Welcome to GUBU.ie - if you're new here check out Housekeeping for more info. Any queries contact us.

Whats the best laptop I can get for 1k?

Whats the best laptop I can get for 1k?

Post by 490808 »

So my protracted laptop replacement quest is still ongoing, I think I've hung on with a couple of old laptops for the limited use I have for about 5 years.

On a recent trip to the UK my ancient laptop started playing up (keyboard issue - not fixed by replacing the keyboard) and this trip the trackpad gave up the ghost and stopped working. I'd been thinking of buying a second hand Dell X240 but certain keyboard worriers on another forum told me that was a waste of money and I should be buying new.

So I'm again trawling through web pages and reviews looking for a laptop. Its more than I really want to pay but I'm using the New Dell XPS 13 as a starting point (1.5k :lol: ). The 16GB model is the one I like but I think I need to reign myself in a bit and stay closer to 1k.

While its for use travelling I always travel by car so don't need an ultra thin or light laptop but from experience I also know I don't need or want anything with a massive screen. 14 inch would be OK but on the large size. A 10 inch netbook served me well for years so screen size 10-13 inch is what I'm thinking about. I'm also old and stuck in my ways so really don't want/need a touch screen. I also have a near fetish for memory so would like either the option to expand memory or start with 16GB which is a tall order in the price range. At least one traditional USB 3 port and would be useful as ideally I don't want just Thunderbolt/USB type C ports.

Re: Whats the best laptop I can get for 1k?

Post by 95438756 »

DELL.

Method to my madness : Best sound cards. They use MaxAudio software.

The other reason is that most Dell laptops come with reasonable Storage, not some measely 512GB or somthin'.

Buy from the website and make sure to specificy USB C ports in your search Dell use DPD, who used to be worse than Fastway, but I was impressed with the DPD deivery of my DELL a few years ago.

My next laptop purchase will ofcourse be a Dell too, an i7, 10th gen will do just find.
dawg

Post by dawg »

What do people do with the latest knock-your-socks-off performance laptops ?
I goof around with a bit of browsing, office and image manipulation and find a 7 year old with 8GB more than enough.
There are a lot of new laptops being bought so obviously I'm doing something wrong ... what is it ?

I feel I am ( as Harvey Norman would put it ) 'Missing Out' :oops:

Post by 765489 »

Have a look at this Continental, I've never used it myself but might be of interest. Not sure how much they knock the price though.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/outlet

Post by 490808 »

Hadn't looked a Dells returns site in years. So better prices but for the XPS I was looking for they all seem to be last years models but will do a bit more checking up as I'm not worried about dents and scratches if the thing works correctly.

Post by 490808 »

After much sober thought and very nearly spending 1.5K I'd given up looking for a couple of days.

Then on Amazon I spotted the price of an old "refurbished" ( :lol: ) Lenovo X240 had dropped a good bit. Decided against it as I'd get hit for import duties as Amazon weren't selling it. On the spur of the moment I thought I'd check eBay.ie. The result was I hopefully have a X240 on its way to me for €150 sold as a BIN from a seller in Ireland :) Even if it needs new batteries and a new HDD the most its going to cost me is another €100 (already have a spare SSD if needed). Although might see if I can find a car (12V) charger for it.
Psychedelic Hedgehog
Verified Username

Post by Psychedelic Hedgehog »

Have to say I'm very happy with my Dell XPS 13. It's smaller and lighter than the equivalent Macbook Air, and has decent battery life into the bargain.

It won't hold muster as a gaming machine, but that's a whole other market I reckon.
dawg

Post by dawg »

If you are into refurbs, I've bought run of the mill stuff off https://www.refreshedbyus.ie/refurbished-laptops

Based in Belfast so no extra duties and IIRC delivery to RoI included in price

Reasonable warranty ( had a power block replaced without a quibble )

Post by 490808 »

dawg wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:40 pm If you are into refurbs, I've bought run of the mill stuff off https://www.refreshedbyus.ie/refurbished-laptops

Based in Belfast so no extra duties and IIRC delivery to RoI included in price

Reasonable warranty ( had a power block replaced without a quibble )
Just checked them out, pleased to say if I take into account the better spec of the ebay one then its about half the price of one from that company.

I've had an X240 on my Amazon wishlist for nearly 2 years. Price back then for what I've bought on ebay was about £250, then everybody started working from home and they went up to £350.

It occured to me today that prices might be dropping as people were going back work in their offices and was just lucky to spot a BIN at a good price in Ireland.
dawg

Post by dawg »

The Continental Op wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm Just checked them out, pleased to say if I take into account the better spec of the ebay one then its about half the price of one from that company....
Thats nearly always the way with RBU. I'm happy to pay 100 or 2 for warranty and a 'cleaned' ( they scrub & reinstall software ) hdd with legit licenses

Post by 490808 »

X240 arrived today. Very nice clean machine. Just fully charging it now to see if the battery is any good. Battery seems OK but its not something I'd worry about having to replace. While its a pain to get batteries delivered to Ireland I can pick one up when I'm in the UK.

Only thing which I expected as its a know issue is the trackpad is a bit dodgy. Works OK and isn't terrible but needs a really firm click for anything to happen.

Also the usual dodgy corporate Windows 10 instal :P but that's not a big deal as there is an original Windows 7 key.

Time wasting features include a totally unexpected SIM card slot and Device Manager shows a whole load of devices without drivers. I'll no doubt get the SIM card device drivers and get it all working only to never use it :lol:

Post by 490808 »

Just an update as I mentioned I was going to mess around with the 3g/4g card. Turns out the slot was there but no card to support it so bought one on ebay from LIthuania for under €10 including delivery. Installed it and it works fine. Also got a docking station and the larger 90W psu from ebay which cost 1.50€ plus €20 delivery but the very kind seller refunded half the delivery charge after I left positive feedback :)

It was funny with the docking station I had one lined up to buy on Adverts for €30 inc power supply + £10 for postage and and offer accepted at that price on the bases I was going to pay by paypal. So then the seller asks me to either pay by friends of family or pay his commission. Guess why that deal fell through :P

Still looking for an internal battery but may never get one they are either new and expensive or second hand and probably worn out. Lenovo have what I think is a daft way of deciding which battery to use (internal or external) when on battery. The newest battery that has the least wear on it is used first, I'd prefer it if the external battery was used before the internal. Anyway one more reason for not buying a new internal battery.

Now I'm looking for x240 (or 250/260) for another member of the family.