem.
They are seriously patchy and I rarely get the claimed 250Mbps
Wireless speeds cannot be guaranteed. Plug in on Ethernet and check
Cyclepath
Verified Username

Post by Cyclepath »

PogMoThoin wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:23 pm Wireless speeds cannot be guaranteed. Plug in on Ethernet and check
Yep I have done - I initially installed powerline adapters assuming it was Wifi dropout. I've since set a monitor on it for 24 hours to record the bandwidth and it's up an down like a yoyo. VM don't seem interested in me emailing them the data...
GrowlerG

Post by GrowlerG »

I never got over 90 with power line adapters. Many are only 100Mbps capable. Thats before all the issues with electrical loops and interference.

You'll actually get better speeds with decent wifi.

Or just buy a really long Ethernet cable. At least for testing.
Supercell
Verified Username

Post by Supercell »

Has anyone tried the three.ie 5G Broadband service.
Its available at my location and the "pro" version is less than what i'm paying for my VM package.
It looks great on paper though I wonder as 5G gets rolled out to more and more phones will speeds drop a lot due to contention?
Anyone any thoughts/experiences with 5G?